Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyrol Silver Stone Chips And Scratches

Fizzbang

What do you guys use to touch up stone chips or scratches....or do you just leave them to pros to sort out.

Depends how big/deep they are David...............

Very light scratches can sometimes be polished out - rule of thumb is that if you can feel the scratch with a finger nail it will be too deep for polishing.

Small stone chips can be touched in with appropriate paint and either a very fine brush or the tip of a cocktail stick. Just do it in layers 'til just above the surface and then rub back after hardening off for a few days. Finish off with the clear coat. Toyota sell a touch up kit for about a tenner from memory.

Charlie will have lots of tips for this I'm sure :thumbsup:

Pre repair..

stone_chip3.jpg

Chips painted in and paint layered up... It is important to layer the paint up to just below the final surface. This is so lacquer can be applied in the final stages of paint as if You are polishing out the paint and laquer will be slightly different in colour..

sanding.jpg

After wet sanding and several different polishes all done by machine but can be done by hand..

repaired1.jpg

I should point out that I did not do the above and used those pictures as I cant find the ones I took when doing repairs the same..

I can now achieve the same or better results .. It takes a little time and is actually not that hard to achieve.. Patience is the critical element here ..

Over the years, and I tend to keep my cars, I would treat the chip or scratch, either with polish or paint stick, and every two years or so take it to "Colin the paint" for a general clean up. This way the car always looks smart and doesn't cost a fortune to keep nice.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links