Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bmw Diesel Engine For New Auris

adamc260

[i wouldn't be to worried about it if its already had a new engine on it as your car has low milage and if (God forbid) it goes again then Toyota will put another one in! Cold comfort, but thats the was it is with these 2AD Polish built power units.

Paintpot says its a 2.0d Taff, that won`t be a 2AD motor :unsure:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mistermena

• dervdave

• Daveyonthemove

• Red diesel

[i wouldn't be to worried about it if its already had a new engine on it as your car has low milage and if (God forbid) it goes again then Toyota will put another one in! Cold comfort, but thats the was it is with these 2AD Polish built power units.

The OP says its a 2.0d Taff, that won`t be a 2AD motor :unsure:

Oops!... I hate this new format to the forum pages! The 2AD is affected, but also are the 2.0d as I understand from Ormi.

The 2AD is affected, but also are the 2.0d as I understand from Ormi.

I didn`t know that mate.

AFAIK the problems are not soley with the 2AD engine, it would seem that other oil burners also suffer but not as much as the 2.2 as far as I'm aware mate :-)

AFAIK the problems are not soley with the 2AD engine, it would seem that other oil burners also suffer but not as much as the 2.2 as far as I'm aware mate :-)

Its the first I`ve heard of it, I wonder if Ormi could elucidate (good word that :D )

Its the first I`ve heard of it, I wonder if Ormi could elucidate (good word that :D )

Yer a very good word mate!... If I knew what the hell it meant! lol. :fireman:

I was going to search Ormi`s posts but I see your there before me Taff :lol:

I'm like the SAS mate! in and out and you wouldn't know I was there! Funny enough, my Mrs said the very same thing to me last night!... Should I be worried or go see a Doctor? :ermm::eat::donatello::drunk::hang::giljotiini:

Had my auris 2 days , can honestly say its the worst designed car ive ever had.

25% worse economy than vw 130 pd

feels like 25% less power

50% more noise more like a tractor than a modern car

engine life expectancy 30-50k??

visibility bordering on dangerous

All these issues have been raised in these forums

As soon as reg doc comes back from dvla its up for sale. Cheap motor anyone?? 2008 (08) auris 2.0 d4d sr 5dr silver 43k new engine 250 miles 12 months warrranty toyota backed, sure could transfer.

Cant afford to run one of these. dont need the worry. back to vw audi for me!!

Can' say I blame you for going back to a VAG group car. There customer service is !Removed! compaired to Toyota but at least the cars dont drink fuel and blow up in xxxxx miles :mellow:

Can' say I blame you for going back to a VAG group car. There customer service is !Removed! compaired to Toyota but at least the cars dont drink fuel and blow up in xxxxx miles :mellow:

back to vw audi for me!!

Whatever floats ya boat............. lifes short and its only a car ! :bye:

Vag has as many problems as toyota there isn't a good car made these days they are all cheaply made vw are as bad as ladas go on to mk 5 golf fourm to u see

Boras are nice cars and the 1.9 TDis are a good engine

Auris isnt as good imo however as someone else

VAG group have issues too.

Red dieselu

Go to any car forum you like and they will all have common and less common issues.

That's the nature of car forums. It doesn't mean that you will have any of the problems others have.

I have the 2.2 engine in my car, and I have not had any problems with it, but the brakes are a different matter. I seem to be getting better MPG out of mine than most people on here, but for ME it's too low to be a car I drive often.

A Hybrid diesel should be the perfect engine, providing the emissions control don't clog it up and cause more problems.

. A Hybrid diesel should be the perfect engine, providing the emissions control don't clog it up and cause more problems.

I would think the DPF will be more likely to block as there won`t be any `passive` regeration using the electric motor in town so the only chance to regenerate will be on extended journeys.

I`m supposed to be having a try of the new Peugeot 3008 diesel hybrid next month so I might find out then ?

http://www.peugeot.co.uk/vehicles/peugeot-car-range/peugeot-3008-hybrid4/

I tend to agree Dave, but if it is used properly (Battery power for town driving and derv engine for long hauls) it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

But somehow I get the feeling that this potentially great idea will have issues that hinder its potential.

I tend to agree Dave, but if it is used properly (Battery power for town driving and derv engine for long hauls) it shouldn't be too much of an issue. But somehow I get the feeling that this potentially great idea will have issues that hinder its potential.

