Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Door Bins

Has anyone come up with a plan to stop stuff rattling around inside their door bins? It seems that no matter how tightly I pack things in there to stop them moving around, they get loose and annoy the hell out of me.

Question 1- Do the door bins come off the door?

Question 2- Any other suggestions on how to cure this bothersome issue?

See, I think 'bothersome' is a great word, like, 'What-ho old boy!' What? As in WTF, and that isn't Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.

My plan was to get something, maybe felt, and stick it inside the door bins, like a liner, but not a bin-liner. Any -sensible- suggestions will be greatfully read.

:thumbsup:

Bob the whole door panel is one piece. How to fix the rattle. Put the items in the door pockets and fill the pocket with 2 part resin and leave for a day. Result no rattling

David

• Like 1

I like bothersome, well chosen word old boy!

The Yaris has a similar pocket I think. I have a window scraper in there (one with a foam edge) and it holds my sunglasses case a treat, stops the moving and rattling

You could of course remove everything from the pocket and put it in the boot..........no noise..........job done................just saying lol

Kingo

• Like 1

How about doing something with grip mat material. Lidl and Aldi sometimes have this stuff in large pieces that one can cut to siz.

Yep, thanks for that one Frostyballs. I have ordered some, looks just the ticket... erm, 'door pocket liner.' There will be an update after the job's done, with pics of course.

David... what can I say? Craig, I did think of going the 'foam' route, but with pieces cut, so it would be like a camera case, with cut outs for the door pocket junk, but then I realised it would restrict putting other junk into it.

Kingo, I almost do the same as you.I wedge stuff in with things like one of those demister pads, so it's squashy and holds stuff, but like I said, take something out and it's like that old game Ker-Plunk, all of my marbles come out...

At least with the rubber matting, it will still allow 'larger' items to be placed in it. I noticed yesterday that I had asked this question some time ago and got some good suggestions then, and also realised I could have just resurected that thread. Never mind.

I've spent a lifetime playing seek and destroy with rattles in cars. An absolute obsession. Everything from creaking dashboards, squeeky seats to "something loose". I understand the frustration with the door pockets but I have to say my iQ is generally rattle and squeek free. I trend only to put soft things in the pockets (CD case, glasses case etc.) and hence no rattles. What is it you are putting in the pockets that rattles? It may seems an obvious suggestion but just don't put anything that will rattle in the pocket. I keep all such items in boot tidy/organiser.

• Like 1

Yeah, I guess you're right Nick, but when I did the same in my other cars, I never had this rattling problem. You may or not know -depending on which iQ you have and if acts the same as ours does- that in the iQ1 1.0 manual there are vibrations when accelerating. These and the poxy pot-holed and basically crappy maintained roads rattle and bounce things around in there. We have two large clear oblong plastic bins in the back of the car to stop stuff sliding around in there, as we have the seats down 99% of the time. So, reaching around the back of the seat isn't a problem when parked up or sat in stationary traffic, but trying to get something on a journey from the back could prove a little dangerous, so stuff goes in the door bins. There isn't really a lot in there, a pack of chewy mints or two, a case for a pair of sun-glass lenses that I fit to my 'seeing where the hell I'm going' glasses' which is clear plastic, a hand held mirror (also plastic) I sometimes need at awkward junctions -as I can't turn my neck very far to left or right, a pen -plastic, a small notepad for mileage details and so on at fill ups, and occasionally some waste paper like pay parking tickets that were on display in the car park. The noise from them though drives me mad at times, and other times I barely notice them.

Anyway, the issue will be resolved when my grip mats arrive and I tailor them to the door pockets and the centre bottle/drink holder. I appreciate all the suggestions made on here, and thankfully I have acted on it this time, unlike my previous post on the same subject. I struck whilst the I-ron was hot in my memory, as once there it goes where the hell it likes, usually where I can't find it.

As for the rattle from the tray under the flap in the 'boot' area being loose and rattling, I think ours is alright, but I'm going to check that too as I suppose it could 'undo' itself with all the shaking over potholes and bumps in the road.

Hmmmm...... If I was going to put some things into the doors bins to make the most annoying rattle posible they would probably be 1) plastic glasses case, 2) plastic pen 3) plastic mirror and maybe a couple of marbles for good measure!

