Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Loss Of Power On Acceleration

Skydesigner

As has been said previously, the only way to get a car manufacturer to take corrective action on a defect that may be safety related, is to report the potential safety problem to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency, formerly VOSA. This depends on a sufficient number of reports being received, before DVSA will begin talking to the manufacturer. If people don't support the process, then it is no use continuing to complain about potential safety defects being ignored by the manufacturer - whether it is Toyota or another manufacturer.

I'd be very happy to do that, unfortunately it appears to be for UK drivers only.

If you're in the EU, then your country should have an equivalent.

As has been said previously, the only way to get a car manufacturer to take corrective action on a defect that may be safety related, is to report the potential safety problem to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency, formerly VOSA. This depends on a sufficient number of reports being received, before DVSA will begin talking to the manufacturer. If people don't support the process, then it is no use continuing to complain about potential safety defects being ignored by the manufacturer - whether it is Toyota or another manufacturer.

I formally complained to VOSA (with correct complaint forms) after my EGR had been replaced under warranty, VOSA investigated and wrote to me stating that they did not consider it a safety issue (after I said it was) I think this was because not enough people formally complained to VOSA (as i did) so if you don't make a formal complaint you only have yourselfs to blame for VOSA not receiving enough complaints to take action. Lots of moans and groans on this forum about this yet only one VOSA formal complaint (mine) ! Toyota should make the EGR mod a recall item in my view, they have chosen no to, so I will now keep my IQ for a few years however I also will never buy another Toyota.

I didn't say I was going to sell it and not tell anyone! Please do not jump to conclusions.

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Why tel it? Toyota didn't tell us either that this car has a life threatening manufacturing failure. And they have the knowledge. So if toyota says it's safe, then it is. Don't tell the buyer and try to sell it to someone who does not have access to internet.

Too wrongs do not make a right !

• Like 2

I didn't say I was going to sell it and not tell anyone! Please do not jump to conclusions.

Why tel it? Toyota didn't tell us either that this car has a life threatening manufacturing failure. And they have the knowledge. So if toyota says it's safe, then it is. Don't tell the buyer and try to sell it to someone who does not have access to internet.

Too wrongs do not make a right !

Who said it's wrong? The customer is taking professional advice off a main agent. Who knows a Toyota best? Joe Public or Toyota? If Toyota say it's ok, then we take their word, yes?

• Like 2

Who said it's wrong? The customer is taking professional advice off a main agent. Who knows a Toyota best? Joe Public or Toyota? If Toyota say it's ok, then we take their word, yes?

Yes, because it is not like that the japanese are too afraid to admit error or so. Nothing to do with culture.

• Like 1

There is a big difference between Corporate Toyota and a main dealership. I for one would NEVER ask for any electronic technical information from a main dealer. Because the reply would be " Err What"

Classic example is Katy B's problem with her heated seats.

David

Hi guys,

Need some advice! Taken my car to toyota for the EGR issue and they've said it's no longer under warranty so I need to pay for it?! Help!! I'm not paying £1000 to fix it! Time to sell?!

See what you started? ;-)

Rachael

Did i ask you where in the country you live? I am on good terms with my dealer. I was the first person to get my EGR valve changed on here having discovered the bulletin number and my dealer changed mine out of warranty. Its possible they will do yours also free of charge. May require you to stay local to the dealer for a couple of days. If its something you want to contemplate then i can make enquires for you

David

Hi guys,

Need some advice! Taken my car to toyota for the EGR issue and they've said it's no longer under warranty so I need to pay for it?! Help!! I'm not paying £1000 to fix it! Time to sell?!

Who, Rachel or was it the engineers at Toyota who failed?

Rachael,

Well my dealer is in North east London. I know its a long way but is it worth it to you for me to enquire. Will need a reg number that you can Pm me

David

Hi guys,

Who, Rachel or was it the engineers at Toyota who failed?

Or was it the profit motive?

All this debate because Toyota refuse to accept liability for a design problem, that is the "root cause" of the EGR issue !

