Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Rav 4 Is Terrible On Fuel

Smudge999

Cant be seen agreeing with Kev on principle, but having just hit the 10k my mileage has gone up 6mpg, ok it coincided with the weather getting better but I have seen this before at 10k and am sure there something in the management system or it is when they reset the service indicator that changes mode.....

Gus

The plot thickens...

4 x 4's and good mpg are an oxymoron.

I've been told by some well qualified tech types that it's 70k plus before you get best mpg from a diesel.

If you are feeling bad about your mpg just think what my slightly underpowered petrol auto with a 4 speed box is like.

as for now you can forget a good mpg cars - oil companies are paying toyota and others not to be too efficient on gas.

It's business, what's you gonna do...I switched to LPG.

My 59plate Rav is now just under 50k. It's a manual and I regularly see mid to high 40's MPG. I very rarely go above 2000rpm before a gear change. You've gone from a Manual to Auto and that can take some adjusting to. The auto is never going to give you what a manual does, one reason I didn't bother with it. MPG will go up as it runs in.

i have a 2.2 D4D and i can average 42-45 on a 10 mile backroad trip to work 50 on a motorway trip

If you compare like what I just have, the fuel consumption isn't that bad. At present my Rav is off road for some repair work. I get 27mpg in winter and about 32 summer. In the meantime I have had 2 super efficient cars on hire, a Chevy Spark 1.0, worked out to be getting 45mpg and a Nissan Micra 1.2 Auto(the wee supercharged one) which I reckon I've got 40mpg. Where the Rav will cruise along motor ways and up braes the wee engines toil needing nearly full throttle to keep going,drinking fuel. Basically away off the consumption the makers promise

Jas

i'm getting average 50.5 from my mid sized RWD saloon with 7 speed auto box (diesel)

On long journeys 58 - 59 is the norm if I keep under 75.

Figures from on board computer.

Not a Toyota though.

But 4WD seems to affect the consumption whatever the marque.

must be something wrong with your Toyota, In all my years off driving Rav4's ("since 1993") I have never heard off the great company Toyota telling lies, And just a quickie went into Harry Feeneys Blackpool last Friday for my re-call (rear suspension) waited a good 50mins Did not get offered a brew, walked aroung a GT86, sat in the new shape RAV4 no one spoke to me, when I got the keys back I was told everthing was 100%, went to my Vehicle my large very heavy rubber mat was missing from drivers footwell, Went back in to Harrys, I was told they had paperwork to check/remove any mats no secured in the footwell and to tell customers not to drive in that condition, my mat was in the boot, I think they thought I was related to Gypsy Rosalee?? I have a fairly dark completion, Or just maybe the chap who moved the mat did not tell anyone, who knows??? but I'm not a mind reader, even if I look like one

worst problem is people actually lie about mpg misleading others...

• Like 1

Well my computer may be lying but I am not.

Have you any instances of people lying about mpg on here?

I don't know of any people lying - why would they? I put all of my fill up readings into "Fuelly".

I get an average of 29.7 mpg for the petrol 5DR RAV and 56.2 mpg for my Aygo. Driving style does make a difference but also the number of short journeys. I had a 2.2 diesel RAV from new and I think I got about 40mpg from that and 30mpg from a diesel Landcruiser. I was lucky to get 25 mpg from a Subaru with a 3 litre petrol engine but normally I get around the manufacturers combined figures.

David

I meant generally, they exaggerate about their cars mpg usually, like one guy on other forum section reports over 40 mpg in town while average everywhere is listed like 29 mpg or so...

My son has the same model as me but 3 years older. With it's 5 speed auto box and presumably different tuning it does about 35mpg around town and 44 on motorway. I think these 7 and 8 speed boxes make a big difference.

Will the Rav get the ZF 8 speed auto box with the BMW engine?

I meant generally, they exaggerate about their cars mpg usually, like one guy on other forum section reports over 40 mpg in town while average everywhere is listed like 29 mpg or so...

Hmm, Currently running at 41 mpg (Brim To Brim) with an average speed journey of 21 MPH, going up to 45 for faster longer run journeys, Which is not bad considering it is a new engine with under 1000miles. the previous engine was doing 44-45 round town and 47-50+ on longer faster runs.

Ok so that is a 6 Speed manual box coupled to the 136 engine

I used to have a 2.2 diesel auto Rav4 and thought the mpg was quite good, but then my previous car was a Lexus RX350. In the Rav4 I seldom saw better than 35mpg,then I was made redundant so most journeys became short trips which dropped the consumption down to 25mpg at best. I now get much better mpg on the same sjort trips but no longer have a 4x4......

How acurate is the mpg figure on the dash? (General question!)

How acurate is the mpg figure on the dash?

Now mine is more or less spot on - i.e. it agrees within 0.5mpg with my written fuel log. Other folk have quite different experiences.

How acurate is the mpg figure on the dash? (General question!)

The OBC in our 02-reg 5-dr is spot-on, having been checked several times against physical brim-to-brim calcs. Our 54-reg 3-dr on the other hand ia a lying barstool - about 10-15% optimistic the last time it was checked.

The newer car has a fly-by-wire throttle and the 02-reg is an old cable design so I don't know if that's making a difference. As Chris ays, there does not seem to be any pattern to accuracy, or lack of it.

Interesting.

Our XTR3 2.0 auto '54 plate reckons were getting 22mpg..... :Jumpy:

Interesting.

Depending upon usage, it could be correct. We have two autos and, although they have been bombproof reliability-wise, they aren't the most economical beasts. Have you tried re-setting the OBC and then monitor it for a while?

How acurate is the mpg figure on the dash?

Now mine is more or less spot on - i.e. it agrees within 0.5mpg with my written fuel log. Other folk have quite different experiences.

My one aint far out either !!

Interesting.

Depending upon usage, it could be correct. We have two autos and, although they have been bombproof reliability-wise, they aren't the most economical beasts. Have you tried re-setting the OBC and then monitor it for a while?

Put a new Battery in recently so that will have reset the OBC I would have thought?

on my third tank of fuel since purchasing the 59 plate RAv, now done 10,120 miles.

45 litres filled me up again and the tripometer said 395 miles since I last filled up which was also 45 litres.

I worked that out at around 39MPG.

the OBC said 34.9 and I reset that everytime I have filled up

Thats not bad for a car of this style !

I'm happy with that as most of my driving is local and short journeys.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links