Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spark Plugs!

Ryan1985

I wos thinkin of gettin uprated NGK spark plugs 4 my Yaris but i wos wondering if it wos worth the £?

My bro just got NGK Iridium spark plugs 4 his Punto 1.8 HGT and u could notice the difference! :D

I looked in2 Iridium spark plugs 4 the Yaris but they don't do them but they just do normal NGK spark plugs, would it be worth getting them? Will i get anymore bhp?

Any help greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

SPARK PLUGS DO NOT INCREASE POWER.

So I can't see how you'd notice any kind of difference.

You can lose power from using the wrong plug, but getting that power back isn't a gain in the real sense.

Platinum or Iridium plugs offer increased efficiency due to the fact that the electrodes on the plugs are thinner and the gaps larger. They can reduce misfires and improve cold starting but do not produce more power!!!!!!!!!

So, basically, don't bother. It's not worth it.

Think about it - The air/fuel ratio in the combustion chamber of your cars engine is what produces the power to drive the crankshaft. All the spark plug does is ignite the mixture, and that is it. Nothing more. Nada. Zip.

My Avensis engine is supposed to use Iridium as standard (7A-FE, it even has a sticker saying so on the engine). I'm using Platinum as a cheaper alternative. When I was looking, about the only thing I could really see that made Iridium or platinum stand out is how often they need changing.

(7A-FE engine in my Avensis)

For Iridium/Platinum it's 63,000 miles

For standard (iron?) it's 18,000 miles.

If I recall, the main reason I was given for the 7A-FE needing when I was asking on here was that the engine burns hotter or something, so the plugs can take the higher temperatures that the lean-burn produces.

And one last thought: If Toyota meant you to use Iridium plugs they would be fitted as standard wouldn't they?

Precious metal plugs are more expensive. That's probably the only reason you don't find them on stock engines. You can use them, but I can guarantee they won't provide any form of additional power. All they offer is improved efficiency (a longer lifespan, basically).

Funkadelic, get ur facts right!!! :ffs: On www.puntopower.com there is a guy who had an increase of 4bhp by just adding NGK Iridium spark plugs! There is rolling road graphs and everything 2 prove it 2! :P

Cheers anyway people :thumbsup:

use the Denso plugs aswell a mate of mine tried allsorts in his 1.0 and they were crap std densos are the nuts

Funkadelic, get ur facts right!!! :ffs: On www.puntopower.com there is a guy who had an increase of 4bhp by just adding NGK iridium spark plugs! There is rolling road graphs and everything 2 prove it 2! :P

Cheers anyway people :thumbsup:

All that proves is that the original plugs were not working correctly. And come on - do you believe anything said by a Punto driver? :P :P

if they add horsepower it will be un-noticable. i believe in theory that they could, but it would be under 1 horse. oh, what the hell is a punto? (im american :D)

vince

I used to have a punto! :D

The easiest way to increase performance in my punto was to ask the passengers to get out :lol: .

I used to have a punto! :D

The easiest way to increase performance in my punto was to ask the passengers to get out :lol: .

What a waste....after spending all that time persuading them to get in LOL :P

By all means waste money on expensive plugs in a bid for more power, but I'm telling you now it won't work.

You will get no power increase whatsoever from precious metal spark plugs - That is one of the many myths associated with engine tuning that any engine builder worth his salt will dismiss as utter bull****! All precious metal plugs do is offer better conductivity when the plugs themselves are cold or fouled.

Trust me on this. Save your money!

If you use Gold Plated Spark plugs, then you get an extra 25 BHP easily.

Aye..all crap, you don't get any extra "power", you will get a cleaner burn,

but as said...only becasue the stock ones don't last as long, due to furring

more quickly.

Better, to replace the plugs more regularly and get the same benefits

rather than pay though the nose, for something that just lasts longer.

..although modern engines, really shouldn't need plugs chaging other

than as stated in the service intervals,

as the engines run much cleaner and effieciently.

Reminds me of my old Volvo 340 ... don't laugh...was a GLE .. leccy windows

and sweaty bum warmers. Had to clean the plugs like one a month, as

they got shi%%ed up quickly (must be all that oil she drank!)

Vipes

The only thing that might make a difference is by having larger plug gaps... but not much lol

Alrite guys, FIAT's mite not be the most reliable cars in the world but my bro's HGT would whip the Yaris T-Sport and the Corolla T-Sport! Corolla T-Sports are pretty slow i just noticed! :ph34r:

Cheers anyway 4 the replies, i doubt i'll get some new spark plugs now :thumbsup:

Alrite guys, FIAT's mite not be the most reliable cars in the world but my bro's HGT would whip the Yaris T-Sport and the Corolla T-Sport! Corolla T-Sports are pretty slow i just noticed! :ph34r:

Cheers anyway 4 the replies, i doubt i'll get some new spark plugs now :thumbsup:

just wait till the CTS monkeys see that!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links