Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Pressures

BlueValour

In the manual it recommends 35 psi front/33 rear. However, when my Gen 2 came back from the dealer all tyres were set at 29. Any thoughts about the optimum tyre pressures please?

Mine too, maybe the dealers know something we don't??

Under-inflated tyres usually results in premature tyre wear. Could it be the dealer is hoping to sell some new tyres next time around?

Otherwise it's just standard dealer incompentence!

Under-inflated tyres usually results in premature tyre wear. Could it be the dealer is hoping to sell some new tyres next time around?

Otherwise it's just standard dealer incompentence!

Sounds like time to change dealer.

I believe that one of the problems here is knowing which tyre pressure gauge if any is reading anything close to a true value. I have 3 gauges and they all read differently. I have one gauge that is my "favourite" but I suspect that it reads on the low side.

Under inflated tyres also increase fuel consumption. :(

Oh dear I wish someone from Toyota headoffice would follow this forum occasionally. I too have had my tyres reduced to 30 psi after the car went in for service. When I queried it with them I was told that 35 psi seemed too high. I then directed them to the label inside the drivers door!

One wonders how many Prius's there are out there driving round with under inflated tyres on the wrong oil, suffering p*ss poor fuel economy as a result.

Seriously, it is rather alarming how many main dealers there are out there that don't appear to have a clue about the Prius.

Gen 2 Prius tyre pressures are 35 front 33 rear. I use one digital gauge for checking the pressures but I have no idea how accurate it is. The gauge on my Halfords foot pump gives a different reading to my digital gauge. Garage gauges seem to vary a lot. My neighbour has an electrical compressor and that seems to be accurate. An electric compressor unit costs about £90 too much for me to fork out.

I would take it up with the dealer if I found my tyre pressures wrong after a service so far they have always been OK.

I believe that one of the problems here is knowing which tyre pressure gauge if any is reading anything close to a true value. I have 3 gauges and they all read differently. I have one gauge that is my "favourite" but I suspect that it reads on the low side.

hi al

i am one again tresssing on your forum

ive always been very fussy over my tyre pressurs,in the 1970 i brought a new single barrel foot pump and wanted to be sure it was accurate so took it to the ( what was called then )weights and measures people at county hall in norwich and i asked them to test it to see how accurate it was.they checked it for me and said about just about spot on althrough the range of the gauge on it.

when having some new tyres fittd at a little tyre firm near me about 10 years latter the man there said he had just had the people in (weights & measures) checking his gauges,so when i got home i checked the tyre pressure on my new tyres against my footpump and once again readings compared ok.

its now 2010 still have the same pump, but its a bit slow,but there so am i.

went to Halfords some years ago and puchased a new double barrel pump it was supposed to be german quality checked by i think its TVD,checked it against my old pump and it was reading 8 lb higher than it should,so took gauge of old pump and fitted it to new pump,i thought promblem solved,no it wasnt, the linkage collapsed after about a year so back to old pump.

6 months ago i once more took m old faithfull pump to county hall to check it out, this time she now reads 2 lb lower than it should be but thats all through the range of the gauge,so i add 2lb to the preeure i am putting in tyres and have stuck a label on the pump to remind me.

by the way having your pump or any other eguipment checked is a free service provided by them.

i cannot remember what the new name of what was weights and measures dept is,but i suggest others should use them for peace of mind.

a BP garage near me has a all singing all dancing tyre preesure/water/vacuum machine that sees pretty accurate which i use to check my space saver spare wheel,that requires 60 psi, it saves my old leg.

I am sure Mr Toyota knows what the tyre pressures must be, then he puts it in the book, so my guess is the boy who makes the tea at the garage done them while he waited for the kettle to boil.............cant get the staff these days

Oh dear I wish someone from Toyota headoffice would follow this forum occasionally. I too have had my tyres reduced to 30 psi after the car went in for service.

Very interesting Mr GC.

On delivery my tyres were around 30psi. I didn't check them immediately after the 1st service but when I got round to it, they were back down to around 32psi.

