Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor Fuel Consumption / Oil Consumption Tests / Dirty Egr Valves / Mr

kanulondon

Interesting read there Kanu, let us know how you get on please.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kanulondon

• Mistermena

• CharlieFarlie

• Davrav

My rav t180 has gone back to the main dealer today... I had the modified pistons fitted in may this year before they started replacing the 3/4 engine... The egr valve is heavily soiled again and my fuel economy is still around 29mpg - 30mpg no matter how carefully i drive and oil is still being used. Toyota did the oil consumption test and determined that there was still a problem... The company that handles the warrantys for toyota would not authorise the 3/4 engine to be fitted into mine as it had already had the piston mod and as such they are now stripping down my engine to confirm if the pistons were installed correctly - god knows what they will find...!

I was quite disappointed that I couldnt get the new engine as obviously my engine still has the same problem! They've got my car for 3 days so I'll wait and see what they find / fix!!!

Wow - all these experiences with clogged EGRs, blown head gaskets & terrible MPG really isn't filling me with confidence in my new car. I'm beginning to think I should have done a lot more research than I did before buying it . . . :rolleyes:

My rav t180 has gone back to the main dealer today... I had the modified pistons fitted in may this year before they started replacing the 3/4 engine... The egr valve is heavily soiled again and my fuel economy is still around 29mpg - 30mpg no matter how carefully i drive and oil is still being used. Toyota did the oil consumption test and determined that there was still a problem... The company that handles the warrantys for toyota would not authorise the 3/4 engine to be fitted into mine as it had already had the piston mod and as such they are now stripping down my engine to confirm if the pistons were installed correctly - god knows what they will find...!

I was quite disappointed that I couldnt get the new engine as obviously my engine still has the same problem! They've got my car for 3 days so I'll wait and see what they find / fix!!!

Mine is going back into Mr T as I'm not convinced that my 2nd new engine hasn't blown another head gasket. Its been in 3 times now since the 2nd build and they say that all is okay. So I've just bought a new SNAP ON coolant pressure tester and I'm going to do my own tests now. If its gone again I'll be taking it back to have a little word with them. I just hope that I'm wrong!!!

Mine is going back into Mr T as I'm not convinced that my 2nd new engine hasn't blown another head gasket. Its been in 3 times now since the 2nd build and they say that all is okay. So I've just bought a new SNAP ON coolant pressure tester and I'm going to do my own tests now. If its gone again I'll be taking it back to have a little word with them. I just hope that I'm wrong!!!

Mate do You mean second rebuild or second new engine giving fault ??

Its the 2nd( Re-build) new engine pal. Its had 3 in its life including the original one!!! :crybaby:

That's a tough break there with the engine . . . Surely they'll need to replace instead of continue down this course of action? I hope they find something of note :unsure:

I am around half way through my consumption test and mpg is about 30 now. I am away for a few days so not sure whether I will actually get to Mr T's within the alloted mileage window (my wife drives the car and I am not having her deal with Mr T!). I called up the dealers and they advised I'd need to just come in again to restart the test if necessary. Oh well

KL

Could somebody tell me that how many miles could a car go with a tank (60 litres diesel) of fuel? 2006 year, 57k, T180, original engine. Normal usage, motorway, no extreme conditions.

Thanks for the answers.

J

Could somebody tell me that how many miles could a car go with a tank (60 litres diesel) of fuel? 2006 year, 57k, T180, original engine. Normal usage, motorway, no extreme conditions.

Thanks for the answers.

J

Depends on how hard you put your foot dowm mate!:rolleyes:

depends on to many things! What speed? What gear? ect ect ect....

Its the 2nd( Re-build) new engine pal. Its had 3 in its life including the original one!!! :crybaby:

Mate do You mean Re built by the Dealer in their workshops or was it an exchange engine on a pallet from Japan ??

Thanks for the answers.

J

Jozsef. Here is an example...

Forth Road bridge to the Midlands... total journey 360 miles.. I go across country from Edinburgh to Abington about 80 miles or so.. The rest of the journey is all motorway so 280 miles or so. This is done at 70 MPH on cruise control. My trip computer will show 145 miles left in range and the needle on the fuel gauge shows slightly over the quarter mark..

So in My case it would seem 505 miles in a reasonably mixed driving condition albeit mostly motorway...

Car as You know is a T180 with a new engine and running the latest edition of the Lindop / Kingo box... HTH............................

That's a tough break there with the engine . . . Surely they'll need to replace instead of continue down this course of action? I hope they find something of note :unsure:

I am around half way through my consumption test and mpg is about 30 now. I am away for a few days so not sure whether I will actually get to Mr T's within the alloted mileage window (my wife drives the car and I am not having her deal with Mr T!). I called up the dealers and they advised I'd need to just come in again to restart the test if necessary. Oh well

KL

If the engine was rebuilt at the Dealers then it will fall on them to put things right as they are a franchise and have been paid by Toyota to put things right....

If You have problems with a new engine sent over from Japan the Toyota will replace it with another engine that will of course also be sent over from Japan.. The Dealer will be paid to remove the old one and fit the new one..

Re You mileage test.. It simply does not matter if You run over the miles on the consumption test !! The calculation will be worked out Pro Rata... If they are suggesting You start again perhaps I will come down to the dealers with You ??