Put them all into a small zip up bag like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unisex-Toiletries-Wash-Bag-Orange/dp/B007RLOV78/ref=sr_1_38?ie=UTF8&qid=1362209050&sr=8-38

And you will be rattle free but still have easy access.

Hmmmm...... If I was going to put some things into the doors bins to make the most annoying rattle posible they would probably be 1) plastic glasses case, 2) plastic pen 3) plastic mirror and maybe a couple of marbles for good measure!

Put them all into a small zip up bag like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unisex-Toiletries-Wash-Bag-Orange/dp/B007RLOV78/ref=sr_1_38?ie=UTF8&qid=1362209050&sr=8-38

And you will be rattle free but still have easy access.

True, true. But now I've ordered the non slip mats that I can cut (and stick) to shape in the door bins and maybe the drinks holder between the seats too. However, one thing this question I threw out there has shown, is that you guys can come up with all sorts of alternatives. One would have thought that at the price of a new iQ (from 09 onwards) the door bins would have been lined with something. I mean, the emphasis with this car was on some upmarket items being fitted to a city car, and yet a simple thing like that didn't occur to them. Perhaps when testing they don't stuff the door bins with rattly things or anything else for that matter. How could Toyota car testing -before going on sale- miss something like that? Tut tut Toyota.

By the way Nick, we do already have a bag like that in the back, with our CD's, bits and pieces too, but it's too wide for the door bins. That certainly would have been a different solution to the problem.

I wonder how Aston Martin have addressed this issue in the Cygnet ?

Fitted leather lined door pockets I guess!!

• Like 1

My 2006 Corolla Colour Collection had removable rubber mats in the base of the door pockets - which helped stop items in the door pockets rattling/moving about.

Shame Toyota didn't continue with these. Must have added only a small amount to production costs.

• Like 1

Bob

I had the tinyest of tinyest screws in the cup holder, so small they didnt even look like screws , like out of a watch. I had forgotten i had put them there. The noise of these jumping beans was horrendous !! Sometimes it would sound like a buzz sometimes like a rattle. Took me ages to find it. I have a big sheet of the grippy dashboard stuff and i am going to glue it in the pocket like a lining. Even a pen rattles!! Btw the door panel is made up of 3 panels which are plastic riveted together so you you have to work within the pocket

David

David

• Like 1

Hi David, Yep, the worst thing is not being able to find out where the hell the noise is coming from. I think this has been quite a good exercise in many answers to an annoyance not just in an iQ, but other cars with cheap plastic door bins. Looking at the door bin this afternoon I realised it ain't gonna be easy. But what is these days, oh yeah, getting into this country, but that's another story entirely. I am looking forward to ridding the car of rattles all together, but I'm thinking one of them is coming from somewhere near the grab handle above the drivers door. Having checked out the long narrow box in the back, covering the jack and gunge assembly, that is not now a contender, nor anything in it as it's packed tight full of stuff wrapped not to rattle.

We have always used the latex grid stuff that is sold here in the US of A as a shelf liner. It's cheap, color coordinated (you may have to look a bit ot match the light gray of the door pockets, though), and easy to cut to size

I always cut a piece too big for the opening, then trim it down until it fits. Once done, I use the one for the left bin as the template for the one for the right.

We use the same stuff for the glasses bins in the overhead consoles. The Toyota padding isn't really enough to keep them from rattling, but a three-sided pocket of the stuff in each hole shuts them up right quick.

• Like 1

I wonder how Aston Martin have addressed this issue in the Cygnet ?

Fitted leather lined door pockets I guess!!

From what I can see on interior pictures, there is a similar arrangement to the Toyota Glovebag, but on the doors, and I think it's an option. Otherwise, there doesn't appear to be anything there. Certainly looks more classy, but then, more expensive so not a surprise. The doors are lined with leather too, with numerous options, even the central drink holder at the back of the 'centre console' is leather lined.

We have always used the latex grid stuff that is sold here in the US of A as a shelf liner. It's cheap, color coordinated (you may have to look a bit ot match the light gray of the door pockets, though), and easy to cut to size

I always cut a piece too big for the opening, then trim it down until it fits. Once done, I use the one for the left bin as the template for the one for the right.