Makes a note to check tyre pressure immediately after any work has been done on the car by the dealer.

hi al

ive always been very fussy over my tyre pressurs,in the 1970 i brought a new single barrel foot pump and wanted to be sure it was accurate so took it to the ( what was called then )weights and measures people at county hall in norwich and i asked them to test it to see how accurate it was.they checked it for me and said about just about spot on althrough the range of the gauge on it.

when having some new tyres fittd at a little tyre firm near me about 10 years latter the man there said he had just had the people in (weights & measures) checking his gauges,so when i got home i checked the tyre pressure on my new tyres against my footpump and once again readings compared ok.

went to Halfords some years ago and puchased a new double barrel pump it was supposed to be german quality checked by i think its TVD,checked it against my old pump and it was reading 8 lb higher than it should,so took gauge of old pump and fitted it to new pump,i thought promblem solved,no it wasnt, the linkage collapsed after about a year so back to old pump.

6 months ago i once more took m old faithfull pump to county hall to check it out, this time she now reads 2 lb lower than it should be but thats all through the range of the gauge,so i add 2lb to the preeure i am putting in tyres and have stuck a label on the pump to remind me.

by the way having your pump or any other eguipment checked is a free service provided by them.

i cannot remember what the new name of what was weights and measures dept is,but i suggest others should use them for peace of mind.

a BP garage near me has a all singing all dancing tyre preesure/water/vacuum machine that sees pretty accurate which i use to check my space saver spare wheel,that requires 60 psi, it saves my old leg.

Hi "acetip". Good point about the weights and measures department - they must have something that is fairly accurate but I wouldn't like to bet too much money on them being totally accurate either! I would imagine that they will have calibrated their gauge against someone elses which will have been calibrated maybe against a standard - perhaps at the National Physical Laboratory. Even then the gauge is probably only accurate at two pressures and not necessarily (or even likely)in between. Therefore even if the Toyota garage wants to set the pressures at say 33 psi both their gauge and my gauge may be out! I find that if I add about 3 psi on my "favourite" gauge to the manufacturers recommendations then the tyres wear fairly evenly across the width of the tread (but that is only on my gauge!) If I leave the tyres at the manufacturers recommendations according to my "favourite" gauge the tyres wear more on the outer and inner edges suggesting to me underinflation. But it takes a few thousand miles for this to show up and is very annoying when it does :ffs:

I use a little compressor these days rather than a foot pump - much easier. It also has a gauge which is close to my mechanical gauge. I did have a digital gauge which was okay (no more accurate of course) but it went wrong and gave erratic readings which was even worse than being out one way or the other!

Having said all this the garages are not that precise with setting the pressures and there is always variation between the 2 tyres on each axle (or whatever).

Cheers

I don't know what calibration kit is used by Trading Standards, but it is pretty easy to calibrate a gauge using a dead weight tester. The dead-weight tester uses weights of known physical mass to load a piston of known cross-section and hence to produce a very accurate output pressure. You can test over the range of the gauge by changing the weights.

Adjusting the gauge to read accurately may be a much more complex and difficult process but producing a graph showing the inaccuracies in the gauge is straightforward.

Incidentally, you also need to take account of hysteresis, since the gauge may not show the same reading under decreasing pressure as it does under increasing pressure.

hi al

Hi "acetip". Good point about the weights and measures department - they must have something that is fairly accurate but I wouldn't like to bet too much money on them being totally accurate either! I would imagine that they will have calibrated their gauge against someone elses which will have been calibrated maybe against a standard - perhaps at the National Physical Laboratory. Even then the gauge is probably only accurate at two pressures and not necessarily (or even likely)in between. Therefore even if the Toyota garage wants to set the pressures at say 33 psi both their gauge and my gauge may be out! I find that if I add about 3 psi on my "favourite" gauge to the manufacturers recommendations then the tyres wear fairly evenly across the width of the tread (but that is only on my gauge!) If I leave the tyres at the manufacturers recommendations according to my "favourite" gauge the tyres wear more on the outer and inner edges suggesting to me underinflation. But it takes a few thousand miles for this to show up and is very annoying when it does :ffs:

I use a little compressor these days rather than a foot pump - much easier. It also has a gauge which is close to my mechanical gauge. I did have a digital gauge which was okay (no more accurate of course) but it went wrong and gave erratic readings which was even worse than being out one way or the other!

