Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ae86 4A-Gte Engine Rebuild

AE_92

Hi all as some of you will know I blow the engine on my ae86 Decided to rebuilt it with stronger parts and hope of some better reliability I know my major problem is the ecu as no one in the UK(and probably in the whole of Europe) can map this thing! so iam looking into getting a different Ecu (anyone recomend any decent ecu's?)

any way here are some pic's

here's the car looking sad :(

20100617_004.jpg

20100617_005.jpg

Now you see it

20100617_009.jpg

Now you dont magic! :D

20100617_057.jpg

20100617_068.jpg

also has a os Giken super single clutch which is nice the only thing bad about is its pretty worn out which is not nice as a rebuild kit cost 300+ quid :(

http://www.rhdjapan.com/os-giken-super-single-clutch-overhaul-kit-a-11947

20100617_064.jpg

20100617_075.jpg

20100617_074.jpg

also striped the block to see what had failed a lot of guys were saying that the ring lands have gone and I was thinking it was the piston rings which have failed but both the rings and the ring lands are f***ed :(

piston no.1 bottom compression ring has multiple cracks and the ringland fell apart in my hands

20100617_089.jpg

20100617_088.jpg

20100617_090.jpg

pistons 2 and 3 were ok

piston 4 had some cracks on the ring land

20100617_082.jpg

20100617_079.jpg

20100617_080.jpg

thats all for now will update when I get more stuff done :D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AE_92

• KPARRIS-JONES

• 4afte

• dawesy

Holy crap that's some serious damage! :o

Glad you are sorting it out though. :yes:

I am going for a Haltech PS1000 fully reprogrammable ECU, there is the Haltech PS2000 but the 1000 is for up to 5 Cyl. engines and they are also suitable for Turbo and Charger applications. :D

PS1000

Look at my price list and it has the UK GBP price. Something like £945.... :o

The same people do many clutches so take a look around. :thumbsup:

Holy crap that's some serious damage! :o

Glad you are sorting it out though. :yes:

I am going for a Haltech PS1000 fully reprogrammable ECU, there is the Haltech PS2000 but the 1000 is for up to 5 Cyl. engines and they are also suitable for Turbo and Charger applications. :D

PS1000

Look at my price list and it has the UK GBP price. Something like £945.... :o

The same people do many clutches so take a look around. :thumbsup:

that haltech looks good nice price to like the sound of anti lag and Launch control lol :D

Nooooooooo lets hope you get it fixed quickly (as in, in time for JAE) :thumbsup:

dont worry it will be fixed...............it's actually already fixed lol these pic's were taken about two and a half mouths ago :thumbsup:

Good. Tell me what it's like before I go for one. :P :lol:

In one word It's LONG!! lots of late nights, lots of stress, lots of waiting for parts to arrive and lot of research

but it was great fun :thumbsup:

ha yeh it is exactly the same with mine. Can't wait for this weekend, should be taking a nice look at my crank and rods fairly soon. :D

ha yeh it is exactly the same with mine. Can't wait for this weekend, should be taking a nice look at my crank and rods fairly soon. :D

stripping a engine down is great fun to :thumbsup:

then comes the long and boring task of cleaning eeeeeveryyy sssssinnnngle part :yawn: ............except the parts you are going to replace they come nice and clean and shiny :lol::thumbsup:

Yeh so true! The only standard parts will be the block, head, TVIS, oil pump and gearbox! :lol:

Btw, do you know what paint was used on the block? It doesn't look like high temp paint to me... :huh:

Yeh so true! The only standard parts will be the block, head, TVIS, oil pump and gearbox! :lol:

Btw, do you know what paint was used on the block? It doesn't look like high temp paint to me... :huh:

not sure when I sprayed mine I just sprayed normal paint on it seems to be fine

Ok here comes the fun part, all my nice and new and shiny parts :yahoo: ..................but took over 2 months to get them all!! :ffs:

20100712_001.jpg

20100801_001.jpg

in the pic's:

Arias 82mm forged low compression pistons (8.6:1)

Spool H-beam Con rods

ARP rod bolts

ARP Head studs

ARP Main studs

ARP Flywheel bolts

ACL Main bearings

ACL Con rod bearings

ACL Thrust washers

Driftworks Magnetic sump plug

INNOVATE XD-16 16 in 1 WIDEBAND GAUGE KIT

HKS Fine tune Timing belt

Zakleecorp clear cam cover

Toyota Oil pump

Toyota Water pump

Toyota engine gasket kit

Cheap oil filter

Continental drive belt

Cam cover washer seals (did not come with the Toyota engine gasket kit!!)

Camshaft oil seals (did come with the Toyota engine gasket kit but I lost one and broke the other oops :rolleyes: )

Not in the pic's:

HKS Cam gears

HKS 1.6mm Metal Head gasket

Kelsport 4age sump pan bolt kit

OS giken clutch rebuild kit A

Denso IK22 Spark plugs

Cheap engine oil

Mocal 19row oil cooler

Ported and polished head done by me :D

Engine Machine work done:

Rebore Block

new core plugs

block skimed

head skimed

crankshaft balanced and polished

Parts purchased before

Garret gt2860r

cheap eBay intercooler

autobahn88 de-cat pipe

more pic's to follow :thumbsup:

How the hell did you afford all this within a week!!?!? I have to wait years to save the cash I need! :o

NICE! :thumbsup:

oooo, lots of new shiney parts, very tasty. shame about the ringlands on your old one, make good paperweights though. got an ECU yet?

