Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

E10 Ethanol/petrol Fuel Compatiblity

Konrad C

On 4/12/2020 at 8:23 AM, joyne said:

Romania.

I think my country is the only one in Europe where there is only E10 for sale.

The following website shows where in Europe E10 is currently sold: https://epure.org/about-ethanol/fuel-market/fuel-blends/

Compared to E5, It is estimated that the use of E10 will reduce emission of greenhouse gases by 2%, whilst fuel consumption may increase by 0.7%.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The following website shows where in Europe E10 is currently sold: https://epure.org/about-ethanol/fuel-market/fuel-blends/

Compared to E5, It is estimated that the use of E10 will reduce emission of greenhouse gases by 2%, whilst fuel consumption may increase by 0.7%.

I agree. Quite a few countries are already running E10. Remember when catalytic converters and unleaded petrol first came out, it was said that fuel consumption will increase, but engines got more efficient and less polluting. It's called progress, unless you are a diesel fan! 

On 3/16/2020 at 4:42 AM, BALIKBAYAN said:

Mrfixer, I believe that it is the 1 AZ-FSE engine that doesn't like the E10 petrol, not the 1AZ-FE engine.

They are very look a like almost like twins, but the major difference is that the FSE engine has an additional high pressure fuel pump (up to ca 150 Bar).

Konrad, those seals in the fuel line is only supposed to be changed, when you are doing something with the fuelsystem. As the h.p fuelpump is bolted to the cylinder head cover it means what ever you are going to do with the engine you have to dismantle the fuel system.

Good to know about the seals and if the seals need replacing, I wonder if the replacements are spec to handle the higher ethanol content? 

On 3/17/2020 at 3:32 PM, joyne said:

My avensis 1AZ-FSE work very well with E10 (95 and 98). Of course, consumption is higher by about 1 lt /100 km.

My question above about handling the extra ethanol content, goes to you too. I wonder if everything had been upgraded by Toyota, or you have not had or noticed any problems? I was thinking that you may have the 1AZ-FE engine that looks similar, but without the high pressure pump. I don't think there was a non D-4 version of the Avensis available in Europe! 

The car is SH. I am not the first owner and I do not know if he received the recall. The engine is 1AZ-FSE.
And as for pollution, let me contradict you; higher consumption means greater pollution.

On the paper. But in real life the truth is another. And the consumption given by the producer is different from the real one.

Romania.
I think my country is the only one in Europe where there is only E10 for sale. Leaders tell us that they are norms imposed by EU. Bull$hitt! with E5 the consumption is lower and therefore the pollution is smaller.

Well, according to test results from German automobile club ADAC the fuel consumption difference between E5 and E10 are neglectable, and I did comparisons myself with various cars and mororcycles - and I also found no difference. So I use E10 because it always is a few cents cheaper than E5.

However, the reason for the E10 introduction is questionable: The car industry very much advocated for the mandatory introduction of E10, because E10 has five percent more ingredients made from sustainable CO2 sources such as corn. So a car powered by E10 has a 5% smaller carbon footprint by design. On the other hand, vegetables should be used for food, not for fuel...

Best regards from Bavaria
Frank
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...

I'm banging around in a 2003 1.2 VVTi Yaris (still passing MoT's) and chose to stick with an ageing vehicle through hell and high water because it's more environmentally friendly to not change to a new one, and certainly more environmental to run them into the ground. I'm doing my best with the latter!  Now they've produced a 'green' fuel that will damage my car (no fossil based car is that green, believe me) , and the AFAIK only option is a premium 98 RON fuel that I have to buy with my limited RAF invalid pension.  

Soon as these expensive spawn move out, the better.  I have to drive them to college.  

I wonder if the consumption increase on E10 will cost the same as premium petrol, over time?  

On 4/18/2020 at 4:36 PM, joyne said:

The car is SH. I am not the first owner and I do not know if he received the recall. The engine is 1AZ-FSE.
And as for pollution, let me contradict you; higher consumption means greater pollution.

You are not contradicting me, but the person in the quote I posted, since it's not my words. Only noticed this a year later! What I have read is E10 is supposed to be less 'efficient', so the performance and economy may be slightly worse! I also read from different sources that some have noticed, others not at all. Back when leaded petrol was being phased out in the UK, for a while there was three fuel pumps - leaded (4 star), unleaded, and diesel. I had a '85 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 using 4 star. I then found out that I could switch to unleaded which was cheaper, so I just switched after checking the timing. Noticed hardly any difference. 

When we in the UK start to switch over, I will then be able to give my experience.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links