Having said all this the garages are not that precise with setting the pressures and there is always variation between the 2 tyres on each axle (or whatever).

Cheers

hi dwilson

the last time i had my footpump tested was by youngman and we got talking about diesel cars (he had a vectra diesel)

i had the mondeo st tdci, amongst other things we dicussed the dreaded duel mass flywheel on diesel.

anyway he said he had tested the gauge reading through the entire range.

when they test ones at forecourts/tyre fitting firms etc as many different sizes and pressure requirments they must surely they test over the complete range of a gauge as he done with mine.

as it is law just as fuel delivery from petrol/diesel pump on a forecourt has to be accurate.there would be no point in testing at just a couple of readings.

i hope you understand what i am getting at.a gauge could be spot on at say 20lb but be inacurate at say 30lb.

hi al

Cheers

hi dwilson

the last time i had my footpump tested was by youngman and we got talking about diesel cars (he had a vectra diesel)

i had the mondeo st tdci, amongst other things we dicussed the dreaded duel mass flywheel on diesel.

when they test ones at forecourts/tyre fitting firms etc as many different sizes and pressure requirments they must surely they test over the complete range of a gauge as he done with mine.

as it is law just as fuel delivery from petrol/diesel pump on a forecourt has to be accurate.there would be no point in testing at just a couple of readings.

i hope you understand what i am getting at.a gauge could be spot on at say 20lb but be inacurate at say 30lb.

Yes I understand what you are saying and have noted what Sagitar has posted and love the bit about hysteresis! The bit I didn't realise was that it was law just as volume of petrol delivered was. I find this surprising as I had been told that the ones at forecourts were notoriously inaccurate. If they are accurate then I can compare their reading with my gauge....when I have the urge and time :yes:

Thanks to you and Sagitar for some excellent feedback :thumbsup:

hi al

Cheers

hi dwilson

Yes I understand what you are saying and have noted what Sagitar has posted and love the bit about hysteresis! The bit I didn't realise was that it was law just as volume of petrol delivered was. I find this surprising as I had been told that the ones at forecourts were notoriously inaccurate. If they are accurate then I can compare their reading with my gauge....when I have the urge and time :yes:

Thanks to you and Sagitar for some excellent feedback :thumbsup:

hi

the trouble with forecourt equipment more so where the pressure gauge is on the air hose type,as oppposed to where the gauge is on a machine,that people do not treat them with respect,and just drop them on the concrete

and that does them no good at all and effects their accurecy.

ive two garages near me a Shell and a bp,the bp is very close to what my footpump reads and Shell is about 1lb light.the press gauge are on the machine in both cases.

it was some years ago that the law for tyre press gauges had to be accurate, but not sure if that applies now.

i will ask about, and post my findings.

hi

the trouble with forecourt equipment more so where the pressure gauge is on the air hose type,as oppposed to where the gauge is on a machine,that people do not treat them with respect,and just drop them on the concrete

and that does them no good at all and effects their accurecy.

ive two garages near me a Shell and a bp,the bp is very close to what my footpump reads and Shell is about 1lb light.the press gauge are on the machine in both cases.

it was some years ago that the law for tyre press gauges had to be accurate, but not sure if that applies now.

i will ask about, and post my findings.

That's kind of you acetip, I would be interested to know

The manufacturer specifics the pressure when the tyres are cold, so you've got to be pretty close to the garage, so that in driving there you don't heat the air up in the tyres. I can't recall the distance but it was very low maybe only a mile or two?

The manufacturer specifics the pressure when the tyres are cold, so you've got to be pretty close to the garage, so that in driving there you don't heat the air up in the tyres. I can't recall the distance but it was very low maybe only a mile or two?

Yes I understand that but I just want to compare my pressure gauge reading with an accurate reading - my problem is knowing where that accurate reading can be found. I think a dealer that has just had their gauge calibrated would be good.

The reading of my rear tyres should be a useful pressure to compare gauges whether hot or cold (as long as the same temperature for both readings).

Yes I understand that but I just want to compare my pressure gauge reading with an accurate reading - my problem is knowing where that accurate reading can be found. I think a dealer that has just had their gauge calibrated would be good.