We use the same stuff for the glasses bins in the overhead consoles. The Toyota padding isn't really enough to keep them from rattling, but a three-sided pocket of the stuff in each hole shuts them up right quick.

Any pictures of this stuff? A manufacturer's name would help. Ta.

I don't have any unused laying around, and taking a photo of the inside of the bin only shows the back of the bin.

As for brand names, the last roll that we bought came from our Target stores here in the US of A. Most stores that sell kitchen sundries and the like will have it in stock, in large rolls to be used as shelf liner in kitchen cabinets.

Your Halfords sells something similar:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_203827_langId_-1_categoryId_255214

The material is formed by laying down cross-hatched patterns of streams of latex, with the mesh size being about 1/10th of an inch, and the streams being about the same width. It cuts easily with scissors/shears, and once laid in place tends to stay in place. I tack ours down once it is cut to fit with a light spray over of 3M spray adhesive.

Mind you, you still do get side to side motion - I didn't bother to run the stuff up the walls like I did in the ceiling console glasses compartments. If you go that far, you can silence just about anything. But, if I didn't already have a pattern for the glasses compartments from two previous uses, I wouldn't have gone to the trouble.

Should be similar to the item I stuff I mentioned from Amazon previously

I have a reel of this Bob if you would like me to send you some for 2 pockets

David

post-109788-0-62611500-1362484743_thumb.

post-109788-0-90426200-1362484779_thumb.

Sensha and David, thanks for the help. Sensha, the information has helped and thanks for that. David, thanks for the offer, but guys, the stuff I ordered arrived this morning, and it's like both of you are saying/showing me. Almost exactly. Great stuff and I want to thank Frostyballs and Nick too. I got the black version of it, and a roll of the blue, and another colour (it's not in front of me so I don't remember, but it doesn't matter). It really is good stuff and I would certainly recommend this to anyone with annoying rattles in door bins, or cup holders, or... whatever you like. My wife's out in the car at the mo, so gotta wait to fit this stuff, looking forward to it. I know it isn't ground breaking stuff, or what I'm going to do with it, but pics will be made available later for anyone who hasn't used this great material.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, kind of an update here. I took the opportunity of semi-decent weather and time to do the job today but alas, it is not to be. The double sided sticky pads I used are crap and I need to find something else to stick the material with. The sticky pads had no problem sticking to the inside of the door pocket, but peeling off the other side of the 'paper' to stick the mat to, well, disaster. They would not come off without peeling the sticky pad from the plastic inside the door pocket. Even some I partly and fully pre-peeled would not work well enough to stick it. So, in search of better sticky pads or something else.

In the meantime I have left the unstuck mat in the door bin to see if the stuff works in stopping rattles, by placing all that crap back in it. My wife has taken the car out so shall be asking later if it worked or not. I took pics, but not worth putting them on here until the job is done properly.

Bob, I have some 3M padded tape on a reel if you want some

David

Bob, I have some 3M padded tape on a reel if you want some

David

Hi David, very kind of you to offer that. (If you have some to spare, that would be great. Please let me know cost/postage ta.) Just want to say, I put the material in the door bin and it does work, no rattles. However, I have now noticed more blood-y rattles from the sun-visors, and the door grab handle on the drivers side. Also from the back but I know that's because my stepdaughter has been in the back and therefore using the seatbelt, causing the rattle when not in use.

The sticky pads are okay, but not for this job. The material is clearly not fixed inside the doorbin, but if nothing else, the lack of a good 'sticky' has proved the concept works. The door bin inside is as y'all know, an awkward shape with ridges on the inside top of it. It's not a problem but will I am sure, for me, involve a sesh of swearing.

post-113536-0-75276400-1363355996_thumb.

post-113536-0-32072900-1363356009_thumb.

post-113536-0-55819500-1363356780_thumb.

post-113536-0-95276800-1363356790_thumb.

post-113536-0-18245100-1363356826_thumb.

post-113536-0-01593900-1363356846_thumb.

post-113536-0-95580900-1363356859_thumb.

post-113536-0-44444800-1363356875_thumb.

post-113536-0-48615200-1363356892_thumb.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links