Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery Woes

uniquestar

Hi All,

I've been away for a couple of weeks and left my Rav sitting on the driveway. I got back Thursday, jumped in the car 1st thing friday morning and it fired up no problem, drove to the local shop (1 mile) with no trouble at all. Can unlocked with the remote, however when I turned the key I got nothing at all. Tried jumping the car from a diesel A4, and I got the OSD but only 1 little tick from the engine.

AA man comes out and get it started off his portable booster, however when I tried to drive it (I got about 50ft) the steering kept going heavy & light, the engine stuttered a bit then I got a few warnings go through the dashboard and the car stalled. He tested a few bits and told me that although the Battery was giving out 12v it was only producing 2.5 amps, so I would need a new one.

AA guy towed me to a garage that replaced the Battery, however I think the one they put it was a bit smaller (030T, £85), however they insisted that it was the correct Battery for my car.

My questions are: Is this indeed the correct battery, and also, once the car was started should the Alternator not be able to keep the rest going, or do I need to get this looked at?

Thanks Guys.

Should be 80 AH and 800 CCA

An 030 Battery is 70 AH and only 570 CCA

If you ask me, it's not up to the job, fine for now maybe but not on a cold day stuck in the middle of nowhere with no phone signal :rolleyes:

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks Kingo, reckon I should ask them for a refund on the Battery, or to change it for one that suits?

Up to you, ask them to get the right one, if they don't play ball get a refund. Don't forget if you do that you will be batteryless :D:

Ha, I'm happy to buy and fit a Battery myself if they agree a refund beforehand!

Just looking online, a lot of people list an 030, but it's not right

The step up to an 80 AH Battery makes them a tad more expensive, a genuine one is 99 plus VAT, Euro car parts do a premium one for 98 or 114

Just looking online, a lot of people list an 030, but it's not right

The step up to an 80 AH battery makes them a tad more expensive, a genuine one is 99 plus VAT, Euro car parts do a premium one for 98 or 114

Personally i wouldn't take the risk Jon, dark nights a-coming and all, more engine cold starts, heated rear screen, headlights, heater and maybe even heated buttock warmers in constant use, I would fit a Battery with the right capacity.

Cheers, I've emailed them asking them to sort it out, if not I will demand a refund and get this one from euro car parts (£36 cheaper on eBay than their website!!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-S4-Car-Battery-Type-335-336-With-4-Year-Manufacturers-Warranty-/330855767034?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

• Like 1

Well, all sorted now. The garage told me that they couldn't supply any other Battery to me, however they were happy to do a full refund of all charges (Battery, fitting and disposal of old battery). I bought the Bosch from eBay, delivered within 24 hours and fitted by myself in 10 minutes (and an idiot co-worker who asked if everything was working AFTER I started the engine....) Took the old one back and got the refund. All working and happy! :clap:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links