Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

First Service- Garage Uses 5W 30- Should I Try To Get 0W 20?

Nicolai

Car is in Denmark. Touring Sports Hybrid. MY 2013.

15,002 km on the clock.

Will the 0 w 20 giver better economy?

0W-20 is the preferred oil for hybrids, but 5W-30 is also an option (though not Toyota's preference) - see http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/148360-engine-oil/

However, under Block Exemption Toyota cannot insist on a particular grade of oil being used. 0W-20 will give slightly better economy and will provide easier engine starting during cold weather, etc.

Ask for 0W-20 to be used.

Car is DUE for service. Oil hasn't been changed yet. Is the make of oil of importance or just the 0w20 "specification"?

I did read the oil thread.

As long as the oil meets or exceeds Toyota's specification, that's fine.

Car is DUE for service. Oil hasn't been changed yet. Is the make of oil of importance or just the 0w20 "specification"?

I did read the oil thread.

Make of oil is not important as long as you stick to a reputable brand, but make sure it is fully synthetic.

My Spanish garage states on the service booking webpage: "*Este mantenimiento está calculado con aceite sintético 5W30 PFE (Premium Fuel Economy).", i.e., if you insist on 0W20 you'll pay extra

• Sad 1

My Spanish garage states on the service booking webpage: "*Este mantenimiento está calculado con aceite sintético 5W30 PFE (Premium Fuel Economy).", i.e., if you insist on 0W20 you'll pay extra

Pay the extra or go elsewhere. Its your money and you're free to spend it as you wish.

• Like 1

I think it would make very little difference in Spain whether you used 5w 30 or 0w 20, however, in the colder Northern European countries, you should use the 0w 20 for better cold starting and MPG

• Like 1

Car is booked for Wednesday. 0 w 20 it is. :P

I think it would make very little difference in Spain whether you used 5w 30 or 0w 20, however, in the colder Northern European countries, you should use the 0w 20 for better cold starting and MPG

It does get cold up mountains and I believe they have mountains, possibly much higher and more numerous than the little mounds that we like to call mountains in this country ;-)

I won't mention that heated door mirrors were standard on the Gen 2 Prius in Spain, Oops!

If you're referring to Denmark, I'd probably compare it to the Netherlands. Not quite as flat / low but close. No mountains at all, however, we do have some hills.

If you're referring to Denmark, I'd probably compare it to the Netherlands. Not quite as flat / low but close. No mountains at all, however, we do have some hills.

Nope, my comment was about Spain and the UK, sorry for the confusion:)

If you get close to freezing in Denmark, and make short trips then you do want 0w-20.

Nope, my comment was about Spain and the UK, sorry for the confusion:)

If you get close to freezing in Denmark, and make short trips then you do want 0w-20.

Freezing happens often in the winter and as my car is for disabled driver, it does a lot of short runs.

Car is in Denmark. Touring Sports Hybrid. MY 2013.

15,002 km on the clock.

Will the 0 w 20 giver better economy?

Yes

• Like 1

Does anyone have the check lists for the individual services?

They should be in your Service and Warranty book.

However, if you visit the following page - http://www.toyota.co.uk/service-and-maintenance/car-servicing

scroll down to 'compare servicing info' and click on the 'download pdf' button, the subsequent download will show what is covered in each level of service (intermediate, full, full+).

The 30 in 5w30 is the hot temp viscosity so when the engine is hot the 5w30 oil will be less economical than the 0w20. Also the 5w or cold viscosity in the 5w30 oil means the car will be less economical during warm up, so even though the ambient temperature may be higher in Spain, the 0w20 is still going to be more economical than the 5w30.

On the other hand, is the extra cost of the 0w20 oil going to be recuperated in mpg savings ?

On the other hand, is the extra cost of the 0w20 oil going to be recuperated in mpg savings ?

Assuming the price difference between 0w20 and 5w30 will get you 25 litres of fuel.

And assuming you average 55mpg using 0w20 oil.

Then for 10,000 miles, you will use about 827 litres of fuel.

So if you switch to 5w30 you can buy another 25 litres before you start to run at a loss.

852 litres to travel 10,000 miles = 53mpg

So if you switch to 5w30 to save money on oil, you would hope that there is a minimal drop in mpg (less than 3.5%) otherwise you will spend more in fuel than you saved on the oil.

I seem to recall that when GC's prius had 5w30 in it, the drop in mpg was instantly noticeable.

You don't buy £20 remould tyres for a Ferrari and nor do you put 5w30 oil in your Prius unless you live in the Australian desert.

Why buy a car capable of 70 mpg and then use thicker oil so that it only gets 55 mph? Why not just buy an Avensis petrol and save £7,000 on the new purchase price and put that towards the extra fuel costs?

• Like 2

You don't buy £20 remould tyres for a Ferrari and nor do you put 5w30 oil in your Prius unless you live in the Australian desert.

Why buy a car capable of 70 mpg and then use thicker oil so that it only gets 55 mph? Why not just buy an Avensis petrol and save £7,000 on the new purchase price and put that towards the extra fuel costs?

I see where your coming from GC but I wouldn't think ferrari recommend £20 remoulds in the handbook whereas a 5W30 oil is on the list of recommended oil grades in the Prius handbook.

70 mpg, although possible in certain circumstances, is not the real world, normal driving mpg of the Prius.

But, ignoring the other advantages of 0w20 oil, except economy, the point I was making was that if someone does low miles but changes the oil based on time rather than miles (at least once a year) then they are probably not going to recoup the extra oil cost from mpg alone.

Of course there are other advantages of using 0w20 like easier cold starts, smoother transition from petrol to electric, quicker oil circulation from cold etc. These are the reasons I only use 0w20 myself.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Our Yaris hybrid was recently serviced and we noticed a significant drop in fuel economy. When I looked at the service document I saw that the dealer had used 5W30 oil instead of 0W20.

I can't believe after all this time this is still happening... great cars, shame about the servicing :-( I feel my next car is not going to be a Toyota at this rate.

Our Yaris hybrid was recently serviced and we noticed a significant drop in fuel economy. When I looked at the service document I saw that the dealer had used 5W30 oil instead of 0W20. I can't believe after all this time this is still happening... great cars, shame about the servicing :-( I feel my next car is not going to be a Toyota at this rate.

Take it back and get them to sort it. If it was on the fixed price servicing they should have used the 0w20, its even been used correctly in our 2014 1.33 Yaris at our dealership. Theres no excuse really.

Yes it was fixed price servicing and they have agreed to sort it, although they claim it was ok as it was. I guess they rely on people not checking!

The first post of the following thread highlights the fact that under Block Exemption a vehicle manufacturer cannot insist that a certain oil is used: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/148360-engine-oil/

The dealer has used a suitable oil (5W-30), but not Toyota's preferred oil (0W-20).

I always inform the dealer of my preference when I book the car in, and visually make sure my request is written down on service sheet when dropping the car off. Doesn't guarantee against a half-asleep techie of course, but at least it's evidence should it be needed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links