Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Map Of Europe

@colin__walker

i imagine that TomTom mapping goes direct to Tomtom updates.

Ours possibly goes mapping supplier (Navteq/HERE)> oem hardware manufacturer (harman?)>Toyota. Not sure if the date of the file refers to when Toyota got it, when the mapping supplier supplied the data or what. Whatever, it's at least 3 1/2 months old. Toyota's FAQ say that data compilation & test validation takes 9 to 12 months (didn't help them with at least 1 release that had to be withdrawn).

My car is at the dealers. It seems the sales team are dealing with the Sat/Nav fault. They have just phoned me to say that they have used their their Toyota update stick and it it still failed. They may attempt to install the previous maps but he says it takes ages to do it and it may be faster to change the whole Sat/Nav. I told them to keep the car till the problem is sorted. I emphasised I would like it all done under warranty and I was told that they thought it would be done under warranty. He said the Map download I did may have been corrupt!!!!!

That really ought not to be possible Chris, well at least not without knowing anyway because each individual file inside the archive has its own .md5 checksum file alongside it. This means that when you unpack the archive onto a USB stick, if there is any corruption, it should be flagged up straight away by the application during the unpacking process.

I had this exact problem last week when I was trying to get a successful set of new maps and it actually took me three full download attempts before I got a full archive that unpacked without error! Kept failing randomly on different map segments. First it was Sweden then it was Ukraine of all places...

Personally, I feel that it's Toyota's servers and their network connection that has issues. I have a fibre connection running at 30+Mbps 99% of the time for most download transactions but when I was downloading maps, I very rarely got much more than a 10 Mbps speed with constant interruptions to the stream. The first time I got an interruption free download was the first time I got an error free unpack of the maps onto my USB stick which actually then successfully updated my maps.

• Like 1

"I imagine that TomTom mapping goes direct to Tomtom updates."

We had a couple of new motorways open in April in NW Spain (A54 and A66) and they were both included in the mid-May TomTom quarterly update - but didn't appear in the Garmin /HERE May update

Further to my map update problems. Dealer just phoned: Good news and BAD NEWS. Good news the Sat/Nav is working again on the car but with the old map version. They cannot get the new map version to load using the dealer update USB stick or my USB stick. They asked if I wanted the car back but I explained I am retired and I would prefer it if they kept the car until this problem is sorted out and I have an updated Sat/Nav. The dealer again stated that they thought the download from Toyota was corrupt. I pointed out that many on this forum had downloaded and installed the new version. I also pointed out what CPN said about the checksum file. I did suggest that Toyota UK may have details of the problem.!!!

I have just had another call from the dealer and it is now suggested that there could have been a map version update between the one on my car and the new latest map version update. If there was I never installed it.This could be a reason why the new version is not loading. I must say the chap at the dealers is being most helpful and he wants to resolve the problem as much as I want to.

Going by European forums there was in Europe but it was withdrawn as it had problems - don't think that it was ever released in the UK.

It shouldn't matter anyway as afaik you don't need to go through every update but can skip. Others seem to have been able to

That's true. I skipped over a version to get to the one I am on now actually. The version I am on now is the first one where you can choose to install partial maps also. (but only from a valid full download of course)

Latest news on my T& G Sat/nav. The dealer has got it wotking on an early version but they cannot update to the latest map version because it wil not allow them to skip versions. They tell me the firmware is corrupt in the Sat /Nav. and suggested it was the download that I did that caused the problem. They stated that this problem has never has been reported previously??? ( I have found two occurrances on the internet where this has happened in the past!!). I have stated I do not want the car back with a very early map version on the T & G. They are trying to sort it but not having much success.

Thank goodness I am a Toyota owner.

Late this afternoon the local dealer service manager rang me. He said they cannot find the reason why the Sat/Nav on our car failed. They have carried out all the analysis and come to the conclusion that the only course of action is to change the SAT/NAV. The new unit will be in tomoprrow and they will return the car to me once the unit is fitted and the latest map version installed. The work will all be done under warranty. I cannot praise the service manager enough. I have always praised the local dealership for the service I have always received. I highly recommend the local dealer. Thanks to all the forum membars who have replied to my problem; it is good that it should all be sorted out. The service manager did say to get them to install any new future map updates; that it is what I shall do I never want to have this problem again.

• Like 3

Very glad to hear that it has been sorted.

• 2 weeks later...

CPN said: I've also just updated mine to 4.4.1L and he omitted to mention that that £109 =ALSO= buys you a lifetime subscription so, given that the TomTom is not fitted and blended in to the interior, personally I don't call a £14 difference "look like a bargain"...

I must admit, I didn't see anything about lifetime updates. That would be nice if it is true. Do you have a link with the details?

I didn't use the word "updates" but subscription instead (which is what your money buys...

However, I raised this issue (word usage) with Toyota GB and got this in reply...

"I understand that you had a query relating to wording surrounding map subscriptions. Our expert in our Service Technical department has suggested that the subscription refers to the map version which is currently in your car and that the subscription to this particular map version does not run out. There is a payment for new updates though."

To which I replied...

"Thanks for the clarification but I would then question the use of the word "subscription" in that scenario which implies something that is "ongoing" when really it is just a one time purchase."

and they replied...

"I don't disagree with your comments regarding the wording and this has been noted and forwarded to those responsible for such matters."

:sneaky2:

• Like 1

I didn't use the word "updates" but subscription instead (which is what your money buys...

However, I raised this issue (word usage) with Toyota GB and got this in reply...

"I understand that you had a query relating to wording surrounding map subscriptions. Our expert in our Service Technical department has suggested that the subscription refers to the map version which is currently in your car and that the subscription to this particular map version does not run out. There is a payment for new updates though."

To which I replied...

