Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

For The Attention Of Tarquin

Tarquin old chap. Can you tell me if it is possible to upgrade a basic iQ -like mine- with things like remote tailgate unlocking, and so on?

Not specifically that particular thing... SIgh!

Here is what I mean. My youngest son had a BMW 3 Series Coupe a few years ago and he had the guys at the BMW dealer where he worked to 'Switch on' that nice little gadget where the doors lock when the car reached 5mph.

I think this was done through the connection to the diagnostic machine. I don't know if Toyota's are built in a similar way or not. Knowing Mr. T., it will be not.

I know you can upgrade by fitting the blue bulbs and so on, but what about that kind of thing, do you know if it is possible? :unsure:

post-113536-0-81840700-1326927859_thumb.

post-113536-0-16365400-1326927903_thumb.

Hi Bob,

The trouble is there is very little information regarding the ECU and what its been mapped with. There must be certain conditions available regarding the car moving because the seat belt alarms if its not fastened and the car is moving .For there to be an arrangement where-by the doors lock whilst moving and un-lock whilst stationary, it involves circuitry with hystorisis (hang time) built in, to not only detect movement but an actual speed and if that speed increases past that threshold, the doors remain locked but if the speed falls below they still stay locked for a pre-determined time.You wouldn't want them to keep locking and opening when you brake or at lights etc. 2 schools of thought on that, some people who think they are vulnerable, lock the car all the time they are in their car. I am not sure the auto locking works for all conditions . Like not so good to stop someone trying to get in at the lights ,but great to stop a child escaping at speed. Would be a lot of work and experimentation to achieve it.

As for the remote boot unlock. I did cover this a few weeks back. If you wanted to use the existing remote ,you can't as it needs an extra coded signal. It would be possible with a second remote and receiver. The problem is the tail gate is not counter balanced as it is on a BMW. You could mechanically arrange springs to do it, but it has to act slowly or by releasing the the lock it could shoot up and hit you under the chin.Lots are possible but a lot of work is involved.

David

Thank's for that. I recall the boot unlock mechanism you wrote about. I think it was because of the handle/boot release on the tailgateof getting dirty, muddy and even wet. It's not a problem when undoing it at home as one can easily wash your hands when you go in. When you are out shopping or whatever, it's a messy matter. Maybe an old cloth kept in the door pocket to use -as it can be washed- on the latch instead would be a problem easily solved?

I don't suppose Mr. T. would be very forthcoming with what can be set up via the ECU mapping. I mean, they can't even own up to mistakes or plain old laziness. I guess my son was lucky he had mates working with him that didn't think it was a problem to upgrade his ECU controlled gubbins and gadgets for the car.

Shame that some of Mr. T.'s employees are a f e c k less bunch of... so & so's. Still, my last big job I had, we called the managers Jellyfish, as they were spineless. The people we worked for must have scared them.

May sound a small problem but the one thing I wish I could change is the heater controls.

My car has the climate control so has the round dial with the 3 buttons in the centre but everytime you start the car the control defaults to the temperature setting. For me it would be far more useful if it defaulted to the fan speed so I don't have to press the button before adjusting the fan speed each time. I tend to leave the temperature setting where it is and just change the fan speed depending on misting, temperature Etc.

I've checked the customize parameters section in the handbook and that dosen't seem to be an option.

Craig.

Hmmm, I'm sure mine stays on what it was last set at i.e. fan or mode or temp?

I'll have to check now!

It does as you say revert to temp on ignition start up. Will try holding the fan button in and start it up. May be able to diode strap the chip. Will look at it tomorrow.

David

Cheers David

Don't waste too much time on it as it's a silly thing really, I'm sure I'll get used to pressing the button each time but any ideas or solutions will be gratefully received. :)

Craig.

I set my temp to 20 and put it on automatic and it seems to adjust the fan speed etc as required without any intervention from me, other than first thing on a cold morning the demister may be required very briefly.

Apart from pressing the demist button I have never had to touch any of the heater controls after their initial setting up.

(Except when the car comes back from a service and everything has been screwed up..30 degrees temp, full fan etc and radio on some tacky station...)

Hmmm, I'm sure mine stays on what it was last set at i.e. fan or mode or temp?

I'll have to check now!

I did check and it does do as you say, I'd never noticed until now, Thanks! (only joking). It just shows, it does pay to have a poor memory, as i never know what i left it set on :)

Had a look and its not possible to override that function. If you do hold the fan button in and start the engine it still starts in temp mode. So I took the consul out and had a look at the control interface and its controlled by a programable rom which is not reprogrammable. You would have to know the ASIM source code to change the code and programme another chip and replace it..An awful lot of work even if you had the source code. P.S if by holding in the fan button and starting , it stayed on then it could be done with steering diodes. Another thought just came to me. I could make a circuit that sensed the temp LED and momentary put a short on the fan switch , actuating it then shutting off and waiting til you have to re-start the engine at any time, then it would fire again. It would be so fast that would give the impression it started in the fan mode. Isn't electronics wonderful. The draw back is you would no doubt need me to fit it for you.

David

Second thoughts, Maybe I'll just press the button each time. :)

Thanks for looking into it, I didn't expect you to pull your car apart for me. Sounds like it could be possible then but probably more hassle than it's worth and yes, I'm sure I would need help to fit any mods too, I'm fine with mechanical bits and can rebuild engines and gearboxes but show me a PCB and I'm lost! :)

Thanks again David

Craig.

I think all in all the best really useful upgrades to the basic model are

1, The interior Light

2, The extension of the interior light to the rear

3, Proper footwell lights

4, Puddle door lights

I think the official /Un official add-ons are

!, mirror repeater change out to one that has puddle lights built in

2, Auto switching DRL's

3, change older model door mirror switch plate to one's with integral handles

The rest is cosmetic enhancement

David

Marc, links dont work mate. :(

Fish

They worked for me !!

Dave

Marc, links dont work mate. :(

Fish

They work on my iPhone.

I really like the blue one. Not keen on the white one

David

Amazing doors & I really like the LED lights

I did before i put the DRL's in , think of putting them in corners at the front where some people carbon cover. But couldnt find a good chrome 3mm mount.

David

Cut the links back and they worked. I like the grey door protectors and the hooks for the rear seatbelts.

Fish

Had a look into changing my seat belts for ones with hook retainers. Although you can simply lift the cap and un-bolt it and remove it and change it for one with the hook. Good old MR T only sell the new one's complete Didn't enquire about cost but my guess its going to be a lot of money for a plastic cap.

David

Those hook retainers do look pretty nice but are they needed? There is a sowage place in the car for the belt buckles already although it is a bit cruder than those.

Craig.

Yeah I've already got them in the cutouts, but looks crap IMO. Hooks look a lot better.

Fish

Here's another job for you David. Do you think it's possible for you to get the mirrors to fold in automatically when turning off the ignition and fold out again on starting the engine?

Hope this works David. Here is a project for you.

http://s1190.photobu...ser_media_share

And white with stripes

http://s1190.photobu...ser_media_share

Regards

Marc

In case any one is interested http://turborevs.org.uk/lambo%20door%20kits.htm

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links