Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Second Fill Up

wizzlon

Which is why it will be very interesting to see his results over a period of time.

You won't be able to convince all the people out there. There is not a vehicle out there that is automatic, can seat 5 with luggage, with a 0-60 time of 10 seconds that will get 50 mpg on official figures let alone real life where they are usually less. If there is, let me know.

Diesel as a fuel has always had its fans and the peak in the late 90's early 2000's did convince more people that it was indeed economical compared to petrol. Then along comes some weird looking Japanese thing which says it can do better on petrol - well, it can't be true, it must be overly complicated etc etc. I know, because that's what I used to think until I took one for a test drive.

Now I know what it can do, and more importantly I know what it saves me - enough to virtually cover the car payments each month! Out of the 100 drivers in my company, some think I'm crazy getting a Prius, others think it doesn't do the mpg, some think it's ugly and some are open minded enough to look into it as a viable proposition.

What I do know is that diesel as a fuel for cars will struggle to meet the required future emissions legislation and will probably fade away back to being a fuel for trucks and busses again. I'm sure there will still be a market for diesel cars such as 4x4's but that's about it. But that's just my personal opinion and everyone has their own views.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dervdave

• Grumpy Cabbie

• Seamaster73

• wizzlon

What I do know is that diesel as a fuel for cars will struggle to meet the required future emissions legislation and will probably fade away back to being a fuel for trucks and busses again. I'm sure there will still be a market for diesel cars such as 4x4's but that's about it. But that's just my personal opinion and everyone has their own views.

Trucks and tractors. That's all diseasel will continue to fuel.

I can see it being banned from city centres before the decade is out. It's very antisocial.

I suppose I`ll get the blame for the diesel/petrol debate rearing its ugly pointless head again.

Just for the record I buy/drive anything that takes my fancy irrespective of what fuels it so if the thread is going to deteriorate into slagging any particular one I`m out of it. ;)

I suppose I`ll get the blame for the diesel/petrol debate rearing its ugly pointless head again.

Just for the record I buy/drive anything that takes my fancy irrespective of what fuels it so if the thread is going to deteriorate into slagging any particular one I`m out of it. ;)

I don't have any particular concern about diesel as such, it is simply that most of my driving is in urban traffic and therefore at relatively low speed and for short distances. The introduction of particulate filters aimed at reaching the legislated emission levels appears to give significant problems when driving mostly under these conditions and I therefore decided to stay away from diesel. If I did a lot of motorway driving I think the argument would be different.

It is when I see driving instructions like the following that I become wary:

"The DPF filters, harmful particulates (soot) from the exhaust gas and has been designed to regenerate (clean) itself automatically, however it can only do this by heating the DPF to high temperature, the ECU injects additional fuel on the exhaust stoke to increase exhaust gas temperatures to raise DPF temperature(600ºC) to ignite and clean the soot away, however it can only do this at high RPM (above 2.000rpm) so if it comes on, you need to drive at high speed for 20-30minutes to clean the DPF.

If the DPF light is the only warning light on, you should drive vehicle at over 2000 rpm (to raise exhaust temperature) for 20 minutes without delay, this should regenerate the particulate filter (burn off the accumulated soot) and the light should go out.

If you have DPF light and the engine management light are on together, have vehicle towed to dealer. The dealer will be able to make the vehicle, with the aid of EOBD diagnostic equipment go into forced regeneration and clear filter. Don't run vehicles with diesel particulate filters on 100% bio-diesel only use EN 590. Only use low ash engine oil".

Here is another one, from a German manufacturer:

"For the regeneration process to be initiated in the diesel particulate filter, the exhaust gas temperature is increased

by the engine management system.

In the event of frequent short trips, the exhaust gas temperature cannot reach a sufficient level. Regeneration

cannot be carried out successfully. Subsequent regeneration procedures that are carried out with excessively high

levels of carbon soot deposit can lead to overheating and damage to the particulate filter. The filter could become

blocked due to a high level of carbon deposit. This blockage in the filter could cause the engine to fail.

In order to prevent these cases from happening, a diesel particulate filter warning lamp will be activated in the

dash panel insert once a specific limit is reached in the filter storage capacity or after a certain number of

unsuccessful regeneration procedures.

The driver is thereby requested to drive the vehicle at increased speed for a short period of time in order that the

required exhaust gas temperature can be reached for purposes of diesel particulate filter regeneration".

Which is a shame. I would be very interested to see how my MPG compares with the Verso. I don't have an axe to grind either way (petrol v diesel). I was looking for an automatic that can take 5 people and luggage, is fine with long haul and short haul journeys, and can deliver a high MPG. Diesels can do this but when things were priced up, the Prius was the cheaper option for me.

Which is a shame. I would be very interested to see how my MPG compares with the Verso. I don't have an axe to grind either way (petrol v diesel).

Well its not a problem posting the Versos mpg for anyone who`s really interested and can use the figures for genuine comparisons J. :)

It's all about what we like- the whole package, not just one aspect or another. Believe it or not some people think I'm ugly.........

No- correct that, all people think I'm ugly. :censor:

When the oil runs out- petrol and diesel will vanish together. At least I'll be able to smugly creep another mile or so on Battery before having to buy a horse.

If we all had to buy a horse that would produce some interesting pollution problems.

Come that time we'll have nuclear powered vehicles or maybe hydrogen powered vehicles. So don't worry too much about the future! :)

I'm getting 54 - 55mpg going up n down the M1 though the average speed bits help a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Come that time we'll have nuclear powered vehicles or maybe hydrogen powered vehicles. So don't worry too much about the future! :)

I'm getting 54 - 55mpg going up n down the M1 though the average speed bits help a lot.

Just coming up to 3000 miles now- and have been in Dorset on hols for a week. Covered 647 miles with average of 57mpg.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links