Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor Fuel Consumption / Oil Consumption Tests / Dirty Egr Valves / Mr

kanulondon

My rav4 T180 has just had the engine swap and I'm still only getting 34 mpg on a run

Mine still has the original engine at 25k miles, Dale, and in the current temperature, I am glad to see 30mpg on the OBC...WAS YOUR MILEAGE BETTER OR WORSERER PRE ENGINE JOB ?

Big Kev :unsure:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kanulondon

• Mistermena

• CharlieFarlie

• Davrav

My rav4 T180 has just had the engine swap and I'm still only getting 34 mpg on a run

Mine still has the original engine at 25k miles, Dale, and in the current temperature, I am glad to see 30mpg on the OBC...WAS YOUR MILEAGE BETTER OR WORSERER PRE ENGINE JOB ?

Big Kev :unsure:

It was worse I was getting about 29 mpg before the engine job and it's alot quieter now as well

Thats got you thinking hasn't it Kev???

You can't expect a 180 engine to be as good as a 136 or 150. The only way to get all those horses out is to put something in and I'm afraid that is diesel.

To be honest I think the people who are saying they are getting 40+ mpg from a 180 are getting that down hill

To be honest I think the people who are saying they are getting 40+ mpg from a 180 are getting that down hill

;)

The car is capable of getting those figures on a long run. I fully expect the new engine to give me an extra 5mpg at the bare minimum and once the chip is back on, I expect a further 3-4mpg eeked out

Will let everyone know

What are these kingo chips every one keeps talking about are they any good what do they cost?

What are these kingo chips every one keeps talking about are they any good what do they cost?

Have a look HERE Dale.

Lots of satisfied customers :thumbsup:

Have a look HERE Dale.

Didn't realise they came from lindops it like 2 seconds away from my house I'll pop down there next Saturday and ask about them thanks for the link

Have a look HERE Dale.

Didn't realise they came from lindops it like 2 seconds away from my house I'll pop down there next Saturday and ask about them thanks for the link

In that case best drop by the pie shop on the way as I hear Kingo is partial :eat:

• 2 weeks later...

As discussed I took the car to the dealer to do an oil consumption test. Dealer topped up oil and I brought car back after approximately 650 miles. According to mechanics, the car had used 0.82L of oil. Not sure how they figured it out so precisely as I just used dipstick (which was clearly down). 75% of the miles were piled up on the motorway . . .

Has anyone got any idea how the required level of loss for an engine swap is reflected on the dipstick? i.e. Is it a quarter of the way down from the marker, a half, or more?

They will be looking for it to lose a litre of oil (from the top mark to the bottom mark) in 600-1000 miles.

They will be looking for it to lose a litre of oil (from the top mark to the bottom mark) in 600-1000 miles.

Thanks for that; useful to know.

• 3 weeks later...

I ran some BG244 and filled up with BG Ultimate, i saw an immediate improvement.

41 on a 11 mile journey, 39 on a 137 mile journey, driving like miss daisy though!! getting around 34- 35 on a mixture of roads. BG244 helped though.

IMG00055-20111222-0757.jpg

IMG00057-20111223-1047.jpg

I ran some BG244 and filled up with BG Ultimate, i saw an immediate improvement. 41 on a 11 mile journey, 39 on a 137 mile journey, driving like miss daisy though!! getting around 34- 35 on a mixture of roads. BG244 helped though.

Pleased something has helped :clap:

I ran some BG244 and filled up with BG Ultimate, i saw an immediate improvement.

Only one bottle or more BG244 helped ?

I know what BP Ultimate Premium diesel, but not BG. What is BG Ultimate?

Thank you!

Jozsef

Only one bottle or more BG244 helped ? I know what BP Ultimate Premium diesel, but not BG. What is BG Ultimate? Thank you! Jozsef

He meant BP Ultimate Jozsef ;)

Only one bottle or more BG244 helped ? I know what BP Ultimate Premium diesel, but not BG. What is BG Ultimate? Thank you! Jozsef

He meant BP Ultimate Jozsef ;)

Ooohhhh.......clear-cut! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd give everyone an update on my situation....

The car went into Mr T's the first week on January and I didn't get the old girl back for over 2 weeks :disgust:

Basically after the engine swap the car wouldn't start so it needed new injectors fitted (they took almost a week to investigate and change parts).

So what's it like to drive?

To be perfectly honest.... it's pretty much the same. The engine is less noisy and the clutch has some bite to her now (got it changed at cost)! The car is clearly still bedding in and can sometimes start oddly on a cold morning (but this is getting better)

The MPG?? Well that's improved a notch (as in 1-2mpg) averaged 30mpg in a few hundred mixed urban miles. Once the weather is a bit warmer I'll strap the Kingo Chip back on and see how she fairs.

Thanks again to those who help and advice (you know who you are!)

Will probably leave the car for a while whilst we prepare for an addition to the family..

KL

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links