Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Convert Back To Toyotas (A G6R This Time)

So I bought a G6R

Thanks Ben, I think we've narrowed it down now. Crappy Halfrauds and their useless paint code system! I think I'll do what Heidfirst suggested and get one from Toyota.

cheers guys!

No worries! I actually work at Halfrauds! But feel free to curse them :thumbsup:

That toyota black on the shelf is just the most common toyota black, we can mix any colour when given the correct code or name :thumbsup:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• So I bought a G6R

• KPARRIS-JONES

• PaulinhoT

• Ben_G6

Thanks for the tip Ben, if they'd had that on the shelf I would have bought it! Bit naughty of them to have it on there as the only black for black corolla's of my age, but anyway, that's companies for you.

cheers (and get your own thread up soon mate!)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I've bought a pair of used G6 wheels with tyres to tide me over (keep me on the road!) while I'm having my G6r wheels refurbed. I've been looking around for alternatives but as what I've liked I can't see for sale, I thought I'd refurb the OG alloys. Especially after seeing how good these ones look:

image6mj.jpg

Just need to speak to a few refurbing companies and get an idea on cost, then I'm rollin!

I'm considering a red band on the outside edge (my car is black so it would show up quite well I think) - any thoughts?

Those wheels look miles better mate, I really like them! :yes:

A red pin-stripe could well work, but a very thin one! :thumbsup:

KP

Cheers mate, I think I'm making the right choice.

I need to get a good side view of my car with the wheels so I can get some different photo-shop colourschemes done. There's a lot of different styles that can be done with these wheels.

I'm not sure but the inserts on my wheels might be black, with the OG silver 'spokes'. It might be nice to try and recreate these but I'm not sure how much it would cost.

Does anyone have a rough idea per wheel what it would cost to refurb back to the grey colour above, then I'll know how much it might cost to add a bit of colour as well?

Cheers

If you want a full refurb I have been quoted £240 for the set. So £60 per wheel. But just paint should be cheaper. You may want to look into diamond cutting.... it's beautiful!!

thanks for that - gives me something to work on (and now save up for!). I've never heard of diamond cutting wheels, can you tell me more/show pics?

Cheers.

I think my quote was rather pricey though so you could be looking at less.

Diamond cutting is when they sharpen up all of the edges on the wheels to give them a more modern look by cutting them a little, basically just a shave of the metal :D It looks great.

1. What is diamond cutting? This is a process where after the wheel has been painted it is then put on a lathe and part or all of the surface of the wheel machined to leave a shiny alloy finish. It is then lacquered over to prevent corrosion.

2. How do I know if my wheels have been diamond cut? If you have a shiny metal section on the wheel with faint machine lines visible when inspected closely, then chances are they are diamond turned. Look at our examples page for a comparison.

3. How long will it last? Diamond cut wheels will not retain their finish as well as a painted wheel, any damage to the lacquer will allow water to seep into the wheels and damage the diamond cut surface leaving milky patches on the wheel. For this reason we do not recommend this finish for regular use cars. You do not have to kerb your wheels for this damage to occur, it could just be the result of a stone chip.

4. How shiny will the finish be? This all depends on the quality and age of the alloy wheel. On older wheels you may find that there are some air bubbles in the alloy or light corrosion even after they have been machined. The better the quality of the wheel the better the finish. For this reason we cannot guarantee how your wheels will turn out, however, we have diamond cut thousands of wheels and well over 500 styles of wheel, so we are well qualified to get the best finish possible.

5. My wheels have been diamond cut before, can it be done again? The answer is maybe, every time the wheel is machined metal is removed, if we believe that machining the wheel again will leave the wheel weakened we will not undertake the task.

6. Can all wheels be diamond turned? No, not all wheels can it all depends on the profile of the face of the wheel. Let us know what wheel you have or email a picture and we will confirm.