Well after my talk to my local toyota dealer and to toyota uk customer service desk they both quoted me 1500 to get it sorted, so my wifes t190 celica was in to my non toyota dealer being looked at i asked the mechanic an idea i had, and his reply was you got nowt to loose as egr no matter where the gases are take from will get sooted up. So here goes - 1/3 of a bottle of redex injector cleaner in the fuel at £6 has done the trick and the car is running as it was when i got it, and the mpg has gone up a bit to and ive got 2/3 left for if it ever happens again.

• Like 1

I am now in possession of the bulletin associated with this problem.

The subject is "Reduced engine power during take-off or acceleration from low speed"

It goes on to state that some customers have experienced this Phenomenon. The production change from 06/2010 goes on to say the EGR pipe has been moved to after the catalytic converter in order to reduce the amount of soot build up in the EGR. The production change has been changed from EURO 5 models onwards.

The repair procedure. Is to inspect the insulator, intake Manifold No 1 for carbon deposits at the ports. ( a picture is shown where these ports are exactly

If deposits are found then it is suggested that these parts are replaced with new ones

Insulator, intake Manifold No 1

Manifold Assy, Exhaust

Pipe Assy, Exhaust, FR

It then lists part numbers and repair time.

Also under a headline of WARRANTY INFORMATION

Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint. I expect the latter being this is not a recall

David

• Like 1

I am now in possession of the bulletin associated with this problem.

The subject is "Reduced engine power during take-off or acceleration from low speed"

It goes on to state that some customers have experienced this Phenomenon. The production change from 06/2010 goes on to say the EGR pipe has been moved to after the catalytic converter in order to reduce the amount of soot build up in the EGR. The production change has been changed from EURO 5 models onwards. The repair procedure. Is to inspect the insulator, intake Manifold No 1 for carbon deposits at the ports. ( a picture is shown where these ports are exactly

If deposits are found then it is suggested that these parts are replaced with new ones

Insulator, intake Manifold No 1Manifold Assy, Exhaust Pipe Assy, Exhaust, FR It then lists part numbers and repair time.

Also under a headline of WARRANTY INFORMATION Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint. I expect the latter being this is not a recall

David

So toyota knew it! What a sneaky....

Looking at it,i suppose you could clean the port on the insulator,intake Manifold No 1 or replace it and re-fit with new gaskets. Then keep your engine clean with engine cleaner and save yourself a hefty bill. Seems to effect cars from around 40-60k mark. It only states that the production change reduces the build up of carbon/soot at the intake Manifold No1 not prevents it. You may be able to get a local garage to replace it at a reasonable price and do your best to keep it clean

David

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give you an update ... I've had the spark plugs changed and I've cleaned the exhaust/filter and the difference has been phenomenal! Obviously it's a temp measure unless I keep cleaning it but seems to have done the trick for now and I can comfortably pull out at junctions/roundabouts :)

• Like 1

Here is a list of items/parts for people with "EGR" problem. Taken from the Bulletin EG-0064T-0811

The main culpret is blocked/ sooted ports on insulator,intake Manifold No1 part number 17135-40020. It is assumed this item can be cleaned but it is recomended for replacement ( maybe because of the labour costs to clean it) this part is not a modified part its original. But is the item that gives you the symptoms when clogged. Gasket part no is 17178-40020 and gasket for the EGR part of the inlet Manifold part no 25633-40020.

My thoughts are with this item replaced you may well be looking at the fault "cured " for up to 60k miles til it soots up again and that you may be able to stem this by fuel additives. If any one wants the complete list of components to do the complete mod let me know. I would think a local garage could replace this part for you at minimum cost. Thoughts anyone?

David

1/3 of a bottle of redex injector cleaner a new air filter and mine running fine, cost £6 for the bottle and i can use 2 more times before i have to buy a new one.

I have had the EGR pipe etc changed at Toyota (thank God for the warranty) and the car still performs fine after about 3k miles with the new parts in.

Just to make you aware, Redex 500ml (the big bottle) is currently on BOGOF at Halfords, bagged 2 bottles for £8.49 on Friday. I am still to see if it helps in any way, please don't take this as a product endorsement!

Direct link to it: http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/redex-petrol-injector-cleaner-500ml

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links