The reading of my rear tyres should be a useful pressure to compare gauges whether hot or cold (as long as the same temperature for both readings).

hi dwilson

phoned ( at least tried )weights & measures today, but got a company that handles all calls to them, explained to a young lady what i is was calling about, she put me on hold that seemed forever,with a very distorted tune blasting in my ear.she then informed me that some one would phone me back before 1700 hrs on friday.

should i not receive a call i should call again quoting a reference number she gave me.

as SHARON TATES grandma would say WHAT A LOAD OF S**T.

agree best check tyre press at home when tyres are cold.

Setting tyre pressures for general/domestic road use is not an exact science and worrying about whether your tyre pressure gauge is accurate to one or two p.s.i. is not helpful, provided that it is consistent and that you use the same gauge each time.

The pressure(s) quoted by tyre and car manufacturers are a compromise based upon consideration of the wide range of circumstances in which the tyres will be run, but they give a very good starting point.

The most common cause of tyre carcass failure is chronic under-inflation. It gives rise to flexing of the carcass, which in turn causes internal heating and eventually failure of the elastomers and other materials used in the construction of the tyre. The important thing therefore is to check tyre pressures regularly and to make sure that they are never under-inflated.

A p.s.i or two either way is not going to have catastrophic consequences though it may alter the handling (only the driver will know), or the ride quality (higher pressures transmit more bumps) and the wear patterns on the tyre. Generally, if the outer edges wear more quickly than the centre of the tread then the tyre is under-inflated. If the centre wears more quickly than the outer edges then the tyre is over-inflated. These effects may take a lot of miles to become clear.

Uneven wear across the width of the tyre may indicate a need to get the geometry checked, but it might also be a result of "enthusiastic" cornering.

So, my regime is to start with the pressures indicated by the manufacturer; check them once a week. Measure tread depth across the tyre about once a month and increase of decrease the inflation pressure (by a small amount) depending upon what the wear shows.

Y.M.M.V.

Setting tyre pressures for general/domestic road use is not an exact science and worrying about whether your tyre pressure gauge is accurate to one or two p.s.i. is not helpful, provided that it is consistent and that you use the same gauge each time.

The pressure(s) quoted by tyre and car manufacturers are a compromise based upon consideration of the wide range of circumstances in which the tyres will be run, but they give a very good starting point.

The most common cause of tyre carcass failure is chronic under-inflation. It gives rise to flexing of the carcass, which in turn causes internal heating and eventually failure of the elastomers and other materials used in the construction of the tyre. The important thing therefore is to check tyre pressures regularly and to make sure that they are never under-inflated.

A p.s.i or two either way is not going to have catastrophic consequences though it may alter the handling (only the driver will know), or the ride quality (higher pressures transmit more bumps) and the wear patterns on the tyre. Generally, if the outer edges wear more quickly than the centre of the tread then the tyre is under-inflated. If the centre wears more quickly than the outer edges then the tyre is over-inflated. These effects may take a lot of miles to become clear.

Uneven wear across the width of the tyre may indicate a need to get the geometry checked, but it might also be a result of "enthusiastic" cornering.

So, my regime is to start with the pressures indicated by the manufacturer; check them once a week. Measure tread depth across the tyre about once a month and increase of decrease the inflation pressure (by a small amount) depending upon what the wear shows.

Y.M.M.V.

hi sagitar

great posting agree with all.

I tend to overpressure my tyres; Usually 40f/35b.

Poor man's low-friction tyre! :lol:

That said, I've been carting a lot of people and luggage around these past few weeks and the high pressures mean I don't have to worry about pumping the tyres up especially for the journey, just check them and the oil!

You can always tell when someone's inflated their car to the right pressures for a single person and then gone and fully loaded it with family, dog, luggage and kitchen sink :lol:

Thanks, a nice long explanation about tyre pressure, but it doesn't answer why a dealer would set all four tyres to the same low 30 psi. The door sticker indicates that there should be a 2 psi difference between front and rear tyres for a Gen 2.

doesn't answer why a dealer would set all four tyres to the same low 30 psi.

"

Hence, my standard comment when putting in the car for service - "The tyre pressures are set as I want them - Please do not adjust them".

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links