Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Door Bins

Mmnn me thinks i can see chocolate bits in those bins

david

You might just be right, but I'll never admit it. That'll be Jan eating chocolate in the car, not something I'd do... :nono::eat:

I know that you're getting some 3M tape, which will probably solve the issue of attaching the gripping material inside the bins. Sellotape also do a version of the double sided tabs called 'Outdoor Sticky Fixers' which are a bit more durable than the standard items - see; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sellotape-Outdoor-Sticky-Fixers-Double/dp/B000KN06TC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363392826&sr=8-1

When I pad a compartment, normally I just do the bottom, and rely upon gravity and the generally "sticky" nature of the matting to hold it in place. That keeps the stuff from laying there and rattling due to an uneven profile. The only place that I go with the "walls" is in the glasses compartments, where the compartment "rotates" from one position to another.

For the wall installations, I just use contact cement, which bonds to the matting well, yet does not permanently affect the compartment itself. After you get the mat cut to size, you coat the back of the mat with a light coat of the stuff, do the same to the interior of the compartment where the mat is to be attached. Then you wait until both surfaces are "tacky", then press the material in place.

I should add that the most infuriating rattle I ever experienced was with the glasses storage bin in our Toyota Previa. The rattle was intermittent (since my wife didn't always leave her sunglasses in the car), and due to the cavernous interior of the van, the sound rolled around within the volume. Once I finally connected the glasses being in the car with the rattle, it was just a matter of lining the compartment and the rattles stopped.

Since then, Toyota has taken to putting some rubberized padding in the compartments, cutting it down from those sources. However, door compartments are still a problem. And, keeping them clean with the matting installed is an additional reason why I just lay the stuff in there rather that glue it down.

Frostyballs, thanks for that. They look good and plenty recommend them on Amazon.

Sensha, I appreciate what you're saying and must admit I had not considered the cleaning of the door bin once the matting is fitted. Our vacuum cleaner will no doubt take care of that, although our English Springer Spaniel has a large tongue that could easily remove crumbs from it. The down side to that is his breath stinks like an open waste bin with everything topped in mouldy spores. The other end doesn't smell any better either! Vacuum cleaner it is then.

I have to admit that the cheap and nasty looking and feeling plastic used in too many areas of the iQ surprised me. Maybe it's because it weigh's less than nicer feeling and harder wearing plastic that resists scratching. Let's hope that when they bring out the new iQ all of our assorted niggles about the car have been addressed and sorted out.

Just a minor update... have noticed that my drink container I use for the drivers door pocket is a little tight with this material around it. So, thinks, maybe just put some of it on the bottom where the drinks container sits, otherwise it will be too snug a fit, which will likely remove the stuck down matting when pulling out the drink container, either that or I get a less chunky one? Let that be a lesson to y'all, try it before ya stick it.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay here it is at last. Well, I did have to wait for a nice day, and today the wind had dropped enough to have the car door open without it being blown off the car, yes, it's rather windy here in the valley. First off, I want to say that it was an easy job, even for me. Second, the most difficult part was fitting the sticky tabs in the end of the door pocket nearest the back of the car, rather tight for fingers to peel off the second tab, the multi-tool came in very handy.

Pic 1 is a pack of two sets of sticky pads. Pic 2 is the 'bump' in the pocket. Pic 3 is where the top of the matting is fixed. Pic's 4 and 5 show a not very tidy bit of matting fixed into the door pocket. Pics 6 and 7 show my poor attempt at cutting a circle... the drivers door pocket and central cup holder. Finally! Pic 8 has the gubbins in it. Not brilliant or too exciting, but I did say I'd show pics of the job.

The passenger door was, I have to say, done better than the drivers door. The matting I used has plenty for this car on one roll. In fact, if you use the stuff roll width wise, rather than roll out and cut along the length of it, it's just wide enough to do front to back of the door bin whilst leaving the more awkward drink holder section free to cut a better circle than I did. Yes, I worked out how to do it better afterwards. I also went through more sticky pads -a whole strip of them- on the drivers door, but far less on the passenger door. Ya learns as ya go.

post-113536-0-70255800-1366402973_thumb.

post-113536-0-16090400-1366403007_thumb.

post-113536-0-94889100-1366403046_thumb.

post-113536-0-40029900-1366403067_thumb.

post-113536-0-68663400-1366403087_thumb.

post-113536-0-33971000-1366403115_thumb.

post-113536-0-15588800-1366403144_thumb.

post-113536-0-66982100-1366403160_thumb.

Very nicely done Bob....

I use the Ikea "rats" .... :-) It works... nothing more to say about it... not fancy I agree... :-P

Here: DSC_0902_zps2efa39f1.jpg

What a novel idea Peter, and funny too. I saw the self same rats in our local Ikea a few weeks ago -local as in 54.7 miles away, about 1 hour 20 minutes if the traffic at J10 of the M6 isn't clogged up. So many innovative approaches to the same problem.

post-113536-0-12606400-1366916014_thumb.

Thanks Bob...

I had these rats in the car... with a reason.... Also the pink life-hammers...

So if a "person" would look in the car....they would think... aaaahhh it's a "girl's" car... soo cute...

And then I hope they do not smash the window to steal something...

Cause I have a permanent rearview monitor and a camera up inside the front-windshield (glass-thing) ... And a loose road-planner thing.. (MIO)...

If I stop somewhere I put the lose things under a pile of "rats" in the middle of the car ... ;-)

Well.... anyways... till now it has worked... :-D

Here some pictures when the rear-view-camera was built in the car...+ the pink life-hammers ... Here: http://s676.photobucket.com/user/realbutcher/slideshow/achteruitrijcamera%20iQ

I have been meaning to get a Life Hammer for years but only earlier this month have I got one. Finding somewhere to fit it was a bugger as my wife found the first position it was in awkward. It was attached to the outside of the door bin, horizontal (now it's vertical and inside the doorbin) and meant she caught her hand on it when adjusting the seat. Could be a vital bit of kit to have in accident, or seeing someone else stuck in an accident. We already have a first aid kit -stuck in the little compartment along the back of the car.

Best of luck with the Rat Pack protecting your stuff. Just keep them hungry and any intruders will get a surprise! :laughing:

Good pics again of the work done, very innovative stuff. Soon your car will be like Swiss Cheese, full of holes. :laughing:

Dear Bob...

Thanks...

Also put an extra Life-hammer on the ceiling... cause when you are upside down in the water or so... and hanging in the seatbelts..you cannot reach for the ones under your chair... So I have three of them.... Yep, hope never to drive in any water or so... But here I have to drive next to a canal with incoming traffic... It is a small road and one cannot mover to the earth-side of the road, due to pavement-curbs... and the other side is water and NO fence...

If one of them gets a hart attack or brain-something they can slam me in the canal... :-(

Here are some OLD pictures... July 2010.... I will upgrade them.... here: http://s676.photobucket.com/user/realbutcher/library/Restjes

Ha ha ha ha ... :yes: "The Scion Flotation Concept... :thumbsup: " Very handy...

Nice model btw!... Nice front.... :-P

Does it have daytime running lights in those little openings, left and right? Naaaaice...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links