Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pedal Recall..are You Worried?

waxxy

just had a phone call too ask when id like to get my car fixed .im booked in for overtime this week so itll be next week when i get the job done :)

if you want the job doing quickly just call up the dealership you bought it from and theyll arrange a day for you to go in and get the job done .dealerships now have a list of the cars that need doing so its quicker and easier than waiting for a letter to arrive and the letter will need signing for so if your not in itll take longer to do best call them and arrange it to be done.the guy told me it will take upto 1 hour to do the job.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• reece

• waxxy

• Parts-King

• Raeman

I’d rather Toyota change the whole pedal assembly for the type that are not affected than have a metal plate stuffed under the spring with a screwdriver!

I wonder how much a new pedal costs.

I’m also disappointed that I haven’t heard one single thing from my dealer. All the information about the recall is from the media.

They could have emailed me, telephoned me or even write to me just to keep me updated and what the plan is, I think it’s a bit of a PR disaster for Toyota.

Funny thing is I received a VIP invitation this week from Mr T inviting me to a special closed showroom viewing for special discounts on cars, but no information on the fault.

[i agree theres been more info in the media than from the dealers but some of the dealers dont know whats going on.

when i called them about my car they didnt even know toyota had updated there website so people could check there own cars and book them in.

also the parts in question are in short supply in some areas ive spoke too.so its first come first served in some places.

it does look like a dodgy repair but toyota say there 100 percent sure itll work and im gonna make sure i get a recipt and make sure they stamp my log book to say the jobs been done because i think when it comes to sell your car in a few years time some people will check to see if the car has had the modification or not and if it hasnt it will be hard too sell your car at a decent price.

there also gonna check my gear problem the mechanic said to make sure he fixs the gear properly it may have to come back when its colder if its warmed up next week or leave it there for a day or two so he can do the gears first thing in the morning so once its fixed he can check it in cold weather..it seems they know all about the 2nd gear problem now and know how to fix it.

I’m also disappointed that I haven’t heard one single thing from my dealer. All the information about the recall is from the media.

They could have emailed me, telephoned me or even write to me just to keep me updated and what the plan is, I think it’s a bit of a PR disaster for Toyota.

It would not make sense for the dealer to contact customers before Toyota do, many buy cars from outside the area. The whole campaign is being co-ordinated by Toyota GB, they are the ones who have the very latest customer information from DVLA and are in a far better position to handle the mass mailing that will be required. Imagine every dealer in the country sending out mail, emails and phone calls on the same day? The dealer network would collapse under the rush of people contacting you the next day wanting the job done. The mailings are being phased so that it gives the dealers chance to carry out the repairs. Our dealerships will have to find over 3000 hours to rectify this issue, something which cannot be done overnight, but with planning, extra long opening hours and a degree of common sense, then we will get through it in about 4-5 weeks

The parts were only available to us from today and the customer mailing lists produced the day before. You will get a letter from Toyota if your car is affected, your dealer will probably call you as well, but please consider that each pedal repair will take an hour and every customer wants it repaired as soon as possible

The fix is not a sixpence or a similar piece of metal, but a precision, shimmed piece of cut steel. Not some sort of bodge but a precision cut shim that gives the fly by wire style of pedal resistance when you apply pressure to the pedal. Toyota would not botch this recall up and have to do it all again next year. The fix is a permanent FIX

For all the latest information, visit the LINDOP TOYOTA WEBSITE or click on the link in my signature below >>>>>

Kingo :thumbsup:

I'd prefer a new pedal :(

Do the new cars coming out now that aren’t affected have the fix in place or do they have new pedal assemblies?

Well i took my star wars figure back to the toy shop today but was told that there is no recall at the moment on...

TOY YODA'S!! :lol::lol::rolleyes:

I'd prefer a new pedal :(

Do the new cars coming out now that aren’t affected have the fix in place or do they have new pedal assemblies?

