Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Convert Back To Toyotas (A G6R This Time)

So I bought a G6R

Hi Guys,

After owning a late 80's Celica and loving it, I lost the plot and bought some other hunks of junk (I don't need it rubbing in) but am now back to Toyotas with a Corolla G6R!

Hope you like? All standard so far, the wheels will need re-powdercoating (anyone know of any places in west London/Surrey?), sort out the stereo (remove multi-Cd thats in the glovebox), few touchups on the paint here and there and that will be about it I think.

It's nice feeling the solidity again of a well built car!

g6r.jpg

g6rbackdriversside.jpg

g6rbackpassengerside.jpg

interiorm.jpg

wheelsneedingrefurb.jpg

g6rfront.jpg

Just one quick question - what's the paint code for the black paint, and anywhere (other than eBay which doesn't seem to have any) that I can get a touch-up pen from?

Cheers guys!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• So I bought a G6R

• KPARRIS-JONES

• PaulinhoT

• Ben_G6

Looks a nice motor, clean. Id go to your local motor facrtors they shold be able to match ur paint.

That's a lovely example you have mate, a rare find so very well done! :thumbsup:

I hoe you enjoy your experience with this one :D

KP

Nice car mate should look mint once the wheels are done.

I am not an expert by any means but I have heard before now that quite often its better to get alloys painted rather than powder coated??? Wonder if anyone has any views on this?

I don't know much about these but I do really like them, will have to do some research.

Powder coating is amazing if done properly, sadly that is something quite hard to come by these days :(

I'd go for just painting them tbh.

KP

Thanks for the comments guys. Seems there are sometimes 2-3 for sale (on Autotrader) in the UK at any one time, prices have come right down, and I think its a lot of car for the money!

I saw this thread on this forum about painting G6R alloys: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=90408&st=15

I'm not sure if the guy used powdercoating or 2-pack paint? Maybe its just going to be a every couple of years respray, I just don't know what colour (definitely not white!) I want to paint them.

Also, does anyone else find their G6R gearbox is a bit notchy first thing on a cold morning but when the car has warmed up its then a nice smooth gearchange?

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Gun metal grey with a light grey metallic flake thrown on top for good measure. That will looks the muts. :thumbsup:

KP

I dunno about grey, might as well do them a chrome/silver colour and try and replicate what was there originally? I've got to dig out a pic of an original G6R wheel.

Is it just me or do the G6 8-spoke alloys seem to last better than the G6R ones? I've seen some beaten up G6 cars and the alloys have been fine - I'm almost tempted to go for a set!

Well it's not a dull grey because you can add in a flake as I said, that will bring them out far better without making them so in your face as white.

You can always go for the standard silver but I reckon you could go for something a little different without looking too far from factory. Satin black would also do the job nicely.

It's your choice, I just thought I'd make the suggestion to you :)

KP

Thanks for the suggestion KP - do you have a picture of the colour scheme you've mentioned so I can see how it would look on a car?

I've liked the look of these 6-spoke Momo wheels on an old Corolla GTi but they don't seem to make them any more from what I've seen.

They could look quite smart (but obviously wouldn't be factory any more):

29877082.jpg

You're welcome mate :)

Yeh this is pretty well what I was thinking of, although you may want to go just a little darker:

Team-Dynamics_Motorsport_15x65.jpg

MOMO have a decent enough range now anyway, I can highly recommend www.wheelbasealloys.co.uk, they have been great with me and I have just ordered myself these for the GTi:

15_Inch_Calibre_Calibre_Pro_7_Black_Alloy_Wheels__PI_1931_127_137_965_965_303.jpg

KP

Thanks for the suggestions! I think that first alloy you put up looks really nice! What are they? Whats the deal with the centre bolt cover though? I trust its the normal 4-studs underneath?

There are some really nice wheels on that site, but I do wonder how they'd look on the car. Much nicer to see a Corolla with them already on. As I'm sure you know - when you see the right wheels the choice becomes much easier!

Another corolla I've seen on gumtree has these wheels but not sure what they are - probably 16"'s?

49115010.jpg

49115109.jpg

cleaning them could be hassle though!

What size are those wheels you've ordered? Do you have a pic of them on a car?

I don't know what they were I chose them for the colour example. I'll track them down for you :)

Those are nice!

The wheels I have ordered are arriving tomorrow :D they are Calibre Pro 7's 15" X 6.5" ET40 with Toyo T1R proxes 195/45's

I'm looking forward to getting them!! :D :D :D :lol:

KP

Well found, they look similar to those Momo's but a bit beefier on the spokes. Not sure about them in black, would be too much of a black overload on the car I think (but at least brake dust wouldnt' show)!

