Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Stopped Starting After A Battery Replacement

PNudrzewski

Hi,

It seems my car stopped working and it is not clear for me what could be the reason for that. Hope someone will be able to give me here a good direction.

It started with leaving the interior light switched on by my daughter. As I keep my car in an underground car park and did not use it for a few days the car's Battery died. I took the Battery home and charged it for over 1.5 days (finaly I replaced the Battery with a new one). However after mounting the battery back in the car the engine stopped starting. Whan I put a key into the ignition and turn it to start the engine I can hear it tries but doesn't start (I got an impression the engine starts for a half a second and then stops back). The immobiliser light is off over that time.

Has anyone seen similar issue?

My car details:

Avensis T4 Estate

Model: AZT250R-AWPEHW

Update: 2005.4

Engine: 1AZ-FSE 2000cc 16-value DOHC EFI

Transmission: 4FC ATM, 4-speed

The car had the immobiliser box replaced about 2 years ago. No issues reported after that.

I would appreciate any directions/recommendations.

Regards,

Paul

Thanks Q.S.

The Battery polarity is fine. The lights on the dashboard are on. The problem is that the starter can't run the engine. It tries but can't.

Hi,

I had that happen years ago.

Left my car in a remote place with the parking lights on.

Bought a new Battery, only to find that the brand new one was also completely dead.

Got another Battery, from the same supplier, and that worked.

Lesson learned: Always have a new Battery tested and charged before first use. :(

Hi,

I had that happen years ago.

Left my car in a remote place with the parking lights on.

Bought a new battery, only to find that the brand new one was also completely dead.

Got another battery, from the same supplier, and that worked.

Lesson learned: Always have a new battery tested and charged before first use. :(

Good point Thermal, new batteries should always be charged for at least 30 minutes before fitting. Other than that, may be starter motor is goosed or high resistance on one of the main leads.

Thanks Q.S. and Thermal.

The Battery is not the problem. The engine trying to start but it looks like there is no fuel pumped to the engine...

Thanks Q.S. and Thermal.

The battery is not the problem. The engine trying to start but it looks like there is no fuel pumped to the engine...

Ah, I see, engine is turning over ok but not starting. You need to first find out if the problem is ignition (spark) or fuel.

If the fuel pump is not delivering fuel, check the fuse.

i have come across this before try turning ignition on for 15 to 20 minutes this sounds like immobiliser fault this procedure works with lexus if this does not may have to have keys reprogrammed hope this helps regards jim

check to make sure immobiliser light stops flashing

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links