Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turbo Update

baz1631

OK, Thanks for the info. would this b possible if the car has not moved/ started for nearly 9 :censor: months?

Hasnt it??? Not started at all?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• baz1631

• anchorman

• Big Kev

• crofter

OK, Thanks for the info. would this b possible if the car has not moved/ started for nearly 9 :censor: months?

ok. History: car broke down 9mth ago

told it was the turbo

checked turbo vanes, all ok no chips/missing etc but smoke comeing from exhaust and loss of power

2 new SCV's fitted. also new vsv

car started first time with Battery connected to another car..............started first turn!

trieed to start again next day and ran for about 5-10 nin.(to listen to engine which was makin a sort of "missing noise")

but Battery flat.

got Battery drop charged.and now shows 12.3v

fitted battery, turned key...nothing ,its as if there is no power between battery and starter,

end of history.............................................

Blown main fuse? very easy to do with jump leads connected the wrong way round or drop charged, there is a 30 40 and 50 amp fuse in the fuse box up near the top right hand side near the bulk head, take a look and just make sure one is not blown

Kingo :thumbsup:

ok. History: car broke down 9mth ago

told it was the turbo

checked turbo vanes, all ok no chips/missing etc but smoke comeing from exhaust and loss of power

2 new SCV's fitted. also new vsv

car started first time with Battery connected to another car..............started first turn!

trieed to start again next day and ran for about 5-10 nin.(to listen to engine which was makin a sort of "missing noise")

but Battery flat.

got Battery drop charged.and now shows 12.3v

fitted battery, turned key...nothing ,its as if there is no power between battery and starter,

end of history.............................................

Brushes or commutator of starter could be worn or the commutator gaps clogged.

Have you tried rocking the vehicle in gear with ignition off to see if the starter sprocket is jammed in the flywheel teeth?

Blown main fuse? very easy to do with jump leads connected the wrong way round or drop charged, there is a 30 40 and 50 amp fuse in the fuse box up near the top right hand side near the bulk head, take a look and just make sure one is not blown

Kingo :thumbsup:

Checked ALL fuses, and all ok

just cant understand why it started acouple of days ago when the Battery was nearly flat but wont start now with the Battery fully charged. I haven't alterd anything or changed anything since!????

What about the starter motor solonoid,the main contacts can get burnt and not allow any current through to the starter.

Re the cylinder full of water,or otherwise, taking the glowplugs out and turning the engine over tends to prove that one way or the other.Just dont have your head under the bonnet when you try this as the water,if in there,comes out at a fair old rate of knots!!

Del

What about the starter motor solonoid,the main contacts can get burnt and not allow any current through to the starter.

Re the cylinder full of water,or otherwise, taking the glowplugs out and turning the engine over tends to prove that one way or the other.Just dont have your head under the bonnet when you try this as the water,if in there,comes out at a fair old rate of knots!!

Del

Hi Del, Thanks for reply. re: solenoid...where is it situted?

and: When (9 mth ago)Itook the car down to mechanic originaly,I went back to see wot was happening, and found he had taken the glow plugs out.He said when he turned the engine over there was oil (cant remember if he mentiond water as well) in places it shuoldnt have been? Anch said a healthy engine has oil in the pipes anyway, so I dont know wot the mwchanic meant, so could this mean the whole fiasco is down to the cylinder head leaking/gasket gone?

I think I might be getting nearer the cause.hopefully!

Hi baz,not certain where it is on your engine, on mine it can be found on top of the starter.A good way to find this is to follow the thick red lead from the Battery as it will be on tother end.

It might be a good idea to see if you can get a spanner on the end of the crankshaft to see if you can turn it one way or the other as if the engine has seized it will not move either way.If it moves one way so far and then only back to where you started the other way this may,may,point to a flooded cylinder.

Remote diagnosis is almost impossible as there are so many things that could effect your motor.

Not turning over on the starter sounds like it could be another problem which may be caused by the original ones or has chosen this moment to fail.It has been known to happen,like a bulb blowing on the way for an MOT after you have checked them

Sorry to sound like a wet blanket after all your efforts so far.

