Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Would This Work ?

Jimlad

Myslef and Bibbs were talking on MSN.

Some insurance companys work out your premium by determining how much % power increase your car is over stock.

So...

Could you get a big sodding turbo, an AVC-R. Then set it to 12PSI, and tell the insurance company that your mods only give you a 10% increase in power.

But obviously you can up the boost via the AVC-R whenever you want to.

any thoughts on this ?

( might come in handy for my big turbo plans )

what if you write it off, and they found out it set higher...

they wouldnt pay it out, and you cant adjust it becuase you are half dead...?

just say you must have knocked the dial while being flung about the car ??

Unless you were nearly dead, you could always knock it back to 12psi.

Unless you were nearly dead, you could always knock it back to 12psi.

in-car Adjustable boost n all that :thumbsup:

would it work tho ?... mmm... curious !

I know tesco ask for how much power increase the over stock the car is.

hmm could work - say it got adjusted when you flipped or whatever - i could see that being belivable - depednding on where adjustment is

when I phone about renewals etc, I'll test this out with tesco.

They don't seem to know too much about cars, so as long as I say only 10% over stock, then it SHOULD be fine.

Then I can play with 360bhp turbo madness... lol.

realistically, I think iut's the only way I could get insured with a big turbo put in. Unless I go A.Flux.

they would work it out on the maximum possible increase as per the toys in the car and argue that case i would think....

mmm... maybe. But.... people like tescos don't know much.

You say you've got a GT28 turbo in there and they'll ask whats that ? They then go onto ask how much power increase over stock ? You could then say, with the AVC-R it's only 10%.

Possibly could get away with it.

mmm... maybe. But.... people like tescos don't know much.

You say you've got a GT28 turbo in there and they'll ask whats that ? They then go onto ask how much power increase over stock ? You could then say, with the AVC-R it's only 10%.

Possibly could get away with it.

the insurance company themselves may not know much but I bet the inspectors they use will do....

worth a try innit!

is worth a try.

as long as it's set low if you do smash, surely it would be ok ? You could plead ignorance/stupidity and say you didn't know it could be adjusted. It came like this.

worth a try innit!

is worth a try.

until you try and make a claim and get told that they aint paying nothing and your a deep shedload out of pocket...

Nah, Finecactus works for the Motor Insurers Bureau. But he might still know something bout it anyway!

I think Dame does too though i could be mistaken, he knows lots about insurance anyhow. :bookworm:

If i remember correctly you can have a default setting and a high setting.

Make your defualt setting low to make the insurance less, but just simply turn the high setting on when you get in the car.

If you did crash and were unconcious the defualt would still be the low setting when they check it.

I dunno :wacko:

mmmmm might try that with the rolla, as its got motec ecu ill make a map that only gives 100bhp that way all the mods will actualy produce 30bhp LESS than stock so using your theory my insurance will be less than a stock car!!! :wacko:

It's just my insurance company wrote down all the mods .. and cause I've only got the boost at 1 bar .. it's only a 10% improvement ..

But the mods will allow me to run more boost .. hell, the mods will allow 2bar (for about 5 seconds) ..

But I only run 1 bar (honest).

You peeps seem to be missing the point, you can tell them anything you like and feel like you are covered. At the end of the day if you crash/kill someone they will get the top guys to investigate the wreck before paying up.

Just because you talk to a dizzy bint on the phone when getting a quote doesnt mean everything is fine.

If you hold back on ANY information when getting a quote, the whole thing is void.

even so jappy, if your boost is set to the 10% you claimed while getting your quote in the event of a crash.... they can't really argue can they?

I can see the problem if it's set to 11% when they investigate it, but otherwise you've told the truth on your insurance :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links