"Thanks for the clarification but I would then question the use of the word "subscription" in that scenario which implies something that is "ongoing" when really it is just a one time purchase."

and they replied...

"I don't disagree with your comments regarding the wording and this has been noted and forwarded to those responsible for such matters."

:sneaky2:

That's much appreciated. Thank you for your reply. That makes it clear. Shame though :sneaky2:

With regard to the Toyota touch & go sat/nav. using the latest map update I drove to Hemel Hempstead and the Sat/Nav was confused at the multiple mini roundabout system where you can drive round it either way. (It is known as "The Magic Roundabout".).

There is a similar system in Swindon. I note that several members use a Tom Tom Sat Nav. Does the Tom Tom Sat /Nav fail to recognise mutiple roundabout systems?

...my Touch & Go+ no longer shows SMS texts received...

update - during a 250 mile round trip today, I found that new texts received whilst the phone is paired to the car DO show up on the T&G+ and can be read aloud by the Nav Lady.

It's just all messages received whilst not paired, and all sent messages do not appear on the T&G+ screens - disappointing, but I can live with that.

Also disappointing, I couldn't find a single improvement after the very painful download - anyone else noticed any changes?

I really thought the Elveden bypass on the A11 near Thetford that opened last year should have been on it - if TomTom can do it...

Further to this, I've now found that old messages don't get deleted from the T&G+ after they are deleted from the phone, so in time the number of messages in the car will grow and grow. Just hope it doesn't cause problems.

As an aside, I downloaded another free map update for my TomTom Go 6000 last night and was happy to see a new local road that opened earlier this year was on it.

I still haven't found a single plus from the painful update of my Toyota system.

update - during a 250 mile round trip today, I found that new texts received whilst the phone is paired to the car DO show up on the T&G+ and can be read aloud by the Nav Lady.

It's just all messages received whilst not paired, and all sent messages do not appear on the T&G+ screens - disappointing, but I can live with that.

Also disappointing, I couldn't find a single improvement after the very painful download - anyone else noticed any changes?

I really thought the Elveden bypass on the A11 near Thetford that opened last year should have been on it - if TomTom can do it...

Further to this, I've now found that old messages don't get deleted from the T&G+ after they are deleted from the phone, so in time the number of messages in the car will grow and grow. Just hope it doesn't cause problems.

As an aside, I downloaded another free map update for my TomTom Go 6000 last night and was happy to see a new local road that opened earlier this year was on it.

I still haven't found a single plus from the painful update of my Toyota system.

Well, Toyota Touch&Go is real crap...and they charge £109 for maps,that are just released but are from Q2 2014

No wonder so many new road changes are missing. Just had a trip to Germany and T&G satnav was nothing but pain in the ****...bought TomTom and drove back without any problems. Contacted CS and they send me voucher for free map update,valid for 2 years,but whats the point of update when maps are 1.5 years old on latest release....

2ufbqsp.png

• 4 weeks later...

and another update - over the last couple of weeks texts suddenly started working normally again - sent and received text sync ok, texts deleted on the phone are removed from the T&G+.

Quite what caused this I cannot fathom - I certainly haven't updated the car again in the meantime, maybe an automatic update to the Android software on my mobile phone had an effect...

• 4 weeks later...

Folks,

I bought my Auris Hybrid Excel in Sept 2014. I thought I was entitled to free Map Updates during the first year. Probably mistaken! I will ask my dealer tomorrow.

I note the latest version is 4.4.1L.

Can you confirm the £109 price is for 'lifetime'?

Cheers

Folks,

I bought my Auris Hybrid Excel in Sept 2014. I thought I was entitled to free Map Updates during the first year. Probably mistaken! I will ask my dealer tomorrow.

I note the latest version is 4.4.1L.

Can you confirm the £109 price is for 'lifetime'?

Cheers

Not a lifetime,no...just for one update.

Well technically it is lifetime, but only of the version you buy and not any later version updates. It's a licence to the version that you buy basically.

My 2012 Prius was 6 months old when I got it and I got the balance of 3 years' free updates. Do other models not get this?

In fact the last one was after the 3 years was up but it still let me download it, maybe because the map was dated within the 3 years.

I wish I hadn't bothered, it hasn't improved anything that I can see - same speed limit errors, 2 recent new local roads not on it (but are on TomTom's update).

If I'd bought the car new the SatNav would have cost me £1,000 extra - criminal for what you get, especially as the screen and audio hardware is already in the car!

I'd never bother with Toyota SatNav again if buying new - having seen how many light years ahead the latest £300 TomTom is (which I got on a 30% off deal for £200 at Staples), with lifetime quarterly map updates, lifetime free mobile network traffic data (Europe wide - including mobile network download). It's magnetic powered mount is so convenient it's really no hassle to fit and remove - even switches itself on and off accordingly.

Recently this high quality traffic data has been a godsend steering me around traffic in West London, and cancelling a major detour near Norwich (having cleared up during my journey) which the Toyota SatNav would still have taken.

I find the speed at which the map companies update the base maps with changes varies a lot. There is added delay getting the base map data to the satnav company (like Garmin, TomTom) who can then hold the update until the next scheduled release date.

I used to submit changes to Navteq via their website but they would take at least a year to be accepted. :(

I am currently using an open source navigation package which uses openstreetmap data and frequent updates (monthly at worst). Not only do new roads, speed limits, etc arrive on the satnav after a few weeks, I can also submit new roads etc. to openstreetmap.

We have just had some new houses built locally with a new road. It is already showing on my satnav.

We had two new motorways open in NW Spain in April - both shown on TomTom May update (they've just released the August update) - no sign of them on Garmin/NavTeq/HERE/BMW, etc. (or whatever they're called this week) May update

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links