Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

0W 20 Oil - Not Available In Top-Up Size

FROSTYBALLS

My Auris 1.33's handbook states that the oil to be used should be 0W 20. OK - when I've had my car serviced, that's what I've asked to be used. What amazes me is that the supplying and servicing dealer (Burton on Trent) doesn't stock the 0W 20 oil in a one ltre size, that one can buy and use in case of top-up. My locasl Toyota dealer (Birmingham) also doesn't stock the 0W 20 in a one litre size.

My local Halfords superstore doesn't stock a 0W 20 - nearest being 0W 30. There seems to be no Toyota dealer within the greater Birmingham conurbation that stocks this oil in a one litre size.

a 4 or 5 litres size is way beyond what is needed, and would take me about 20 years or more to use.

What is the point of Toyota using this oil, and saying that if another oil is used, it should be replaced at the next service with 0W 20, if one cannot buy the 0W 20 oil from Toyota dealers.

End of rant.

They can order it in for you the 1L part no is 08880 82652. cost around £15 IIRC.

I had to get Toyota involved when my local dealer were very awkward when I tried to order some for my dads gen3 Auris. Apparently they hadn't recieved the technical bullitin and were using 5w-30 for servicing.

As above, just order that number, its £17.41 at todays price. Ive sold 2 litres of it in a year so not a lot of call for it in 1 Litres sizes, although we do keep one on the shelf

Kingo :thumbsup:

I suspect they are all using 5W-30 for services, when i asked about this very subject last month the service manager said the 0W-20 is for the hybrids, i could tell he was making up the excuses as he spoke because in that section about the oils to be used it doesn't even mention the hybrid.

I think i will phone customer services thursday and see what they have to say, though the last time i spoke to them about my new yaris not having a pollen filter fitted from new they said it was an optional extra!

I suspect they are all using 5W-30 for services, when i asked about this very subject last month the service manager said the 0W-20 is for the hybrids,

I think i will phone customer services thursday and see what they have to say, though the last time i spoke to them about my new yaris not having a pollen filter fitted from new they said it was an optional extra!

Hybrids DO use 0w 20 and so do Optimal drive Petrol engine cars

Some previous gen Yaris did NOT have a pollen filter fitted, although there is a box to fit one in

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks very much for the information.

Just wish either of the two dealers I use had actually advised they could order the oil for me, instead of just saying we don't stock the oil in that size.

Off to the Isle of Skye on Friday for just over two weeks - so haven't got time to order before we go, but shall order some on my return.

Off topic, why do you need a top-up bottle? Just in case, or you top-up regularly? Why don't you top it up at a Toyota service station and keep trac, officially, on the exact amount. If something is wrong they will tell you. Otherwise if the amount is too low you will probbably have no need of a top-up bottle.

Just in case. Each May we go to the Isle of Skye for just over two weeks - mileage around 2,000 miles in the period. No franchised dealers on Skye nowadays - nearest Toyota dealer likely to be Inverness. The small service stations on Skye would only have common oils like 10W 30.

Thanks for the reply Kingo

My handbook says the oil in the car from new is SAE OW-20 and is the best choice for fuel economy and starting in cold weather and if this is not available SAE 5W-30 may be used but should be replaced at the next service, according to the service sheet SAE 5W-30 was put in the engine but it was later explained by the service manager that OW-20 is just for for hybrids, that’s not what it says in the handbook.

As my car is a 2010 SR Optimal drive your statement means they have put the wrong oil in it, as mentioned elsewhwere, page 570 of the NON Hybrid handbook obviously has no mention of the Hybrid, so he was just giving me more Bull.

I suspect it Frosty had a means of testing the oil in his car he would find it was 5W-30 and they tell him it's OW-20 just to make him go away, my reasoning for this reaching this conclusion is this... My experiences with the dealers is you can't believe a thing they say, from the people on reception to the service manager they will tell you downright lies and B/S and try to treat you like a fool! The dealers in Warrington tried to tell me the oil leak on my Yaris was a tiny bit of residue around the drain plug, this residue was leaking 20 drops of oil a day from the undertray and it took them all day to fix it, more B/S.

Re the filter, i can't believe Toyota would be so cheap to as to make the pollen filter an optional extra or even omit fitting one, it would cost them about 50p each.

That Yaris got so dirty inside with dust and grit it was a nightmare.

If Lindop Toyota use the recommended oil (OW-20) when servicing i think i will have a day in Wales next year and leave it with you for my next service, can you confirm this Kingo?

Apparently they hadn't recieved the technical bullitin and were using 5w-30 for servicing.

g.gif

A technical bullitin is probbably one phone call away.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links