Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Rav 4 Is Terrible On Fuel

Smudge999

Interesting.

Our XTR3 2.0 auto '54 plate reckons were getting 22mpg..... :Jumpy:

Depending upon usage, it could be correct. We have two autos and, although they have been bombproof reliability-wise, they aren't the most economical beasts. Have you tried re-setting the OBC and then monitor it for a while?

Put a new Battery in recently so that will have reset the OBC I would have thought?

I'm not sure, Ian. When the new Battery was fitted to ours by Mr.T, the OBC average mph & mpg weren't affected, as far as I recall. Nevertheless you can re-set it yourself. If you select the average mpg readout and then press & hold the Navi Trip button down until the unit beeps, it will zero the reading & then start re-calcing the average mpg.

Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know. :thumbsup:

And don't forget that, to "reset to zero" the OBC readings (av.mpg, av.speed, instantaneous mpg) you need to display EACH in turn, and hold Navi down (until the beep) - i.e. three lots of zeroing, if you want to zero everything.

Chris

Thanks peeps, I wasnt aware of that although its a/ probably in the handbook and b/ I havent read it!!

Ill re-set it and see if there's any change. less then 22mpg is carp in the extreme!

I'm sure I heard on the news n ot long ago that a manufacturer has just been fined for their mpg claims. AA or RAC apparently say that the average motorist will struggle to get within 20% of manufacturer's claims. http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2013/02/hyundai-settles-lawsuits-over-false-mileage-claims/ This is an American case.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now tried the higher gear at lower speeds and I can definitely get an improvement. The torque of the diesel can easily cope with this style of driving, but i must admit it was quite boring and tedious. (exhaust blows a few raspberry's when accelerating though). I then tried on my last tank of fuel driving with faster set offs, and at higher revs then I normally would. Only a couple of mpg difference between the two styles of driving. From now I'll just enjoy and may even consider a chip, just need to see what the insurance increase would be.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links