Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What's That Noise?

shinypots

I'm impressed with the sensible replies on this forum, so hope you can help.

I recently bought an immaculate looking black '03 T-Spirit 2.0 Auto with 75k miles.

To date:-

However, later discovered it had had major head gasket surgery at Main Dealer 24k ago. See others have had this with Avensis. Hope it doesn't indicate future worries.

First week, the Battery and the washer bottle pump packed up. Also bought the updated SatNav CD and 'Avensis' mats.

To allay any fears about the car I decided to have it fully checked out along with a Main Dealer 80k service. They checked out a deep whining sound from the front that gets worse when speed builds up and a "loose clunking sound" from the front as if the springs/dampers are loose on the turrets(although no juddering through the wheel). They said they couldn't find anything amiss, but still changed o/s/f wheel bearing and put two brand new Goodyears (their recommendation) on the front. (Rear tyres were recent additions too)

Amazingly, the dealer doesn't reset the tracking! Had to go elsewhere, plus have the steering wheel put back level.

The whining sound hasn't gone away.

The service rep now says the other bearing may have gone! But, he also says the Avensis is known for terrible road roar (a loud howling sound?) especially on these wide low profile tyres and I just need to accept it, or change the car/n/s/f bearing/change to another tyre brand!!!

This week, both headlamps failed and I paid £450 for two complete units. Again, I see that's a known Avensis problem.

So, I've spent over £1500 on repairs/servicing and I still have the howling wheel/tyre sound above 50mph!! Should I be worried for the future?

Can anyone pinpoint the source, please?

I like the fit and finish of the car and it looks great. But the whirring sound is spoiling every journey beyond trips to the shops!

Thanks

Steve

hi there recently had my avensis in dealers for making noise from front end it was making noise every time i took foot of accelerater the guy new straight away it was the air intake box had come loose said it needed some tape on it fixed it straight away no charge hope this helps not sure about other noise

Hi there...My sympathy goes out to you...i've had numerous problems with my Avensis too. Okay yours is a little newer than mine...i purchased a 2001 51 hatchback 1.8vvti SR 3 months back...Only bought it because i thought they were highly reliable and the condition of it for a 86500 miler was amazing...but as they say "you cant tell a book by its cover"...the engine light came on the day of purchase as i drove it home...the next week the Battery died...then the cv joint...hole in the backbox...engine making a wierd rumbling sound...gers got as stiff as hell...etc etc! My partner always says they should have called it an Aven**** instead of Avensis lol! I used to own a Carina 2.0 CDX years back and when i say that was solid and smooth...it was a dream i tell you. Problem with me is i get very bored of a car and have to replace it every 2 years...but this car has to go when my insurance runs out on it early next year! I think the perfect buyer for any avensis has to be a competent mechanic with a ramp in their home garage! anyway i hope you sort things out...i would recommend you throw away any more $ at it...i would trade it in if you can afford to. The new 2010 avensis look very sexy...but never a toyota again for me! takecare. Sorry if i bored the hell out of you lol!

Sam

Hi,

I have a 2007 VVTi 2.0 Auto T Spirit and a 4AFE based 1999 T Reg Mk1 Avensis.. I agree road noise for the T-Spirit is high - the reason is pretty simple - the engine noise is very much less as compared to older engines. I know this for a fact because on my older avensis, the engine sounded louder. so road noise was not to be heard much. :)..the more the width of the tire, the higher the grip and possibly more road noise...

Anyways, I agree that toyotas are not without their issues. My older avensis has the starter solenoid sticking after the engine starts up..it sounds irritating...yet it never failed from starting the very first time...The clutch was hard, the gears were notchy...I chose to just shut my eyes to these minor irritations ....and no issues so far...

Thanks for your replies. It seems the tyres are the root cause and until I can afford to change them, I'll just have to put up with the noise!!

Thanks,

Steve

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links