Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor Fuel Consumption / Oil Consumption Tests / Dirty Egr Valves / Mr

kanulondon

So my battle against my poor consumption figures continues. To recap . . . when I got the car, it had 70k on the clock and had a full service history.

The car was averaging 29mpg over the last few thousand miles according to the OBC.

I got me one of those Kingo chips, a new air filter and ran through some engine treatment. Now averaging about 35mpg (Only achieved 37mpg on a 350 mile round trip).

The car went into my local Mr T this morning. It appeared they knew not of the engine problems, so I educated them. They seemed very dismissive but carried out the check anyhow. They advised that I should bring the car back after 621 miles.

The chap from Mr T suggested that the EGR valve maybe to blame for poor economy. They also intimated that it may need to be done (as in chargeable).

Is it worth doing at Mr T's?

Is he trying to fob me off?

Should I clean the EGR myself this weekend? Does it affect consumption of oil?

Any advice welcome, I won't rest until I see that OBC hitting at least 40mpg :-)

I've been driving my passat like a hooligan (in the name of science), with a heavy flat tyre (18" Alloy) in and it's done a calculated 41mpg from short 8 mile each way journeys. We use the Rav from longer more comfortable runs....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kanulondon

• Mistermena

• CharlieFarlie

• Davrav

I don't know much about EGRs, but do have a small suggestion to make. You may want to verify your fuel consumption by doing the calc yourself (miles driven vs litres put in the tank). My OBC tells me that I achieve around 55mpg but in reality it is 43-45. This error is reflected in the false 'Range" reading: it reduces by 1.25 miles for every mile travelled. Could it be the other way around in your car?

And another snippet: I have to drive like the old woman that I am to achieve 45mpg. A twitch of the right foot and the figure drops like a stone. If you cruise down the motorway at 80+mph or push it a bit on country roads, then 35mpg might be not too far off the norm.

I did 81 miles and used 9.2 liters in my rav. Am I right in thinking this equates to 40mpg?

Is this good or bad for a 4.2 diesel rav? Mostly A roads and motorway, semi granny driving

So my battle against my poor consumption figures continues. To recap . . . when I got the car, it had 70k on the clock and had a full service history.

The car was averaging 29mpg over the last few thousand miles according to the OBC.

I got me one of those Kingo chips, a new air filter and ran through some engine treatment. Now averaging about 35mpg (Only achieved 37mpg on a 350 mile round trip).

The car went into my local Mr T this morning. It appeared they knew not of the engine problems, so I educated them. They seemed very dismissive but carried out the check anyhow. They advised that I should bring the car back after 621 miles.

The chap from Mr T suggested that the EGR valve maybe to blame for poor economy. They also intimated that it may need to be done (as in chargeable).

Any advice welcome, I won't rest until I see that OBC hitting at least 40mpg :-)

I've been driving my passat like a hooligan (in the name of science), with a heavy flat tyre (18" Alloy) in and it's done a calculated 41mpg from short 8 mile each way journeys. We use the Rav from longer more comfortable runs....

It's the burning of excessive oil that clogs the EGR. Cleaning the EGR will simply mask the underlying problem.

The fact that the dealer claims to know nothing of the issue would indicate to me that they either service very few cars or they are fobbing you off.

Personally I would remove the chip, leave the EGR as is and return after the appointed miles to let them check for any excessive oil loss as that is one of the key indicators.

You may wish to check your dip stick now and then again just before you take it back for them to check.................

I think that they are pulling a fast one if they are not aware of the problems with the engine and EGR valves coking up and in turn could result in engine failure! Is the car using any oil? Is there a black tinge in the coolant? Is the cabin heater still blowing out hot air and whats the engine temp like? If you can answer yes to some (If not all) of these questions then as you are prob aware that it could be a headgasket issue that is covered under the 7 year 112k extended warranty.

You could clean out the EGR valve but there is a TSB out that has been placed on the forum by mod Anchorman, try and take a look at it when you get a moment. If you decided to take the car back to Toyota for a new EGR valve it will cost you (For the part alone) £196.63 plus vat according to my re-build work sheet. But there is one on eBay for a stupidly low "Buy it now" price of £55 that afaik will fit your car. This is the link but I'd bit his hand off as I paid £160 for mine and it wont be on there for long! http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a16130f0d

This a typical cost of an EGR valve from a dealer... http://www.ebay.co.u...=item53e9ee96c3

I would hot foot my car to another dealer if mine didn't know about the problems with a certain model of car. Lets be honest, you had to tell them about the problems and they are the main dealer??? Vote with your feet mate.

Hope you get it sorted out soon... :thumbsup:

Hmmm..

Thanks for advice. Will remove Kingo Chip tonight, as I don't want that masking any problems should they exist...

I calculated my figures with and using mpg calcs ( fuel used and distance). On the 360 mile run I drove unrealistically conservative and barely exceeded 70mph

If car isn't using excessive oil, is last hope the EGR?

Just reading other updates (my mobile is slow) will definitely try another dealer if I don't get satisfactory service. I don't think they service many T180's

So EGR guide. I will wait until my 621 miles before giving it a polish...but at 50 I may just buy a new one

Hmmm..

Thanks for advice. Will remove Kingo Chip tonight, as I don't want that masking any problems should they exist...

