Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Second Fill Up

wizzlon

You are a Grumpy bugger !

The remark about the Jag was said in jest hence the smilely

Lighten up man :wacko:

There were a few smilely faces in mine too to try and show I wasn't being angry, though maybe mildly annoyed :unsure::crybaby:

Was working late last night so have a tired head and my patience worn out after dealing with drunken 'yoofs' and all their shenanigans :help:

I don't know how much you have read about the Prius verses diesel but there are many benefits for urban use. A few of my fellow cabbies in town have had no end of problems with DPF's clogging because of continual urban use, and repair is often not a warranty item! Generally a petrol car in my job gets about 26 mpg, a diesel about 28-32 mpg (auto/man). That's driven in the conditions explained above and can increase if you get an airport run or two. The Prius gets about 45 mpg (horrific traffic day) to 55 mpg on an airport run. If I take it easy on the long runs I've had it upto 65+ mpg. Now the long run figures arn't much different to a diesel of similar size but the urban mileage is.

The Prius almost seems too good to be true and because of that a lot of people don't believe the figures. I'd get another one tomorrow, oh and I'll add this - the fuel savings on the Prius against my last diesel almost cover the loan payments! I get a brand new car for £50 a month :yahoo:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dervdave

• Grumpy Cabbie

• Seamaster73

• wizzlon

Was working late last night so have a tired head and my patience worn out after dealing with drunken 'yoofs' and all their shenanigans :help:

Understandable Grumps, you deserve a medal :)

No bull, your a professional driver who`s vehicle is his bread and butter and if the car fits your requirements thats all that matters.

It's all about what we like to drive. Before Prius I had a peugeot 2.0 hdi- belter of a car and a landrover Td5. My fuel bill now for the small mileage I do is £40 month less. My reason for the prius was looking at the bankruptcy of the Government where will they get the cash? If you don't work they can't tax income. Provided you are a normal chap you may drink and smoke- so clobber those. The next stage is the drivers- if you have to travel then they will take it in fuel tax and RFL. RFL of zero is great- and I see only more and more pressure to tax "gas guzzlers"- a nonsense term anyway, but a good excuse.When I win the lottery it'll be a Veyron for me...... :lol:

My reason for the prius was looking at the bankruptcy of the Government where will they get the cash? If you don't work they can't tax income. Provided you are a normal chap you may drink and smoke- so clobber those. The next stage is the drivers- if you have to travel then they will take it in fuel tax and RFL. RFL of zero is great- and I see only more and more pressure to tax "gas guzzlers"-When I win the lottery it'll be a Veyron for me.

I like you !

Your a pesimist and an optimist (you win either way :lol: )

Edited by dervdave

Lets kill the diesel / hybdir debate.

I used to have a megane 1.9D which on my commute used to average about 55MPG. Town and Country 50/50 split. best was probably 60.

My Gen3 prius has so far averaged 62MPG and is improving as the weather warms up.

Some days I have achieved 75MPG and am looking forward to the perfect day when I might even top 80mpg.

No brainer, hybrid is doing the buisness on MPG

My Gen3 prius has so far averaged 62MPG and is improving as the weather warms up.

Some days I have achieved 75MPG and am looking forward to the perfect day when I might even top 80mpg.

Very pleased to hear it Kevin and more in line with what I would`ve expected but I can`t help noticing, just as my mpg figures were queried, the big increase in your mpg over some of the others. :unsure:

Its a sad fact of my life that I like to get the best out of any car I have owned in terms of MPG.

This is my second Prius after the megane and I was achieving pretty good MPG in the last one (best tank 66)

Steady foot, very light on the brakes and using normal drive to get up to speed if required, but mostly Eco.

One thing that scares me (and yes, did used to be a bit of a boy racer) is the sheer acceleration when using Power, but the MPG doesn't half drop. All I think about then is the ever increasing price of fuel, and the Eco button gets pushed. But its certtainly fun for those few seconds.

Its a sad fact of my life that I like to get the best out of any car I have owned in terms of MPG.

This is my second Prius after the megane and I was achieving pretty good MPG in the last one (best tank 66)

Steady foot, very light on the brakes and using normal drive to get up to speed if required, but mostly Eco.

One thing that scares me (and yes, did used to be a bit of a boy racer) is the sheer acceleration when using Power, but the MPG doesn't half drop. All I think about then is the ever increasing price of fuel, and the Eco button gets pushed. But its certtainly fun for those few seconds.

Those are pretty impressive and consistant figures. What sort of trip do you do? Are they long, hilly, flat etc?

15 miles each way.

Start flat for 1 mile, Then up hill for about 1.5 country roads. (30 - 40 MPH) - ICE normally on all the way.

6 Miles a road pretty flat with some ups and downs into a built up area. (50 - 60 MPH)- Varying ICE usage

Steep up hill and then a nice steady drop into Mansfield for about 4 Miles (30 MPH) - ICE rarely used

Steep climb for about 1/4 mile and then nice and flat for the remaining 2 miles (all at 30 - 35 MPH) _ ICE to go up, but then its off.

I never switch to EV and Battery charge can vary wildly fron 2 bars to 6 bars depending on traffic flow.

