Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hids

zigman

Hi guys, I have bought an HID out for my auris twice now (cheap £20 kits from ebay) and both times one or both of the lights flicker slightly, are different colours and don't last more than 6 months.

I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a good quality set that will work properly?

Thanks

I will dig up the ones I bought off eBay and send you a link for them I have had mine for some time now and they have a 1 yr guarentee as well they cost about £60

This is the eBay item number

281198105896 it says corolla verso but its the same bulb type as the Auris and they are now 45 quid

IS it possible to post up some before and after pics? HIDs are bright white, yes?

I find the stock 2014 headlights woeful at best, I'd be better off holding a birthday candle in front of the bonnet to be honest! :(

Cheers! Red!

I bought my kit from here. http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/h11-35w-slim-canbus-hid-xenon-conversion-kit/

They do sell on eBay also. And yes they are bright white as long as you select 5000k for your bulb colour temperature . If you want white with a hint of blue then select 6000k.

H11 bulb types are used on my 2007 Auris, do check the correct bulb type before ordering.....

Sent from my iPad using Toyota OC

I find the stock 2014 headlights woeful at best, I'd be better off holding a birthday candle in front of the bonnet to be honest! :(

Cheers! Red!

The current Auris uses a different bulb fitment to the first generation. The first generation used H11 bulbs, whereas the second generation uses HIR2 bulbs. Not sure anyone makes HID kits to replace HIR2 bulbs as yet. Halogen upgrade bulbs are also unavailable for HIR2 bulbs.

An alternative could be as per posts 24 and 26 of the following topic: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/101231-toyota-iq-headlights/

• Like 1

IS it possible to post up some before and after pics? HIDs are bright white, yes?

Cheers! Red!

Glow worms in jam jars work far better than candles,anything is better than what they laughingly call headlights.

My last car had HIDS,when I first turned them on WOW I thought it was daylight.

• Like 1

Cheers! Red!

Glow worms in jam jars work far better than candles,anything is better than what they laughingly call headlights.

My last car had HIDS,when I first turned them on WOW I thought it was daylight.

After pics definitely easy to get however before pics will be hard to do maybe take a pic of yours up before if you are on halogens and I will get some of mine with hid fitted

The bulb for the new auris isnt that bad, but i've read a lot of people are complaining about it when driving on dark country road. But toyota has always given a firm response that they've complied with the uk regulation and done some testing and research. But for us its not good enough. I have tried and driven it on a dark country road and i can say its not that bright. I have tried using osram unlimited 9006 as an alternative and find it more brighter than the hir2 and gives a whiter light. Also tempted to get an aftermarket hid but due to legality sake i better keep out of it .

• Like 1

I drive a lot in Cornwall and even the h11 bulb was never bright enough even if your night vision wasn't too bad but the hids are like night and day I see all the little bumps and grooves in the road but they do prove to be a pain in fog

There's been numerous complaints about the poor dipped beam lighting from the Toyota headlamps which elicits Toyotas' form response about them meeting all the regulations. One person has looked up the current UK lighting regulations and found there are no stipulated requirements for angles of visibility or the size of the illuminated area.

So Toyotas' form reply is perhaps a little disingenuous, no doubt their claims are true but they do not address customer concerns.

The bulb for the new auris isnt that bad, but i've read a lot of people are complaining about it when driving on dark country road. But toyota has always given a firm response that they've complied with the uk regulation and done some testing and research. But for us its not good enough. I have tried and driven it on a dark country road and i can say its not that bright. I have tried using osram unlimited 9006 as an alternative and find it more brighter than the hir2 and gives a whiter light. Also tempted to get an aftermarket hid but due to legality sake i better keep out of it .

I don't think they are actually illegal. As long as you have a projectile lens (which the auris does) and have the right angle you should be fine. I certainly didn't get told otherwise during my MOT. I would suggest not going above 8000k though as the police might class them as "blue". Got told to change my blue sidelights, no explanation why so going to change it a little as I never actually got stopped for them :-P

I know coloured lights aren't allowed (illegal ) from MOT regs and old bill pulling me over in my first car ....

Your supposed to replace lights for manufactures specification bulbs so yes it's the same type but not the same colour and that's where the police will get you , you can get away with white led these days because of hid set ups that you get as factory in some cars so police won't pull something that looks to be from factory hence why projector lenses are mandatory for hid in vehicles ... The amour of morons who the police pull in golfs and cars alike that don't have projector lenses in seen a lot from car meets and stuff nd police sit outside literally waving them over .... I also know most mot testers will turn a blind eye to coloured sidelights bit not so much to shoddy hid fits as if you get pulled over you can just say "the mot tester didn't pick it up so I presumed they are fine " then the mot tester could loose his liscence so a lot of stuff on cars is sort of ignored because of this grey area

And the reason 8000k is a police puller is because it's a bit too close to there colour and they don't like it

I have spoke to a few coppers when they come in the garage

'Visible lumens' is the measure for how bright a bulb is, and the colour temperature is how white or blue/white the light appears to the human eye. The higher the colour temperature, the darker the colour will appear, and fewer visible lumens are produced. For example HID bulbs rated at 4300K produce the highest number of visible lumens, 5000K bulbs produce about 5% fewer visible lumens, 6000K bulbs produce about 12% fewer visible lumens, and 8000K bulbs produce about 20% fewer visible lumens.