The fix is applied in manufacture

and im gonna make sure i get a recipt and make sure they stamp my log book to say the jobs been done because i think when it comes to sell your car in a few years time some people will check to see if the car has had the modification or not and if it hasnt it will be hard too sell your car at a decent price.

erm.... what? If its not been done the new owner will just get it done... you do have some 'interesting' ideas Waxxy!

I typed yesterday my registration number into the Toyota website for a quick check if I'll be re-called. Even though my Yaris is from July 2009, it said I am not affected... anyone understands something of it? :dontgetit:

I typed yesterday my registration number into the Toyota website for a quick check if I'll be re-called. Even though my Yaris is from July 2009, it said I am not affected... anyone understands something of it? :dontgetit:

My wife's yaris was purchased in July 2009 and it will be recalled.

I believe that the accelerator pedals were sourced from two suppliers. Only one source is faulty, the other is fine.

As a matter of interest will you just try entering your chassis number into the website instead of your Reg number please

The fix might not be needed on your model/specific chassis number

there also gonna check my gear problem the mechanic said to make sure he fixs the gear properly it may have to come back when its colder if its warmed up next week or leave it there for a day or two so he can do the gears first thing in the morning so once its fixed he can check it in cold weather..it seems they know all about the 2nd gear problem now and know how to fix it.

Hi all, my first post so please be gentle with me. I bought my Yaris 2nd hand at the weekend. It is a 57 plate, 2 yrs 2 months old. Anyway, I have noticed this 1st up to 2nd gear thing too but only when the car is cold. Never noticed it on the test drive (presumably the garage had warmed the car up first) but am certainly aware of a grind if I try to go straight from 1st into 2nd when cold. I have tried to do what you good people here have suggested, ie shift into neutral for a split second, and lo and behold, no grinding at all and a smooth shift. So, on reading here that there is an actual fix for it, I have decided to get Toyota to have a look at it. I phoned up this morning to book a full service (only 1 stamp in the book from a year ago) and mentioned that I was having problems. Your man said that he would check it out whilst doing the service, and if anything needed changing, it would be covered under warranty, he also said that there is 2 recalls on my car that need to be done. So, I am glad I phoned now. Anyway, hello everybody!!

I have not had a letter from Toyota yet, but I received a phone call from my local dealer offering me an appointment next week. I am not at all worried about the repair, but have accepted their appointment.

I thought that they would be doing the oldest first and surprised because mine is not quite 2 years old and has only done just over 8,000 miles.

I have a hunch that as the Urban Cruiser is not affected, then 1.33 Yari may also be exempt as they share running gear. If I enter my reg no then it says we are not affected, I'll try the VIN tonight.

Just phoned home and got the VIN from the OH and the VIN shows as clear too.

After viewing the various clips on "youtube" examples below =

I am a bit confused as to the original diagnosis of the cause of the "Sticking Accelerator" problem. From what I have read on the various reports on this issue, it was considered that the "Wear of the mating surfaces of the Friction Material" was the prime cause of this problem. The "Friction Material" being incorporated in the mechanism to give a realistic feel to the pedal.

However the above Demo clips seem to indicate that Toyota's solution to the problem is to simply just Increase the Return Spring Pressure, by the Insertion of a "Metal Spacer Shim" behind the Return Spring,

This would surly imply that the Sticking Problem is simply a week Return Spring, - - - or have I missed something?

As a matter of interest will you just try entering your chassis number into the website instead of your Reg number please

Did that. Still no recall on me ... :huh:

Then keep driving and smiling....You are not affected. Not all cars in a chassis number range are affected ;)

I am a bit confused as to the original diagnosis of the cause of the "Sticking Accelerator" problem. From what I have read on the various reports on this issue, it was considered that the "Wear of the mating surfaces of the Friction Material" was the prime cause of this problem. The "Friction Material" being incorporated in the mechanism to give a realistic feel to the pedal.

However the above Demo clips seem to indicate that Toyota's solution to the problem is to simply just Increase the Return Spring Pressure, by the Insertion of a "Metal Spacer Shim" behind the Return Spring,

This would surly imply that the Sticking Problem is simply a week Return Spring, - - - or have I missed something?