I was just taking a closer at the alloys on this pic I posted, seems they have an inset running up each spoke - I like that sort of detail and they almost look factory to me (although they aren't) - damn, those Momo's and now these unknown rims!

49115010.jpg

Would be interested to see a pic of your car when you've got those alloys fitted mate?

haha I like researching :lol:

Well my GTi is being restored atm, so I will have the wheels tomorrow but the car will be released later in the week hopefully. However, as soon as I get them on I'll send you a picture or two ;) ]

KP

cool nice one. I think I might email the guy with those 10spokes and see what they are - always nice to have some options!

Yeh exactly mate. I have taken about 2 years to actually fully decide on what wheels I want for the GTi, so take the time for yourself to simply browse for hours lol. You will find it helps you to find what you really really want.

KP

Hi Guys,

After owning a late 80's Celica and loving it, I lost the plot and bought some other hunks of junk (I don't need it rubbing in) but am now back to Toyotas with a Corolla G6R!

Hope you like? All standard so far, the wheels will need re-powdercoating (anyone know of any places in west London/Surrey?), sort out the stereo (remove multi-Cd thats in the glovebox), few touchups on the paint here and there and that will be about it I think.

It's nice feeling the solidity again of a well built car!

Just one quick question - what's the paint code for the black paint, and anywhere (other than ebay which doesn't seem to have any) that I can get a touch-up pen from?

Cheers guys!

Car looks awesome :thumbsup:

I've just bought it's little brother, the 1.3i G6, and I have to agree it really is alot of car for the money!

With regard to gearbox, I would say mine feels fine even when cold, maybe a tiny bit notchy when freezing but nothing major. All cars like to be warmed up :rolleyes:

I did find first to second took a little getting used too, not sure why?!

With regard to finding your paint code - it is on the car. Open the bonnet, find the silver VIN plate on the bottom of the underside of the bonnet (I think! If not on the top of the bulkhead) and it actually says PAINT: and the code is next to it. Halfords can mix it up for you if you have one locally.

Need to start a WIP for my G6 now..

Thanks for the comments Ben - its not as nice in the flesh as in the pics - quite a few little dents on it but I think I may be able to pull most of them out (anyone done this before? Any tips?).

I've had a good look under the bonnet. Next to the VIN on the bulkhead is a silver plaque but there is no mention of 'PAINT' on it. And under the bonnet as well, there's a sticker but again, no mention of any paint info.

I went into Halfords today to look for a touch-up pen kit, and all I found was TOYOTA ECLIPSE BLACK PEARLESCENT (CODE 209) which was the only black paint they listed for my era Corolla, but of course they didn't have any left on the shelf! :censor:

Please could you tell me the paint code on your G6 if it's black as I'm sure they would be the same? Is yours a '99 as well?

And yeah, get up some pics of your car!

Hi dude, just so you know, I have pictures of the wheels I just bought up in my Project Thread "AE92 GTi-16 Progress Thread" :thumbsup:

KP

I went into Halfords today to look for a touch-up pen kit, and all I found was TOYOTA ECLIPSE BLACK PEARLESCENT (CODE 209) which was the only black paint they listed for my era Corolla, but of course they didn't have any left on the shelf! :censor:

Toyota's own touch up kits from a dealer are only ~£7

Thanks for the comments Ben - its not as nice in the flesh as in the pics - quite a few little dents on it but I think I may be able to pull most of them out (anyone done this before? Any tips?).

I've had a good look under the bonnet. Next to the VIN on the bulkhead is a silver plaque but there is no mention of 'PAINT' on it. And under the bonnet as well, there's a sticker but again, no mention of any paint info.

Please could you tell me the paint code on your G6 if it's black as I'm sure they would be the same? Is yours a '99 as well?

And yeah, get up some pics of your car!

I'm sure she'll clean up well, its all part of the fun!

Ah right, well I'm pretty sure it says that on my VIN...

Anyway, what I can tell you is that according to the G6R brochure which is actually available to view on the Toyota website, G6R's were only made in Sunburst Red and Satin Black Metallic! My G6 is Sunburst Red :rolleyes:

So yours must be Satin Black Metallic, and from a quick search the code for that colour appears to be 205 :thumbsup:

My G6 is a '99 also :thumbsup:

Thanks Ben, I think we've narrowed it down now. Crappy Halfrauds and their useless paint code system! I think I'll do what Heidfirst suggested and get one from Toyota.

cheers guys!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links