Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Intermittent Starting Issue - 2003 Rav4 Gx 5Dr 2.0 Vvti

LeeADAB

If the fuel pump c/open relay seems to be working as it should then something else is telling the ECU not to prime the fuel. When I de-pressurised the system by running the car without that relay installed it ran out of fuel. It then wouldn't start at all until I manually primed the fuel.

That tells me that the ECU is ok but something in the instant I power on the car reports that it is bad and the ECU turns off the pump. Like in an accident something must " break" to shut off the pump?

Could the MAF be bad?? I have just read this post

http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/4o88y-toyota-celica-gt-thought-save-care.html

Which mentions this statement....

" ToyotaTom :

This will bypass the circuit opening relay. This will basically bypass a few sensors and the CO relay and apply power directly to the fuel pump to turn it on as soon as you turn the key to the on position

ToyotaTom :

Generally if this works, either the circuit opening relay is bad, or the air flow meter is bad"

Maybe the oil pressure switch, throttle position sensor?

Garage have done some further testing and found no faults. Good news I suppose! Fuel pressure is perfect etc etc.

They have removed the fuel pump and the filter is "black" so I requested they change that tomorrow.

Today I found this which may have come at exactly the right time......

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/85-4-1-faults-fixes/131529-2000-rav4-fuel-pump-electrial-question.html

I have asked them to order another part for the fuel pump while it is apart......23020A - REGULATOR ASSY, FUEL PRESSURE W/JET PUMP

post-105906-0-20038500-1383578805_thumb.

To me it makes sense to change that and rule it out while they have access and if the fuel is running back to the tank overnight then that should stop it. His post also seems to say that the fuel pump only works while cranking or the engine is actually running.

Watch this space.

Also had the Air-con re-gassed for the first time in 10years as it wasn't as cold this summer and the windows take longer to de-mist now. No leaks at all so more good news!! :) :) :)

• 4 weeks later...

It has now been 23 days since replacing the Fuel Filter and fuel Pressure regulator.

It has started perfectly every time!! (Damp, wet, frosty conditions etc)

I have even had a couple of weekends away when the car has not been used. After the weekend it also started up perfectly.

Before the two items were replaced it was happening every copule of days so I really think that has solved the problem. It drives perfectly!!

The other week I did a 7 hour round trip to collect my new alloys. I covered 290 miles (mainly motorway) on 40L of fuel (brim to brim fill up). That's 32.9MPG!! :) - Not bad MPG for a 10year old car!!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links