I was thinking of a scenario where your regular commute was only a couple of miles outside the electric range the diesel would kick in running to get you to your destination which would block the DPF pretty damn quick.

I tend to agree Dave, but if it is used properly (Battery power for town driving and derv engine for long hauls) it shouldn't be too much of an issue. But somehow I get the feeling that this potentially great idea will have issues that hinder its potential.

I was thinking of a scenario where your regular commute was only a couple of miles outside the electric range the diesel would kick in running to get you to your destination which would block the DPF pretty damn quick.

I wonder if it would be possible to fit a 2nd exhaust with a normal catalytic converter (many cars - some Jag S types spring to mind have 2 exhausts already) and have it dormant in normal operation - ie DPF getting a chance to work normally. But if the DPF gets too blocked - the exhaust gases are diverted to the 2nd exhaust. Youd still have a cat and everything on the 2nd exhaust - just no DPF. If that was possible

then it should address the issue and indeed the DPF issues in general. Obviously youd need a 2nd engine map - but i see no reason why that

couldn't be done. Tuned performance cars already sometimes come with dual maps - and some Modern Massey Fergusons have the ability

to run at a higher power level then standard in certain operating condition.

With the Masseys the driver doesn't have to do anything - the tractors electronics detect the need for more power and do their thing.

Red diesel

Without a DPF the soot wouldnt get burnt off, then the emissions police would come around and shoot you on the spot.

I don't know how reliable the BMW DPF system is, but they do manage to make some of the most powerful and economical diesel engines in the lowest tax brackets.

This can' t be a bad thing, and I would hope that anyone looking at diesel hybrid would consider a petrol hybrid if their daily commute was going to be short, and pick the diesel for longer journeys.

With the ability to offer both, Toyota should be advising their customers on the engine which would suit them better and reduce the amount of DPF problems coming back to them.

I wonder if it would be possible to fit a 2nd exhaust with a normal catalytic converter (many cars - some Jag S types spring to mind have 2 exhausts already) and have it dormant in normal operation - ie DPF getting a chance to work normally. But if the DPF gets too blocked - the exhaust gases are diverted to the 2nd exhaust. Youd still have a cat and everything on the 2nd exhaust - just no DPF. If that was possible

then it should address the issue and indeed the DPF issues in general. Obviously youd need a 2nd engine map - but i see no reason why that

couldn't be done. Tuned performance cars already sometimes come with dual maps - and some Modern Massey Fergusons have the ability

With the Masseys the driver doesn't have to do anything - the tractors electronics detect the need for more power and do their thing.

Red diesel

Red makes a very good point here! why haven't other marques adopted this system like Massey? Cost no doubt...

I don't know how reliable the BMW DPF system is, but they do manage to make some of the most powerful and economical diesel engines in the lowest tax brackets. This can' t be a bad thing, and I would hope that anyone looking at diesel hybrid would consider a petrol hybrid if their daily commute was going to be short, and pick the diesel for longer journeys. With the ability to offer both, Toyota should be advising their customers on the engine which would suit them better and reduce the amount of DPF problems coming back to them.

Agree completely !

They might be able to tune the derv to generate less soot in the same way they've tuned the HSD petrol engines to extract more energy from petrol at the expense of torque.

The biggest problem with current gen diesels is NOx; The soot production is actually pretty low, esp. if you switch to biodiesel or V-Power.

Even my Yaris, which has a pretty old D4D, doesn't produce any visible smoke unless I floor it from a standstill or try and accelerate up a hill in a stupidly high gear :)

Red diesel

Red makes a very good point here! why haven't other marques adopted this system like Massey? Cost no doubt...

Just to clarify the Massey Ferguson system only adjusts the power of the engine in tough operating conditions, the suggestion on the dual exhausts was my own suggestion.

I was just pointing out that my suggestion would require a dual map for it to work and i was pointing out

that Massey have a set up that can adjust the power of the tractor if the system detects a need for more power. Thus demonstrating that

a dual map is possible. I assume (not a good idea generally i know) that this power adjustment is done by the tractors electronics. Thus all

the parameters on the ECU would have to change - ie boost and fueling - when the tractor changes power setting. This i would have thought would mean a 2nd map would be required - which the tractor would change to. All i can say with certainty is that the tractor can switch between power settings by itself - driver doesn't do anything.

Massey don't have DPFs as far as i know (i think the emissions rules might be different for tractors and plant then for cars and trucks).

Red diesel

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links