Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Timing Belt Replacement

SimFan

I got some contradictory information from garages on when the (distribution) belt of a non-vvti Avensis ('98 model) should be replaced.

Some say at around 60.000 miles, others say timing has changed to around 90.000

miles.

Play it safe, or play by the book ?

Thanks.

I have recently bought a pre VVTI Avensis 1998, in the service schedule it does state 60,000 miles belt change, also 63,000 for the Iridium spark plugs. I would suggest change it as an engine smash up because of a slipped or broken belt with be a disaster of huge monetary proportions. The bloke who did mine (and I know to be honest ) advised to get the belt kit that includes the tensioner wheel at extra cost of £15 as it sometimes it is these that die and not the belt at all.

Thx smokinmyman,

But that is for a Diesel car (Iridium spark plugs) is it not (also says so in my

maintenance guide).

I have gasoline, in which case (rather odd) it is supposed to last longer.

But I have/had never heard of a car with a belt that could last that long (for sure).

I know of alfa romeo models that are advised to change belts after about 30000 miles.

But better play it safe then if there is no conclusive answer.

In this group some people must have driven much more miles already for sure (taxi?).

But thx, I don't mind this money spent now, compared to many more £ later on !

Going to get the kit as you say.

I would say 60k, but what I have heard elsewhere in Toyota's hey day of engine design, the 4A-F and 3S-FE don't have a problem if the belt snaps, you just lose drive but I wouldn't quote me on that as I havent found out first hand.

As regards the spark plugs, yes those ones do last longer, but the 1.8's must have them for smooth and effective use as the engine runs a bit hotter so although cheap plugs can be sourced they don't work ideally, and if you intend to keep the car, paying £20 a plug isn't any more expensive than paying £5 a plug if you need more of them.

it's 60k (63,000?) along with the replacement of the Iridium plugs. I've just had mine done, I had to get it done a couple of months ago at 54,000 miles though as the car has low mileage.

I'd get it done at your 63,000 mile service or before hand if you want to spread the cost. I'm not sure exactly what the consequences are, but seeing as it could mean a new engine I wouldn't take the chance. You could always call the Toyota garage for a quote, they should confirm what the reccomended mileage is if you ask.

I went to a main dealer as I thought that at least the work should get done properly and paid £185 a few months ago for my belt replacing, I had to go 9,000 miles early (at 54,000 miles) since my car was low mileage and I had to go on the age rather than mileage. If you're in the UK and your car has a full Toyota history, they can just look up your car on the computer and tell you what service you are due and when.

Actually I was talking with the Toyota Garage Supervisorabout this last week, when I went to pick up my lady. He said that most of the cars till 2001-2002 have to be replaced at around 100 K Km(60K miles), before depending the driving conditions. Also said that newer cars have to changed at 150 K kms, so depending on the model the specification is different. I had to replace it at 83K km, so do it you too after achieving the limit given in the book. it doest hurt.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Coyote from BA

Argentina

Thx ALL,

My car is way overdue...

Will have it done ASAP.

Is this job easily DIYed? Do you need a spocket puller, etc? Any hints, instructions, tips on what to do appreciated.

I saw it being done a couple of times.

That's why I realized. Not me.

Also depends a lot on make of the car AFAIK.

Important:

Tools.

Garantee (or lack of).

I am having it done in a non-toyota garage (that I trust).

Will let you know how difficult it seems to me on this car compared to others.

There is no margin for error!

• 4 weeks later...

I had the timing belt replaced at 70000 mi (overdue).

The belt still looked OK though.

May even have lasted the +90000 miles cited for some Avensis models(?).

The belt tesioner pulley, however, was in a bad condition.

I also had two other belts changed (not much extra work involved anyway).

Worked with a 'qualified' guy.

Took around 2-3 hours.

Cost (parts only - VAT inclusive, work for free -except for some beers- by my friend) was:

3 official ('gates') belts + tensioner: around 100 £.

Can't risk an engine for that.

I myself could never ever have pulled this one off.

But I guess, on a car without airco (like mine), a handyman can do it.

Toyota left some more space to work in than I have seen on other cars.

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links