Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

127 Bhp 1zz-fe /143 Bhp 1zz-fe

fastbob72

Hi folks, have been contemplating for months now stripping out the pistons of my 1ZZ-FE. and modifying them i.e extra and enlarged oil drain holes (if the pistons are in good enough shape to reuse that is) then rebuilding with new higher tensions rings,cylinder bores hones, oil galleries cleaned thoroughly and opened up etc, etc.

The engines now just clocked 95,000 and isn't using oil drastically... for a vvti that is...but I'd rather do it now then leave it until it's going through oil faster than petrol.

l've rebuilt a fair few motors and completely built modified and rally engines so the prospect isn't in the least daunting,in fact I'm rather looking forward to it [emoji12] [emoji3].

Will take a week off work,take off the head, remove the sump and tap the pistons from below with a wooden block up till they come out the top of the block thereby avoiding removing the engine entirely or cracking the engine/trans.

Anyway,have bought in a full head set, gaskets etc, etc in advance and came across a reasonable head on eBay so I bought that with the full intent of stripping out the valves, thoroughly cleaning it before doing a litltle headwork reshaping and blending the throats and ports etc.

Anyway this huge preamble has been leading up to my question that I hope someone has a little more in depth/technical knowledge of than I do.

As the price was, like I said, reasonable I bought the head from the 143 bhp 1ZZ-FE from the Celica assuming the actual head itself, it's dimensions, the waterways,oilways etc are all an exact match for the 127 bhp but thinking about it I don't actually know if they are the same.

What is the difference between the two, where does the extra 15 bhp or so come from. Is it down to a mechanical difference, a different cam, valve size or all down to the ecu???

Anybody have any pointers???

If the head is incompatible with my engine then it's no big deal cos I'll strip the head as planned, do all the work I intend to it but resell it for twice the price instead.

All the same I'd rather use it and give myself several weeks to work on it before stripping the motor in my car :)

• Like 1

The head gasket part number is the same for both according to the following: -

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2002/celica/zzt230l-blmsha/3_252480_001_/tool-engine-fuel/1104_cylinder-head

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2001/avensis/zzt221r-almekw/3_273540_107_/tool-engine-fuel/1104_cylinder-head

I am not an expert but if you get a head gasket kit for either, they should be the same. I Googled two separate searches, and compared the pictures and the gaskets have the same pattern. If you call car spares shop they may confirm the correct gasket kit.

My logic is the power different is set by the cam profiles, exhaust, vvti and the ECU.

• Like 1

Well that's what I figured it'd be mechanical identical but the extra bhp would come from cam profile or most likely the ECU but it'd be good to actually be sure lol

Don't accidentally swap the ECU for the Celica version. You might get an unexpected power increase! :naughty:

There was a member about a couple of years ago, who replaced the gear box with a Celica 6 speed. He reported that the top gear ratios are roughly the same, as the gears are close ratio. He sold the car shortly afterwards to a happy punter.

• Like 1

Oh don't mention gearboxes, I've finally tracked down the noise and vibration that's been eluding me for weeks......... worn bearings within the differential..... discovered it yesterday when i had it up on stands and turning the driveshaft by hand..... it also feels like the driveshaft was removed at sometime and was replaced without the circlip in the splined end which fits into the gearbox. I can physically move the shaft back n forthat least half an inch maybe an inch but it's when rotating it there's a sound like worn and loose roller bearings coming from within the diff casing.

Of course I had to drive 170 miles today for a course for work.

Now that I know where the issue is and the likely cause the sound has been gone from being plain irritating to a crisis waiting to happen but she made it with no dramas...... just has to do it again tomorrow to get back home lol.

On the plus side my avg mpg is not sitting at 44 - a significant leap from 39.......the power of 110 miles of average speed cameras works wonders lol

Fastbob, here is the post regarding the gearbox swap out of interest - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/159372-2003-avensis-t3-s-vvti-18-gearbox-help/

From what I understand, the different bearings and seals may be renewed. If that is true then it would save a complete rebuild mine had.

Have you seen the Peter Finn videos on youtube?

He has done a lot of repairs on Toyotas with videos covering a lot of subjects.

• Like 1

Alright Konrad thanks for that.I'm certainly hoping they can be replaced because a complete rebuild sounds expensive.... in that case maybe a reconditioned box may be a cost effective alternative, to be honest I've not had the chance to really look in to all the options but replacing the bearings seems to be possible from what little I have looked into it so far, here's hoping :)

Aye Peter Finn,I like that guy he's got a lot of good stuff on his youtube site.... love the accent too once you get used to it

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links