Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Intake Noise

Druid Boy

My 2008 Avensis has just started with this vibration noise. I was convinced that it was coming from the plastic sump cover, replaced most of the plastic clips, noise still there. Read the replies on this thread and it was exactly as described, foam gasket between inlet pipe and filter box is knackered. Many thanks for the info, I have sorted it and the car is quiet again.

• 1 month later...

Had the same problem, now sorted after reading this post. Thank you,

Hi Neil, Glad that you have quietened your Avensis. I actually pulled the pipe away from the filter box approx. 1 inch and pumped silicon around that foam gasket. Put it back together to set, no noise at all now.

• 2 months later...

I've had the same and local garage came up blank following full major service. Mot, and test drives and all joints look good.

Any one show where to put the self tappers ??

Will try his fix tomorrow

• 10 months later...

Fantastic! This has annoyed me quite a lot, you guys where spot on.

For anyone wondering, I attached a picture of the loose intake pipe. I fixed this by removing the bottom part of the box and wrapped a foam tape around the pipe.

Many thanks. Same problem, garage had it as the engine cover. The photo makes it clear where the source is. Draught excluder will be my first try (as I have some handy)

A bit thick, but one piece worked fine. The old foam had totally disintegrated - bet more drivers are noticing this.

All back together and from 1600 - 2100 rpm all I can hear is the engine. No more rattles.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice guys, mines been doing this for a year or so now, no one could pin point the problem and was getting fed up of looking...

:driving:

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I bought an 06 avensis a few months ago and it started with this growling rattle, seemingly worse in the colder weather.  Was really worried I had bought something with a major issue, but saw this thread and 20 minutes and a few cuts of adhesive sealant strip, and no more rattle!  
thanks v much 😀😀

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links