Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ng Two-Wheel Drive?

Ady-Rav4

Hi all. I was just looking at a RAV4.2 NV for sale on a dealer website. They discribed it as 'a stunning looking 4x4....ready to go anywhere....bring on the snow!' Well this narked me as I understood the NV was a basic model, only available in 2 wheel drive. So I sent the dealer an e-mail telling them wots wot and not to mislead costumers :bangin:! Well I got a reply from them stating that it has a transfer box and a prop-shaft and something on the lines of keeping my nose out, they are the experts :bag: ! So I thought this is my next stop! So c'mon you RAV4 experts, i would like to know the drive set-up for the NV as I understood it to be front wheel drive only. Looking forward to your replies, cheers.

as far as i know the the NV was a 1.8, front wheel drive only . But I'll have a look in the 4.2 brochure when i get home and check.

Hi

When i was looking at Rav4's ,before i bought mine,i did briefly look at the 'NV' model,but as soon i learnt that it was 1.8 and only had 2wd,i lost interest.

That was 6 1/2 years ago now,i just could not see the point of a 4x4 looking vehicle..only being 2wd...my thoughts :thumbsup:

I opted for the 'NRG' ,which is permanent 4x4...and its great :yes:

Hey thanks atkiman and rambler, looks like we are right so far, I wanna know for sure before I send them another e-mail. But bare in mind what their RAV4 NV has....transfer box & propshaft. :unsure: Oh, and I agree with you rambler, Toyota should have named the 2 wheel drive ones as RAV2s cause thats wot they are. But why bother with 2wd in the first place, I thought all RAV4s where 4wd untill recently.

i put it the other one as well, I checked my old brochure and if it's a 1.8 it'll be 2 wheel drive but if it's a 2.0 vvti or a d4d it'll be 4 wheel drive.

it's a base model steel wheels and a cassette player instead of cd.

i put it the other one as well, I checked my old brochure and if it's a 1.8 it'll be 2 wheel drive but if it's a 2.0 vvti or a d4d it'll be 4 wheel drive.

Out of interest I has a look on eBay and out of the 20-odd 1.8 NVs listed about a third of them are described as 4x4s! There's presumably a lot of ignorant/unscrupulous dealers out there.

Bob.

Aah, looks like you got the right answer Atkiman. The RAV in question is a 2.0 petrol, so according to the brochure it is a 4wd RAV. Blimey, potential NV buyers need to gen up quite a bit!

Back in July I bought my first Rav 4 a 3 dr 2003 NV VVTI (2WD),its now done over 65000 I've always mildly regretted not getiing a 4WD particularly when snowed in for 5 days last week but otherwise love my vehicle which is perfect for me and the dog- we've removed the rear seats. Browsing classifieds last night I spotted a lovely looking 2004 TOYOTA RAV4 XT3 VVTI with only 35000 on the clock.

Any thoughts on the benefits of changing models?? or should I stick with my 2WD ...are the running costs that much higher on a 4WD?

Many thanks

Pamela

Hi Pamela

Well firstly,welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Right then..when i first purchased my Rav4 pictured below just over 6 years ago,i did for a few days consider the NV version with only 2wd.

After all who can tell the difference ( apart from us eagle eyed Rav4 owners who spot the NV badge)plus the lack of wheel arch trims from what i remember..etc,etc

But as you rightly mention,with the onset of this harsh winter so far and last january,i am sooooo glad i chose the 4wd version,i still get approx 35mpg and i havnt got stuck yet,the 4wd is very sure footed ( being permanent 4wd ),i purchased all terrain tyres for mine for even more traction.

Personally...i never did see the point of the NV model,as a 4x4 should have some sort of 4wd system available,after all it looks like a 4x4,so should have 4x4......sorry,just my thoughts.

So yes,in my opinion,if you have the money..its well well worth the investment,mine is the 4.2 version...and i think its great :yes:

Had a quick trawl through some previous threads,found the above topic that i posted on......

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links