I calculated my figures with and using mpg calcs ( fuel used and distance). On the 360 mile run I drove unrealistically conservative and barely exceeded 70mph

If the car is using excessive oil then it could mean a new 3/4 engine FOC mate

Hmmm..

This is the TSB - see attached :thumbsup:

Oil consumption egr clogged extended warranty1.pdf

Yep try another dealer, did the guy you spoke to have a wooden leg and a patch over one eye.

Dont forget the Parrot saying pieces of eight :arrgg-matey:

Hmmm..

This is the TSB - see attached :thumbsup:

Nice one Dav :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just reading other updates (my mobile is slow) will definitely try another dealer if I don't get satisfactory service. I don't think they service many T180's

So EGR guide. I will wait until my 621 miles before giving it a polish...but at 50 I may just buy a new one

I dont think you can go far wrong for a genuine new Toyota part. I'd have bought it for that price, but I already have 2 new ones,:thumbsup:

Would just cleaning it make it like new? Is it really necessary to buy a new one????

Cleaning it is no problem. Its what it could be hiding is the issue. :thumbsup:

Hi Alex!

The EGR valve is where the problems come from. If the carbon clogs in the EGR valve the it will stay in the cylinder, it can't escape because the EGR valve is full. The carbon will settle at the piston ring which will result in more oil consumption by the car, more diesel consumption and even the gasket could be torn apart.

I don't have tuning chips on the motor. I use the car on short journey (single trail road) and it does 33MPG. I think that this is not bad. I went to the service 3 weeks ago, oil change and EGR valve cleaning. The cleaning cost 54 quid. If you want to clean your then you'll save £54 and it will do good to the engine. :thumbsup:

J

I did 81 miles and used 9.2 liters in my rav. Am I right in thinking this equates to 40mpg?

Is this good or bad for a 4.2 diesel rav? Mostly A roads and motorway, semi granny driving

Distance travelled in miles divided by Gallons Used

81 / (9.2*0.2199) = ~ 40mpg . . . . Nice figures :) Not too sure what the stated figures are. But for a wee blast those are good figures

Hi Alex!

The EGR valve is where the problems come from. If the carbon clogs in the EGR valve the it will stay in the cylinder, it can't escape because the EGR valve is full. The carbon will settle at the piston ring which will result in more oil consumption by the car, more diesel consumption and even the gasket could be torn apart.

I don't have tuning chips on the motor. I use the car on short journey (single trail road) and it does 33MPG. I think that this is not bad. I went to the service 3 weeks ago, oil change and EGR valve cleaning. The cleaning cost 54 quid. If you want to clean your then you'll save £54 and it will do good to the engine. :thumbsup:

J

Hello Josef,

So . . . Is the view that I should clean the EGR valve or just let it ride (so to speak)

Hi Alex!

J

Hello Josef,

So . . . Is the view that I should clean the EGR valve or just let it ride (so to speak)

If the exhaust from the cylinders is clean then the EGR won't clog. The fact that it is getting clogged indicates that there is excess soot/oil in the exhaust.

A clogged EGR is one of the indicators of a problem that could entitle you to pretty much a new engine. If you are having the engine checked after 621 miles then I would advise you leave it.

If you ultimately get no where with Mr T it is not difficult to clean yourself subsequently.

HTH

To the OP .. All these questions were asked and answered in a previous thread posted by You... I sent You My phone number so I could advise what and where to get it done as We live in the same area ... That offer still stands .. You have My number ..

Wee Charlie.

Hi Alex!

J

Hello Josef,

Thank you Mr. Davrav for your explanation! :thumbsup:

So ... clean it from time to time, if you don't want to change the motor.

Look at the pdf doc. The combostuin chamber change is not a surprise in the new engines (maybe after 2007 or 2008?).

J

new block.pdf

Well the Kingo chip is disconnected and obc indicates 33 mpg from Edinburgh to Glasgow..average speed 30mph! Will continue to monitor

@Charlie - Thanks for offer. I sent you a text and a PM at the weekend there. Thought you maybe about and I was going to pop over but I didn't hear back. Think I will not make any changes. Will check coolant though...

Thanks all

Thank you Mr. Davrav for your explanation! :thumbsup:

So ... clean it from time to time, if you don't want to change the motor.

Look at the pdf doc. The combostuin chamber change is not a surprise in the new engines (maybe after 2007 or 2008?).

J

I think you missed my point Jozsef.

The OP may well be entitled to a new, modified, and by all accounts quieter and more fuel efficient engine under the extended warranty terms if there is sufficient evidence to support a claim.

Cleaning the EGR before an engine check by Mr T will remove one of the pieces of evidence.............

I agree with David !! Do Not clean that EGR !!!! Leave everything as it is .... I will happily tell the OP what happened with My situation and which buttons to push.... We both live within 15 miles of each other and I do know the thought pattern of Our local Dealers.... Providing there are genuine issues with the car it is just a matter of saying the right things.....

Wee Charlie.

EGR will be left well alone. I will seek guidance from Charlie on how to deal with the dealers.

Not sure of your schedule Charlie, hence my text. I will try you (call you) at the weekend.

Honestly I feel that my Kingo Chip papered over the cracks of my poor consumption. I basically fitted within a few days of owning the car and today's run to Glasgow and back (over 80 motorway miles) tells me something isn't right. With a VERY light foot and under 70mph the live read out was pretty much always below the mid point (unless I coasted). The passat would have probably done 60mpg with this sort of driving.....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links