How the hell did you afford all this within a week!!?!? I have to wait years to save the cash I need! :o

NICE! :thumbsup:

saving all my pennies :thumbsup:

oooo, lots of new shiney parts, very tasty. shame about the ringlands on your old one, make good paperweights though. got an ECU yet?

no not yet :( getting steve at FCtuing http://fctuning.com/fctwp/ to have a look at the freedom see if he can map it hopefully he can would save me a lot of cash if not I'am going to go for Either the Link g4 or Haltech PS1000

have you looked at the Link G4 range of ECU's?

excellent value for money clicky

id advise against anti lag. its great for showing off but turbos dont last long when using it :(

have you looked at the Link G4 range of ECU's?

excellent value for money clicky

id advise against anti lag. its great for showing off but turbos dont last long when using it :(

yeah was looking into the Link storm G4 and Thor are doing a very good price I think it about 1500 supplied,fitted and mapped!! which is a very good deal IMO

as for the anti lag I think I'll give that a miss already been through 2 turbo's lol

ok back to the build before I continue I thought I would show some vid's that helped me alot on this build

Sr20det rebuild I know it not a 4age but it still uses the same principles of high performance engine building

http://www.56.com/u34/v_NDk4MTkwMjM.html

and this is a vid on the 4age it's in Japanese but you still get the idea

and I also used a 4a-ge service manual but I can't find the web site I got it from (anyone know how to host files?)

here's my work bench the boot lid of my skyline lol :lol:

20100726_002.jpg

the block cleaned,sanded down,sprayed then cleaned again ready for bearing and crankshaft installation

20100726_003.jpg

20100726_001.jpg

crankshaft installed and torqued down

20100726_004.jpg

20100726_005.jpg

looking good, love the workbench, where can i get one? you sticking with stock black for the cylinder block then?

looking good, love the workbench, where can i get one? you sticking with stock black for the cylinder block then?

lol, yeah just sprayed it black as it was the only colour I had, no money to buy some different colour I'am on a tight budget (But I did want to spray it purple lol )

Awesome work, I should be posting pictures of the same thing in a weeks time! :yahoo:

Awesome work, I should be posting pictures of the same thing in a weeks time! :yahoo:

sweet :D

Now the next part is to measure each piston ring and file it (if needed) to spec's now this is a long because you have to put the ring square in the bore then measure it if it to small(which they all are, none of them are the right size out of the box) then you take it out and then file a little then place it back in the bore measure and repeat until it the right size and you have to do this for every single ring!! :yawn: lets just say I started at 11am and finished at 5am in the morning!! :yawn: (Watch the SR20 rebuild vid I posted to see how it is done)

Mounting the arias pistons and the spool conrods looking sexy :thumbsup:

20100726_008.jpg

putting the !Removed! rings in lol :lol:(I never want to see another piston ring in my life!! :lol: )

20100726_010.jpg

20100726_009.jpg

pistons mounted and torqued to spec

20100727_007.jpg

20100727_006.jpg

20100727_001.jpg

20100727_002.jpg

Again, super cool! :yes:

Have my engine now, going to begin the strip down tomorrow. :D

Great work mate, some serious parts and hard work going into that engine, good luck and keep the pics and updates coming!!

Again, super cool! :yes:

Have my engine now, going to begin the strip down tomorrow. :D

thanks mate, bet you can't wait :D

Great work mate, some serious parts and hard work going into that engine, good luck and keep the pics and updates coming!!

thank and heres another update for ya! :D

ok so more pic's, I sprayed the sump in high temp matt black which I think looks pretty badass B)

oil pump,sump,driftworks sump plug and the kelsport bolts installed and torqued down to spec :D

20100727_009.jpg

closer pic of the matt colour and the bolts

20100727_010.jpg

I liked the colour of the sump so much that I had to spray the cam covers the same!

20100727_011.jpg

20100727_014.jpg

20100727_013.jpg

20100727_012.jpg

20100727_013.jpg

next the arp head studs installed

20100727_015.jpg

20100727_016.jpg

20100727_019.jpg

pic's of the ported and polished head done by me which I think came out Ok could have spent more time on it but it all good :D

20100728_003.jpg

20100728_004.jpg

20100728_005.jpg

valves in

20100730_002.jpg

shim and buckets cleaned and ready for installation

20100728_023.jpg

HKS metal head gasket installed

20100728_006.jpg

20100728_009.jpg

Head installed and torqued to spec

20100728_010.jpg

20100728_011.jpg

20100728_013.jpg

camshafts installed

20100730_005.jpg

20100730_006.jpg

a quick pic to see how the covers look like on the engine (I know there in the wrong way but hay it was 5 in the morning and I was tried :yawn::lol: )

20100728_019.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links