Del

Hi baz,not certain where it is on your engine, on mine it can be found on top of the starter.A good way to find this is to follow the thick red lead from the battery as it will be on tother end.

It might be a good idea to see if you can get a spanner on the end of the crankshaft to see if you can turn it one way or the other as if the engine has seized it will not move either way.If it moves one way so far and then only back to where you started the other way this may,may,point to a flooded cylinder.

Remote diagnosis is almost impossible as there are so many things that could effect your motor.

Not turning over on the starter sounds like it could be another problem which may be caused by the original ones or has chosen this moment to fail.It has been known to happen,like a bulb blowing on the way for an MOT after you have checked them

Del

how would the engine seize if it started after fitting new scv's oil/filter ect, and switchd off normally? (admittedly it sounded a bit rough but not "THAT BAD"

Hi baz,not certain where it is on your engine, on mine it can be found on top of the starter.A good way to find this is to follow the thick red lead from the battery as it will be on tother end.

Del

how would the engine seize if it started after fitting new scv's oil/filter ect, and switchd off normally? (admittedly it sounded a bit rough but not "THAT BAD"

Not suggesting it is ,baz,just a way of checking if the aformentioned flooded cylinder is actual,if not,would that not would be another worry out of the way.You know, just a process of elimination.

Dont give up hope,there are far more learned members out there. :thumbsup:

Del

Not suggesting it is ,baz,just a way of checking if the aformentioned flooded cylinder is actual,if not,would that not would be another worry out of the way.You know, just a process of elimination.

Dont give up hope,there are far more learned members out there. :thumbsup:

"Never give up hope" ha ha ha! am always hopin'.......mainly for a lottery jackpot! wot size of spanner would u use for the rotating of the crankshaft?and where is it on the pulleys? sorry, but Im not an expert like many of the legends on this forum!

This can usually be found at the bottom of the engine on the same side as the alternator as it drives the belt on the alternator.Be aware a diesel engine can take some turning over the compression stroke so mind your knuckles as it goes past it as it will then move freely till the next cylinder reaches compression. Maybe leather gloves?

Sorry, a bit useless with regard to the size of the spanner I'm afraid. :unsure:

This can usually be found at the bottom of the engine on the same side as the alternator as it drives the belt on the alternator.Be aware a diesel engine can take some turning over the compression stroke so mind your knuckles as it goes past it as it will then move freely till the next cylinder reaches compression. Maybe leather gloves?

Sorry, a bit useless with regard to the size of the spanner I'm afraid. :unsure:

ok no probs! will just use ma leather gloves,brute strengh, and ignorance! cheers

Baz

I think you need to get some help with this engine. The questions you are asking tell me you have reached the end of your valiant capabilities and even if you find something it may not help the diagnosis as you wouldn't recognise it as a fault.

If the starter will turn the engine then you are not going to gain anything by turning it with a spanner. However, if you insist! - if you take off the RH plastic under shield you will see the bottom pulley. Its the one that drives both belts. I can't remember the size but its a biggish bolt - about 22mm.

You can achieve the same by jacking up the front wheel, putting it in 5th gear and turning the wheel by hand. It will turn the engine for you but make sure the ignition is OFF because it might start!!!

Baz

I think you need to get some help with this engine. The questions you are asking tell me you have reached the end of your valiant capabilities and even if you find something it may not help the diagnosis as you wouldn't recognise it as a fault.

If the starter will turn the engine then you are not going to gain anything by turning it with a spanner. However, if you insist! - if you take off the RH plastic under shield you will see the bottom pulley. Its the one that drives both belts. I can't remember the size but its a biggish bolt - about 22mm.

You can achieve the same by jacking up the front wheel, putting it in 5th gear and turning the wheel by hand. It will turn the engine for you but make sure the ignition is OFF because it might start!!!

Thanks Anch, Ithin k youre right! Ive had enough of tryin to find the answer to the problem, and WALKIN TAE WURK! (its only 2 mls!).Just didnt want garage to con me out of any more cash than I needed to spend.