I have checked My information with the Service Manager of a Toyota Dealers just this morning.. HTH.

Mate do You mean Re built by the Dealer in their workshops or was it an exchange engine on a pallet from Japan ??

Re-build at the dealer. Your engine should be fine as it came from Japan.

Yes I had already sussed it Mate after My conversation with the Service Manager.. You threw Me for a while when You said new engine in Your text......

Yes I had already sussed it Mate after My conversation with the Service Manager.. You threw Me for a while when You said new engine in Your text......

You've thrown me to now mate. You had a conversation with which service manager? I take it you mean where your car went for the new engine?

Thanks for the answers.

J

Forth Road bridge to the Midlands... total journey 360 miles.. I go across country from Edinburgh to Abington about 80 miles or so.. The rest of the journey is all motorway so 280 miles or so. This is done at 70 MPH on cruise control. My trip computer will show 145 miles left in range and the needle on the fuel gauge shows slightly over the quarter mark..

So in My case it would seem 505 miles in a reasonably mixed driving condition albeit mostly motorway...

Car as You know is a T180 with a new engine and running the latest edition of the Lindop / Kingo box... HTH............................

Thanks for the answer Charlie, this is what I thought. Maybe I didn't ask the question right. This is what I meant: how far can you go with a tank of fuel? :)

We are going to Newcastle on saturday (via Forth Road Bridge-Edinburgh-A1 main road-Newcastle harbour) this is 330 miles. From Amsterdam it's 1000 miles on the motorway, through the Netherlands, Germany and Austria. I am calculating the refuelling, the prices of diesel...etc. Euro zone... brrrrr

J

You've thrown me to now mate. You had a conversation with which service manager? I take it you mean where your car went for the new engine?

No I spoke with Him this morning to clarify the position if a re built or replaced engine were to fail...

Thanks for the answers.

J

Thanks for the answer Charlie, this is what I thought. Maybe I didn't ask the question right. This is what I meant: how far can you go with a tank of fuel? :)

We are going to Newcastle on saturday (via Forth Road Bridge-Edinburgh-A1 main road-Newcastle harbour) this is 330 miles. From Amsterdam it's 1000 miles on the motorway, through the Netherlands, Germany and Austria. I am calculating the refuelling, the prices of diesel...etc. Euro zone... brrrrr

J

One thing I failed to mention is that to get the best figures I fill with VPower diesel. My car definitely burns the cheap stuff like say Tesco s much faster !!!!!!!

Thanks for the answers.

J

J

One thing I failed to mention is that to get the best figures I fill with VPower diesel. My car definitely burns the cheap stuff like say Tesco s much faster !!!!!!!

Ok, Charlie. Thank you!

J

Sounds like an awesome road trip you got there Jozsef! I reckon you'll do it in 3 tanks no bother :-) I assume fuel is cheaper on the continent?

@Charlie. I may take you with me for protection :thumbsup:

As the chap I spoke to was adamant that Toyota simply wouldn't accept any consumption tests over 621 miles. I'm with you as it should be fairly straight forward to extrapolate the figures and work back to 621. Am in Germany next week but will check in next weekend

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Thought I'd share my update with you . . .

As discussed I took the car to the dealer to do an oil consumption test. Dealer topped up oil and I brought car back after approximately 650 miles. According to mechanics, the car had used 0.82L of oil. Not sure how they figured it out so precisely as I just used dipstick (which was clearly down). 75% of the miles were piled up on the motorway . . .

After taking it in this weekend the dealer asked for me to come back to undergo further testing. I wasn't quite sure of what this testing was . . . but I towed the line. I also kindly reminded the dealer that I was driving like a granny to achieve my current 29.9mpg!

Anyhoo . . . I was scheduled to bring the car back in today (which I did) and I got the call I was expecting at lunch time. They have found the car to be excessively using oil (resulting in poor consumption) and Toyota are willing to do an engine swap out.

So hats off again to Mr T for seeing sense. Car booked in for swap in January

Thanks for ALL YOUR HELP, I really couldn't have pursued this matter without everyone's support

KL

Hello Everyone,

Thought I'd share my update with you . . .

As discussed I took the car to the dealer to do an oil consumption test. Dealer topped up oil and I brought car back after approximately 650 miles. According to mechanics, the car had used 0.82L of oil. Not sure how they figured it out so precisely as I just used dipstick (which was clearly down). 75% of the miles were piled up on the motorway . . .

After taking it in this weekend the dealer asked for me to come back to undergo further testing. I wasn't quite sure of what this testing was . . . but I towed the line. I also kindly reminded the dealer that I was driving like a granny to achieve my current 29.9mpg!

Anyhoo . . . I was scheduled to bring the car back in today (which I did) and I got the call I was expecting at lunch time. They have found the car to be excessively using oil (resulting in poor consumption) and Toyota are willing to do an engine swap out.

So hats off again to Mr T for seeing sense. Car booked in for swap in January

Thanks for ALL YOUR HELP, I really couldn't have pursued this matter without everyone's support

KL

Result Alex :thumbsup:

Great news mate. A happy Christmas from Toyota to you. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My rav4 T180 has just had the engine swap and I'm still only getting 34 mpg on a run

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links