Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New 4.4 Owner Has Some Questions

glorydad

I bought a 2.2D 6 spd Auto Invincible in May. I am so pleased with it and wonder why I hadn't taken the leap and bought an auto before. Being a part-time ski instructor I often drive in wintry conditions in the Alps and think this is a great car for the job.

My curiosity begs me to ask some questions as follows

I had a 2007 Avensis T180 before and this had a timing CHAIN, is this also the case for my RAV?

My auto, is it a torque converter type or a CVT? I have seen it being described as both in review videos.

Does my auto have DMF or a solid flywheel?

And finally what functionality should I expect with my Touch and Go (Nav) and my iPhone 4S?

Any reply to help satisfy my curiosity will be very welcome.

By the way everybody,,,,GREAT forum, enjoyed very much

GD

Aye, Andy.....timing chain so forget it, albeit oil must be clean. Other questions .......answers will follow. Tried driving in SPORT mode yet? Much nicer drive, but 6th must be selected manualfully. Enjoy yer new moatir, min.

What you mean by functionality....? Just play with it, then when it breaks, RTFMFFS !!!

Yup, sport is good, haven't seen much difference in fuel consumption yet. Still needs a lot more run in before meaningful figures can be calculated. I did comment on another thread about 6th in sport.

I have tried the manual but it refers to the Touch n Go compatibility page which doesn't work for me. I am all thumbs with computer thingys.

I like your accent LOL

A

Have you registered on the Toyota / T & G site.....?

Aye, I have

A

That accent is catching........ay Kev min?

Oops sorry (am not taking the p....) lived in Dundee when I was a kid (last century), grandfather was a Scot as well. :)

• Like 1

Auto is the traditional torque converter box not (thankfully) a CVT....

• Like 1

Great! :clap:

Does that mean solid flywheel? :yes:

A

A

No DMF on an automatic. The torque converter is sometimes described as a fluid flywheel (so, no solid flywheel) and they seldom, if ever, give trouble.

• Like 1

Good news on both counts. As I said before, why didn't I go auto earlier, especially from a driving view. :driving::clap:

Thanks for the answers everybody

A

A

No DMF on an automatic. The torque converter is sometimes described as a fluid flywheel (so, no solid flywheel) and they seldom, if ever, give trouble.

Great news x 2. I should have gone auto a lot earlier but better late than never.

Really enjoy the drive :driving::clap: and the wife really likes the RAV too, (she is doesn't drive but is one happy passenger)

Thanks for your responses, gents

A

If you google Toyota bluetooth compatibility this will get you to Toyota's tested phone information, select your car, nav set up and then phone and it will list what does and doesn't work

• Like 1

Not just any auto box but a very sophisticated electronically controlled box;

SECT.pdf

It isn't as smooth as a Merc' box but it will give BMW and Audi a run and outstrip them on features. For instance in manual mode it can fully lock up in gears and it can detect when it is going downhill so that it can completely shut off fuel to the injectors which improves economy. That is the only time you will feel any roughness (in gearchange) as there can be a slight judder at lower speed when it turns the fuel back on. Also in manual mode it will blip the throttle on downshifts to speed up changes (using the paddle shifts).

SECT elec.pdf

It is a massive box, easily able to cope with the torque of the 150 and and with all the electronic wizardry and paddle shifts I can see where the extra cost of the 150 auto goes. It makes you lazy but if you are out on an open road and can be bothered to play with the manual control it is great fun.

Was totally unaware of that fuel shut off thing..........does that mean, due to where you live, you only use fuel on the RETURN journey from work, if one can loosely call it "work" ?

Don't all modern cars shut off the injectors when under no load? Typically noticeable when the instanteous fuel computer readout shows 999mph or similar?

Don't all modern cars shut off the injectors when under no load? Typically noticeable when the instanteous fuel computer readout shows 999mph or similar?

If ah crash ma car today, it will be Hoovie's fault........" Sorry officer.....wisnae looking where ah was going......looking at ma OBD trying to get a reading of 999....."

Try touching the 999 button..........see what happens :lol:

Not noticed that on Funnerbird 2, Kev? I used to get that on my old RAV when I took the foot off the throttle when going down a hill, for example (sometimes managed to get many hundreds of MPG on the last few miles of returning home in Devon after going to Exeter due to all the hills)

But if you tried the "old school" approach of taking the car out of gear to coast down the hill, the fuel will still be being used (as the fuel comp would not be showing 999 but maybe 120/200 or whatever.

Interestingly, in my new motor, when the injectors cut out when no demand (or when braking) the system regains the wasted energy with its "mini-hybrid" system.

Yes but it relies on the box changing down on hills or overrun. Some cars coast to a stand in a high gear.

Got to go and see a doctor now about being traumatised by an unkind Scot.

Yes but it relies on the box changing down on hills or overrun. Some cars coast to a stand in a high gear.

Got to go and see a doctor now about being traumatised by an unkind Scot.

Can ah have yer winter wheels if it's bad news at the doc, min......?

• Like 1

Your comment re CVT boxes intrigues me and I have seen others disliking this type of box too. I am sure you are right but could you explain to an ignoramus like me what your thoughts (positive or negative) are about this type of auto.

A

Your comment re CVT boxes intrigues me and I have seen others disliking this type of box too. I am sure you are right but could you explain to an ignoramus like me what your thoughts (positive or negative) are about this type of auto.

A

I loved the conventional autobox in our previous 4.2 petrols and this new one is also excellent. Having said that however, I test drove a petrol XTR before going with the diesel and although it had a CVT box, it also went very well. In fact it was hard to tell that it was a CVT.

A

I loved the conventional autobox in our previous 4.2 petrols and this new one is also excellent. Having said that however, I test drove a petrol XTR before going with the diesel and although it had a CVT box, it also went very well. In fact it was hard to tell that it was a CVT.

As posted last year, travelled to Scumforpe to pick up 2004 Rav for a friend, now deceased (the car.....wroten off.....)

As Jimbob says, incredible auto box and way ahead of its 2004ness.........30k miles and very smooth.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links