Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis T3S Vvti 2003 Heavy Squeaky Clutch Pedal

Neil1975

Hi I've just bought a very low mileage toyota Avensis t3 vvti 2003

Only 35,000!miles on clock ;-) from a Mazda Dealer with a 12 month Warrantee.

I've only had it two weeks, and since driving it the clutch pedal is squeaky n rather heavy,?

Is this normal for such a low mileage car ?

Does anyone know where I stand with this ? Would dealer be responsible to fix this

Thank you

Neil

Hi I've just bought a very low mileage toyota Avensis t3 vvti 2003

Only 35,000!miles on clock ;-) from a Mazda Dealer with a 12 month Warrantee.

I've only had it two weeks, and since driving it the clutch pedal is squeaky n rather heavy,?

Is this normal for such a low mileage car ?

Does anyone know where I stand with this ? Would dealer be responsible to fix this

Thank you

Neil

It could be as simple as a pedal bush worn but the Avensis did suffer from a master and slave cylinder issue that caused noise just as you describe

The selling garage is responsible, but it depends when you bought it???

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

If I'm correct in saying that the clutch is cable operated and not hydraulic, then it could be the springs on the pressure plate getting stiff and old. It'll probably work just fine like this for years to come. You also say the car has very low miles, this could mean that, for example, it was driven a mile through stop/start traffic ten times every day of it's life...therefore having much more clutch action than a higher mileage car, and therefore more clutch wear.

It would be unusual for this "heavy" feeling to manifest after just a couple of weeks as the springs normally get a little stiffer over a long time, and there isn't really a way for a shoddy showroom to mask it or make the feeling go away for a few weeks until you've bought it. Maybe there's no harm speaking to the dealer but I reckon he'll do his best to wash his hands of the problem as you had ample time to try and test the car at your test drive, and the clutch actually works fine. Maybe another option would be to have a diagnosis done by Toyota or something, then present the original showroom with any evidence that it's not up to scratch.

Edit...Parts King above mentions cylinders, which would mean it's not cable operated. Therefore IMHO your problem probably lies with the hydraulic operation rather than stiff springs. The cylinders should take any heavy feeling out of the equation. Take it back and see what your dealer says, and follow that with a diagnosis by Toyota if necessary.

• Like 1

It could be as simple as a pedal bush worn but the Avensis did suffer from a master and slave cylinder issue that caused noise just as you describe

Hi Allan thank you for your time & help.

I purchased the car only a week ago on the 20th I've since spoken to dealer Mazda & they have booked the car in to have a look at it I shall be keeping you posted on the outcome, yeah car is low mileage for a 2003 at 35,000 miles clutch is half way up before it bites ??

Thank you for your help once again

Neil

If I'm correct in saying that the clutch is cable operated and not hydraulic, then it could be the springs on the pressure plate getting stiff and old. It'll probably work just fine like this for years to come. You also say the car has very low miles, this could mean that, for example, it was driven a mile through stop/start traffic ten times every day of it's life...therefore having much more clutch action than a higher mileage car, and therefore more clutch wear.

It would be unusual for this "heavy" feeling to manifest after just a couple of weeks as the springs normally get a little stiffer over a long time, and there isn't really a way for a shoddy showroom to mask it or make the feeling go away for a few weeks until you've bought it. Maybe there's no harm speaking to the dealer but I reckon he'll do his best to wash his hands of the problem as you had ample time to try and test the car at your test drive, and the clutch actually works fine. Maybe another option would be to have a diagnosis done by Toyota or something, then present the original showroom with any evidence that it's not up to scratch.

Edit...Parts King above mentions cylinders, which would mean it's not cable operated. Therefore IMHO your problem probably lies with the hydraulic operation rather than stiff springs. The cylinders should take any heavy feeling out of the equation. Take it back and see what your dealer says, and follow that with a diagnosis by Toyota if necessary.

Hi Allan thank you for your time & help.

I purchased the car only a week ago on the 20th I've since spoken to dealer Mazda & they have booked the car in to have a look at it I shall be keeping you posted on the outcome, yeah car is low mileage for a 2003 at 35,000 miles clutch is half way up before it bites ??

Hi Kingo, thank you for your time & help.

It will be hydraulic

Take it back, if the pedal is high the most likely cause is the clutch is worn, that is a different situation to the worn cylinder bores

• Like 1

It will be hydraulic

Take it back, if the pedal is high the most likely cause is the clutch is worn, that is a different situation to the worn cylinder bores

Hi Kingo. Thank you once again for your help ;-) much appreciated, it is booked into have it looked at this Thursday

I will keep you all updated about the outcome,

Neil

Hi Allan I just wanted to mention I didn't take car for test drive, because it was such low mileage car I took it for granted it would be ok?

It's now booked into have it looked at now thus Thursday I shall keep you all updated on the outcome.