7. How long will it take? This process takes approximately 5 working days possibly longer if you have an unusual wheel that we have not done before. This is because of the time needed to set up the lathe and for this reason single wheels can incur a much higher price when compared to a full set of four.

Well worth a look.

KP

Thanks for the diamond drilling info KP - it might be a bit much for me (maintenance-wise) ;->

A kind user on another forum did these photoshop mockups for me of refurbed wheels - what do you think?

g6rc7.jpg

Another little mod I've been thinking about is swapping the current black grille for a silver one. The size looks slightly different from mine but I'm sure it should work?

How do you think this would look with my G6R Badge on it?

Idea:

chromegrille.jpg

And mine currently:

g6rfront.jpg

Thanks for the comment Sizzla. I think I need to get a really good shot of the front and do a photoshop on it silver to see how it would look.

I do like the idea of the red lip on the wheel too - maybe with a red grille at the front as well :lol:

I'm with sizzla! To be fair mate I don't think it needs anything other than the wheels! She is absolutely gorgeous as is! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd try one of my white MiM 16" alloys on the car (should have been 2 I know to get the look but I was pressed for time!). What do you think? I think they'd look good in anthracite grey.

t728g6rtestingwhiteallo.jpg

They've gotta be White. End of!

Keep it as Toyota intended! A G6R with the TTE pack is the ultimate E11!!

I actually prefer the wheels you have on her now. They need a refurb but I think it would be worth it!

KP

I think the white wheels work really well, but it maybe worth painting the car red first :yahoo:

Ben G6 - I might run the car round for a few months with the white wheels and see if I get a liking for them. Still think they look a bit yobbish on a black car but who knows how I'll feel a few months in.

KP - I've seen many different colour schemes for the standard G6R wheels (silver, anthracite, black) and every one leaves me with the same thought - blandness I'm afraid! They're gonna go mate (but I will keep them), I don't want to spend money on them refurbing them just to look bland ;->

Paul - cheeky! Just for you I think I'll try out the white wheels for a bit, but they really do need a damn good clean, so any cleaners that will work on white wheels anyone knows of? What do you use for yours Paul?

Just remember that 0.2 seconds 0-60 improvement over those old SR bangers with their 5-speed gearboxes mate ;)

Tis silly really only 0.2 seconds quicker than the 5 speed...

I do love the six speed box though, I find 1st 2nd and 3rd a hoot - nice and short. The 1.3 16v engine that I have is according to the figures 0.4 seconds quicker than the with the 5 speed - again nothing massive but I do reckon the the 6 speed makes it a more fun drive.

I wonder how much weight the ally bonnet saves! Does it feel light?? Has your G6R got the CD changer under the seat??

I still think stick with the white wheels!!

My G6 is in the bodyshop as we speak and I WILL get the pics up soon - I'm in my final few days of Uni so time is tight unfortunately :wacko:

I've found its taken a lot of time to get used to the 6 speed box. I find myself skipping gears all the time eg. 3rd to 5th, 4th to 6th etc. still not sure if it is really worthwhile?

The ali bonnet is lighter, not sure how much lighter though as my white rolla's bonnet doesn't exactly seem too heavy. Does your bonnet have any sound-deadening under it because my white one doesn't but the G6R does - strange!

Re the cd changer, I took all that out as I don't listen to CD's so found no use for it and it had already been moved to the glovebox which was a nightmare! Needless to say it was one of my first jobs getting shot of it.

And remember - pics or you don't own one! ;)

Nah I think if you get used to it you'll see the 6 speed makes it a more snappy drive.

Come on now let's not be like this! I just need chance to take some decent pics!

You can however find a couple I took on my phone when I bought it here:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121436&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Bout time you had some new pics an' all! That tte wing on yet?!

Ok, just seen your thread and commented on it, looks a very clean example Ben. The TTE spoiler will hopefully be getting sprayed up this week - I will contact the guy on Friday about it but am going away this weekend/next week so won't be able to fit it up until later on.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links