In the good old days, to check if an engine turned, you just put it into 2nd gear and tried shoving the car with the brakes off..... and if it moved then the engine must have turned. If it didn't move, you called an ambulance fur yer broken back.

In the good old days, to check if an engine turned, you just put it into 2nd gear and tried shoving the car with the brakes off..... and if it moved then the engine must have turned. If it didn't move, you called an ambulance fur yer broken back.

well a hiv already goat wan!.gettin' a zimmer fur ma krissmas :wheelchair:

Baz

Hi again Anchorman, did wot u suggested, jacked up front wheel and put in 5th gear, wheel turned 1 (one)complete revolution in both directions, so what doese this mean?.cylinder head ok? maybe? Tink I NEED A WEE REFRESHER AFTER AW THAT PUSHIN' N' PULLIN!

so what doese this mean?.cylinder head ok? maybe?

I'm afraid Baz it only means you've proved there isn't enough water getting in the cylinder to cause hydraulicing. It was a friendly suggestion but I didn't expect it anyway as you have been able to start it and not losing lots of water.

As I said, I think you need the opinion of somebody skilled enough to interpret what is likely to be wrong.

so what doese this mean?.cylinder head ok? maybe?

I'm afraid Baz it only means you've proved there isn't enough water getting in the cylinder to cause hydraulicing. It was a friendly suggestion but I didn't expect it anyway as you have been able to start it and not losing lots of water.

As I said, I think you need the opinion of somebody skilled enough to interpret what is likely to be wrong.

hello knowlledgeable sir,Yea thought so masel' cause there wasnt much drop in coolant level or anything leaking underneath when I stopped originally when th problem started. sooooooooooooooo! that knocks out the head theory.....which is good, cause now I can concentrate on the possibility of dare i say it.....turbo, I've a mechanic commin to have a look @ it on sat. (cause right now he's on the isle of skye! and I'll be on the isle of Tiree) ( we travel alot up here!)Thanks for ur help/advice and to all the other learned geltlemen of the TOC :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well thats it done......had enough of false prommises "yea i'll be there tomorrow" "I haven't forgotten",,,,,,,,,cars booked into garage for next monday. got £1500 set aside for bill, havent had a quote yet but cat be that bad. so heres hopin' i'll get ma rav back on the road sooooooon! :rolleyes:

Well thats it done......had enough of false prommises "yea i'll be there tomorrow" "I haven't forgotten",,,,,,,,,cars booked into garage for next monday. got £1500 set aside for bill, havent had a quote yet but cat be that bad. so heres hopin' i'll get ma rav back on the road sooooooon! :rolleyes:

Good Luck Baz....in the meantime, why not join Martha Rees and the Vandellas?.....Dancing in the Street (Strip The Willow, eh....?) Explain t'forum at yer leisure....Hoots Mon....

Big Kev :yahoo:

Good Luck Baz....in the meantime, why not join Martha Rees and the Vandellas?.....Dancing in the Street (Strip The Willow, eh....?) Explain t'forum at yer leisure....Hoots Mon....

Big Kev howzitgawn? Re : Strip The Willow? do you mean the world record for the longest S/T/W That we had in Oban last week? an' the best excuse furra p***-up ye can get up here :yahoo: or the fact that the cars actualy goin tae get fixed?.hopefully....whow's Martha Rees anyway? an' wots a vandella ... is that whit ye ca' a female vandal in easterhoose?

Big Kev howzitgawn? Re : Strip The Willow? do you mean the world record for the longest S/T/W That we had in Oban last week? an' the best excuse furra p***-up ye can get up here :yahoo: or the fact that the cars actualy goin tae get fixed?.hopefully....whow's Martha Rees anyway? an' wots a vandella ... is that whit ye ca' a female vandal in easterhoose?

thats it outa ma hauns noo! cars in garage ,will find out the original cause an' hopefully the cost wont be a "bank loan " update to follow!

Baz min....ah can hear this sorta whisper all over Scotland....thought it was just a wee summer breeze....naw....it's most of Scotland PRAYING that your Rav will be ok....!!!!

Besta Luck,

Big Me :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links