The original mating surfaces were a nylon type material, this gave the "feel" In certain conditions (damp etc) and with a certain amount of wear, it was possible that the pedal may be slow to return

The "Fix" is a precision steel shim that will still give a friction mating surface but will eliminate the possibility of sticking. It has nothing to do with a weak return spring

The original mating surfaces were a nylon type material, this gave the "feel" In certain conditions (damp etc) and with a certain amount of wear, it was possible that the pedal may be slow to return

The "Fix" is a precision steel shim that will still give a friction mating surface but will eliminate the possibility of sticking. It has nothing to do with a weak return spring?

Thanks Kingo, Then am I wrong in Interpreting from the video, that the "precision steel shim" is inserted under the Return Spring, I have viewed the clip again and it does appear to be pushed with a screwdriver under the Spring?

No it does'nt go under the spring directly, there is a space between the friction lever and pedal housing. The video simplifies the whole procedure, the precision steel shim fits in the space mentioned above.

OK, lets get things into proportion here.....

Biggest car manufacturer in the world, selling more cars than anyone else... A problem arises... MORE CARS AFFECTED!!!

It will take a month or two to fix but most cars can still be driven safely, providing you are a little more dilligent and pay heed to any slight sticking of the pedal as the problem is progressive, IE, it gets worse with time!

s a sriving instructor, I have seen that the DSA will not take tests in affected vehicles, until a rectification has been made, same as Clio's with dodgy bonnet catches, etc.

Many cars have had mods done due to faults, again, many without the owner even knowing as they do it during routine services. When there is an official recall, it takes a while to notify owners, especially as there are so many owners out there, many of whom may have sold the cars on prior to the fault being spotted, many since, meaning Mr. T is playing 'Catch-up'!

Bare in mind, reports in the media are, by thier own nature, sensationalised! The job of news reporters is to SELL! not impart a balanced fair opinion. When there is no real news, they go over and over the slivers of sh.. tuff they have.

Look elsewhere, for example, KTM, a motorcycle manufacturer, has NOT re-called a bike, that has brakes that seize up after being ridden on salty roads. This is because they say in the owners manual that you need to wash the brakes properly after EVERY ride in these conditions.

VOSA agreed with them as that is the protocol yet if Toyota adopted this strategy, the worlds press would cruicify them... how could every motorist wash their brakes after driving? Yet that is what a small manufacturer of bikes tells you to do.

You may think they use cheap parts, to stick so easily but they use brakes made FOR the machine, by one of the most respected brakes manufacturers out there... I bet lots of people here have used their parts to upgrade their car brakes.

I wont name them, but it starts with a B and finishes with rembo! If you can work it out, well done!

Received a letter today informing my car falls within the year/range criteria for the fix, and I will hear from toyota soon about when it can get done.

I'm not fussed at all - if the throttle sticks I'm competent enough to control the car without injuring myself or anyone else...

I’d rather Toyota change the whole pedal assembly for the type that are not affected than have a metal plate stuffed under the spring with a screwdriver!

I wonder how much a new pedal costs.

It's a little more than $400, so that would be over 250 pounds for you. So don't expect Mr. T to be doling these out like candy. In the recall notice over here, it states that if the customer doesn't like the feel of the pedal after the fix, Toyota will replace the pedal assembly. But only for those who complain.

Then keep driving and smiling....You are not affected. Not all cars in a chassis number range are affected ;)

:driving:

A Complete Guide To Toyota’s Accelerator Pedals: Stripdown, Pictures, Toyota’s Fix, Analysis, Commentary. =

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/ttacs-com...sis-commentary/

Click on Parts 1 to 6

The Link above contains a Complete Practical guide to the Toyota "Fix" - This type of Modification by its nature, must surly noticeably change the feel of the pedal, - therefore I'm sure we would all like to know =

What is the consensus of opinion of the members of this Forum - that have already had this Procedure carried out, - as to the perceived change of feel to the pedal, if any?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links