For comparison purposes -

A standard OE halogen hulb produces around 1000 visible lumens.

HIR2 bulbs produce around 1750 visible lumens - upgrade HIR2 bulbs aren't available (I've confirmed this with Osram who began producing HIR2 bulbs earlier this year).

An upgrade bulb like the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited produces around 2100 visible lumens.

The Philips X-treme +130% produces around 2300 visible lumens.

An 8000K HID bulb produces around 2550 visible lumens.

A 4300K HID bulb produces around 3200 visible lumens.

I've looked at the Toyota UK Blog as regards people complaining about the performance of the Auris headlights, and trawled through from the launch date of the Auris (December 2012) through to October 2014, and although there have been numerous complaints, they originate from around 7 owners - some of whom have repeatedly posted.

Complaints on Toyota Owners Club forums mainly concentrate on the performance of the HIR2 bulbs - and these complaints are across the IQ, Auris and Yaris forums. I believe the new Aygo may use HIR2 bulbs as well now.

• Like 1

Hi all how can you find out if you have hid's did toyota fit them as standard to any cars like my 2012 Auris as my head lights seem pretty good but if I could upgrade to some thing better I would as you can never have to good a lights

Frosty, as you probably noticed I am one of those who complained about the headlights on the Toyota board. Not too difficult to figure out since I post under "Tom" - I'm not one who posts under a variety of names.

The headlights are obviously an issue although my guess is that there's comparatively little night time driving on unlit roads. It's also quite likely there's few women drivers involved otherwise the level of complaints would be higher.

What is of concern is not the number of people who have complained but Toyotas' intransigent attitude, given that they have previous for this. Initially there were very few people who complained about the sticking accelerator problem too. Were this a more litigious society (which thankfully it's not) Toyota might find itself the subject of a class action lawsuit.

As you can see a hid upgrade has worked wonders these pictures where taken on a very well lit street as well

post-130759-141794845339_thumb.jpg

post-130759-141794846473_thumb.jpg

post-130759-141794848591_thumb.jpg

post-130759-141794849703_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My HID kit is flickering a little and one of the bulbs is going slightly purple. This has been the case with 2 kits now. Is this a fault with the car or the hids as they were only cheap ones from eBay.

Chances are it's cheap hid kits (no offence) if your car had no issues before and does with kit ... It could be the bulbs or ballast tho I had a can bus HID kit and the can bus part went

What is of concern is not the number of people who have complained but Toyotas' intransigent attitude, given that they have previous for this. Initially there were very few people who complained about the sticking accelerator problem too. Were this a more litigious society (which thankfully it's not) Toyota might find itself the subject of a class action lawsuit.

Whilst not wishing to defend or favour Toyota's approach to complaints, I think it depends mainly on the volume of complaints that any manufacturer receives before action is taken.

To a degree the same scenario applies if one reports a suspected safety problem through the DVSA (formerly VOSA) channels. Unless DVSA receive a certain volume of complaints, the matter doesn't get fully investigated with the manufacturer, and safety recall action doesn't take place. An example of this was the Toyota IQ EGR valve issues - see posts 48 and 49 of http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/147454-egr-problem/page-5

At the time of the accelerator pedal issue, I doubt whether most owners would have noticed any problem. I had a 59 reg Auris at the time and didn't notice any issue with the pedal. My Auris was one of the vehicles affected and did have accelerator pedal fix done by the supplying dealer (a shim fitted to take up play in the mechanism).

Hi all how can you find out if you have hid's did toyota fit them as standard to any cars like my 2012 Auris as my head lights seem pretty good but if I could upgrade to some thing better I would as you can never have to good a lights

Certainly with the first generation Auris (post facelift 2010-2012 models), halogen bulbs were fitted as OE across the range in the UK.

A relatively cheap upgrade if one didn't wish to go the HID route, are upgrade bulbs like Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited +110%, Ring xenon Ultima +120%, Halfords Extreme Brilliance, etc. The Ring and Halfords bulbs are both made by the same manufacturer - Alite - so if one is looking to buy from these brands, check whichever is cheaper, as they're the same bulbs.

See http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/76760/car-bulbs-2014-halogen-headlight-bulb-reviews

Before buying any upgrade halogen bulbs, compare Amazon's prices with the prices of other companies, as, in the past, Amazon have tended to be cheaper.

But has anybody put any aftermarket hids on new mk2 auris?

Just fitted hid on icon plus hybrid, its really a big improvement over stock and matches led drl. This should have been fitted as standard Toyota!!!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links