And of course the reverse each evening.

On a cold day, I might take a detour on an A road where speeds are a little higher due to Duel Carriageway, but there are some steeper longer hills to go up and down (great going down)

I find that I get better economy on these runs when its really cold outside. Presumably because the ICE warm up quicker on the faster roads.

I've looked at my MPG figures and must admit that I'm using computer figures rather than acctual, but that only a difference of about 2 - 3 mpg differnece, depending on how keen I am to commpletely fill the tank.

*****, my spelling/typing is crap today.

Sorry

I was the happy owner of a 2.2Hdi Citroen C5 for 7 years, and this had an overall mpg of 40, which I was extremely happy with. (Previous to that was an Alfa 156 which only gave 28...). The C5's best ever was 47, and worst was 34 on one tank.

My Gen 3 Prius has, in 2.5 months, given 56mpg overall (Fuelly confirmed), and with around 1200 mile per month, I'm saving £50 on fuel alone. Insurance is around £15 a month cheaper, and tax is £0. Overall, this car is saving me £80 every month. And it's a reasonable size too, unlike many of the cars which deliver a similar mpg rating.

If I keep it for three years, and if servicing costs are similar to those of the C5, at current prices I'll be almost £3000 in pocket.

I do miss some of the C5 features though - automatic lights, better layout of controls (e.g. a cruise control lever which doesn't go round with the steering wheel... central locking in the centre of the dash rather than tucked away on the driver's door.... under seat storage for CDs and junk....) but the Prius makes up for some of these in other ways.

I guess in three years there will be more cars like this, and more all-electrics too. It's the way it's going!

Isn't the verso a smaller car than the prius?

My cousin's 1.0 Yaris gets better mpg than my prius but it's hardly a fair comparison. :)

Isn't the verso a smaller car than the prius?

Doesn't matter, diesel is better and we're all weird beards fooled into so called 'green' motoring. :rolleyes:

The facts however, speak for themselves. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't matter, diesel is better and we're all weird beards fooled into so called 'green' motoring. :rolleyes:

The facts however, speak for themselves. :thumbsup:

Sure do Grumps !

As a point of interest I`ve just brimmed the Verso again,30.22 litres 389miles on the trip :toast: :P :lol:

(No long motorway journeys)

As a point of interest I`ve just brimmed the Verso again...

Aye, we can smell it from here.

What a wit you are ?

I agree it`s a different smell to petrol :rolleyes:

What a wit you are ?

I agree it`s a different smell to petrol :rolleyes:

Glad to see you've got your 'fuelly' signature up and running. You're able to edit it to show your mileage per fill up and then it will work out your average mpg. Don't forget to select UK mpg and not US :eek:

Glad to see you've got your 'fuelly' signature up and running.

Only at your suggestion GC and only as a point of interest, I`m not after scoring points. ;)

Just done my second fill up today. Last time I went to the pumps was in March. Mixture of short journeys around town, trips to nearby fen towns and longer runs on A roads and duel carriageways including some hills. Mileage acheived is according to Fuelly the average for UK driving for the 2nd Gen. I expect that my next fill up will be towards middle of June maybe longer if the weather warms up again.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see you've got your 'fuelly' signature up and running.

Only at your suggestion GC and only as a point of interest, I`m not after scoring points. ;)

No point scoring but (and I'm saying this in good heart) you did come on this site questioning the reliability of the fuel economy figures for the Prius.

You have previously mentioned that you believe the Prius returns unremarkable mpg, though my average of 48 mpg which includes much heavy start stop traffic is only a few mpg lower than the Toyota rated mpg for the diesel Verso, and many other owners have much higher average mpg figures. I have invited you to update your fuelly signature with your fill ups so we can see what your Verso is actually getting as an average over an entire tank.

As yet, this has not been forthcoming, so do we assume your Verso is not coming close to the 52mpg official figures?

As yet, this has not been forthcoming, so do we assume your Verso is not coming close to the 52mpg official figures?

Wrong again GC, I haven`t refuelled yet !

Are you sitting on the edge of your chair waiting ? :lol:

I`ve already told you I`m not after point scoring so the Versos mpg will be posted irrespective of what they are.

Well it says you have one fuel up on the fuelly signature but no miles have been entered so it remains 0 mpg. If you were to edit this to reflect the miles you covered on this tank (I believe you posted it on a post somewhere) then it would automatically calculate the overall tank mpg. Then each time you fill up it will calculate the average mpg you cover.

Well it says you have one fuel up on the fuelly signature but no miles have been entered so it remains 0 mpg.

Its the original fuel up and miles I registered with it hasn`t anything to base the comparison on yet.

I `ve got to add though that I don`t really give a monkeys what anyones mpg is and only passed a comment on the Prius because it seemed so unremarkable and started the fuel check after rising to your `challenge` :D

Oh I see, you're entering your vehicle mileage in rather than the miles covered with the tank?

only passed a comment on the Prius because it seemed so unremarkable

Not what I have experienced :)

I am well pleased with the mpg so far and now the weather is warming up, the mpg is on the increase.

I guess your Verso is manual being the 2.0D TR ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links