Thank you gents

Neil

Hi Blackcts, thank you for your comment ;-) I only bought car on 20th, it comes with a 12 month Warrantee

So before things get worse I just think it's common sense to get it repaired, but yeah 10 years is good going I paid £3,000

For car.

Just don't want to be spending anymore on it & I sing for living so I'm going to need it to be reliable.

Lol that's why I bought a Toyota Avensis ;-)

Neil

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/120775-05-avensis-clutch-pedal-squeak-l700/

this link above will allow you to download the clutch repair manual to give you a better idea of how it works.

I had a very hard clutch at one point.

I have so far changed master cylinder slave cylinder and pin, bush, clip which has made my car more a please to drive.

Please report back how they fixed it would be nice to know.

• Like 1

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/120775-05-avensis-clutch-pedal-squeak-l700/

this link above will allow you to download the clutch repair manual to give you a better idea of how it works.

I had a very hard clutch at one point.

I have so far changed master cylinder slave cylinder and pin, bush, clip which has made my car more a please to drive.

Please report back how they fixed it would be nice to know.

Hi there ;-) thank you for the advice & link.

My car is booked in to have it looked at this Thursday so I will update soon as I know the outcome ;-)

Neil

Hi Gents, I just like to update you all on the outcome, Mazda had my car in this morning and just sprayed some wd40 on it!! :ermm:

when I was handed back the keys they said that they had greased the squeaking clutch pedal :disgust:

about the clutch it is up High but its not slipping so we wont be doing anything about that :doctor:

any problems fetch it back you have your Warrantee lol :euro:

If the clutch does go anyone have any idea how much to replace it ?

thank you Gents for all help and support :driving:

Neil

I'm confused. Don't hydraulic clutches self adjust and not end up with a high biting point? I thought high biting points were a cable thing.

• Like 1

Hi Gents, I just like to update you all on the outcome, Mazda had my car in this morning and just sprayed some wd40 on it!! :ermm:

when I was handed back the keys they said that they had greased the squeaking clutch pedal :disgust:

about the clutch it is up High but its not slipping so we wont be doing anything about that :doctor:

any problems fetch it back you have your Warrantee lol :euro:

If the clutch does go anyone have any idea how much to replace it ?

thank you Gents for all help and support :driving:

Neil

has it gone softer too? that squeak will be back if they have just sprayed wd40 on it.

• Like 1

Hi the clutch is up pretty high & the Mazda dealer where I bought it from said it's not slipping, so there is nothing we can do??

When I got back in car I could smell Wd40 strongly.

When I was handed back my keys I was told they had greased it up, well I know grease don't smell like Wd40,

The clutch is up quite high they admit this, but they said nothing they can do as it's not slipping & still functioning.

Frustrating really to be honest, clutch pedal as stopped squeaking for now, who knows for how long??

I'm confused. Don't hydraulic clutches self adjust and not end up with a high biting point? I thought high biting points were a cable thing.

Hi Druid Boy, I'm confused to now, as to if my car has a Hydraulic clutch or cable it's 2003 Vvti t3s

Thank you for your advice, anyone know if my clutch is cable or hydraulic operated ?

Neil

Euro car parts are listing hydraulic kits for 2003 petrol Avensis so it looks like it hydraulic. I used silicon lubricant spray on my clutch pedal when it was noisy - the stuff you use to lubricate window runners. It shut it up and kept it shut up.

• Like 2

so has it gone lighter/softer or not? as your thread mentions 'heavy'

it will be hydraulic as mentioned also by kingo!

Hi there it's not right still feels hard to engage or fully depress clutch, after driving just 20 mins in car stopping & starting my leg starting to ache. The squeak as gone for now though, which is a good thing ;-)

Any idea where I stand on this with the dealer ? I'm not happy that they say it's not slipping so they won't be changing it etc ?

Where do I legally stand with this as I've only had car two weeks tomorrow ?

Neil

Dunno really. I guess it depends on what your warranty terms are and probably also depends on prooving a fault with the car. Maybe consult a Toyota dealer and while you are at it get them to see if they have any records on the car. They may be able to confirm the mileage as well because its really low for a 10 year old car. If your mileage is wrong then you may have some recourse on the grounds that they have mis-sold the car.

This is speculation on my part though. You probably need professional advice here - but that costs.

Hi Druid Boy ;-) thank you for your advice I really appreciate it, I will give Mr T a ring tomorrow & see if they have any details on the car history, you may have a valuable point there ;-)

It is very low mileage yeah I agree, I shall see what Toyota Cardiff have to say on this,

How long is a clutch supposed to last by way ? Would Toyota cover clutch at such low miles ?

Neil

I don't think anything is wrong with the car tbh, the clutch isn't slipping and the biting point is about half way - there has to be a degree of wear due to the age of the car - drive away and worry not - I would be more worried about the oil level on a pre facelift 1.8 VVTi

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links