Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking For A Toyota Auris

iamnicolas

I am looking for a toyota auris automatic. Any advice for the pre purchase inspection?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which generation Auris are you considering - first generation 2007 to November 2012, or second generation December 2012 onwards.

The first generation petrol and diesel Auris used the Multi Mode transmission (MMT) as the 'auto' option - this was a manual gearbox with an automated clutch, so not a 'true' automatic.

The second generation petrol and diesel Auris continued to use MMT in some countries, although in the UK, the second generation petrol and diesel Auris used a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) as the auto option.

Auris Hybrids use an Electronic Continuously Variable Transmission (e-CVT).

• Like 1

Don't but one with the MMT auto gearbox, it's dreadfully bad.

• Like 2

Gosh this board's like a Pater Noster elevator innit like, up and down, round and round same old same old. lol

I am looking for the first generation. Basically am looking for a good quality car  max £4500 automatic. I am used to driving auto. Auris is one of my options. I really like it. 

Any advice when inspecting the car? The other options are: Vauxhall Corsa or Smart Fortwo! Lol!

I can't stress strongly enough that the MMT automatic gearbox in the Auris is ABSOLUTELY DREADFUL, and should be avoided at all costs.  It's actually an automated manual box and it has no idea which gear it should be in at any given situation, and it's especially woeful on hills.  For example, say you're at 35 mph on a slight hill with light throttle (a hill incline/throttle position combo which the car could actually handle in 5th), it changes down to 4th, then almost instantly into 3rd, resulting in a dreadful loss of speed due to the time it takes to change the two gears seperately, and also ending with the engine revving much higher than needed.

To give some perspective I have driven autos on and off for over 30 years, and in anything from cars to modern 44 ton Scanias and Dafs with similar 12 speed automated manuals. Our Auris was a low miler 12 plate 1.6 valvematic petrol, and it was a 6 speed, it was the old shape facelifted shape, not the new 2013 on shape.  We also previously had a Citroen C4 1.6 hdi (110bhp version) with their version of the same automated manual gearbox (EGS in Citroen terms) which, although not perfect by any means, was infinitely better than the hopeless Toyota one.  That Citroen had bags of torque tho, so it probably drove better cos it had the power to pull ot through when it chose the wrong gear.

Hope this helps :)

edit... I believe that Smart cars use a similar box, and are equally bad.  The Corsa will probably have a traditional torque converter box and would probably drive ok.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alan333 said:

I can't stress strongly enough that the MMT automatic gearbox in the Auris is ABSOLUTELY DREADFUL, and should be avoided at all costs.  It's actually an automated manual box and it has no idea which gear it should be in at any given situation, and it's especially woeful on hills.  For example, say you're at 35 mph on a slight hill with light throttle (a hill incline/throttle position combo which the car could actually handle in 5th), it changes down to 4th, then almost instantly into 3rd, resulting in a dreadful loss of speed due to the time it takes to change the two gears seperately, and also ending with the engine revving much higher than needed.

To give some perspective I have driven autos on and off for over 30 years, and in anything from cars to modern 44 ton Scanias and Dafs with similar 12 speed automated manuals. Our Auris was a low miler 12 plate 1.6 valvematic petrol, and it was a 6 speed.  We also previously had a Citroen C4 1.6 hdi (110bhp version) with their version of the same automated manual gearbox (EGS in Citroen terms) which, although not perfect by any means, was infinitely better than the hopeless Toyota one.  That Citroen had bags of torque tho, so it probably drove better cos it had the power to pull ot through when it chose the wrong gear.

I know what you mean. I used to have a Smart and the gearbox is very similar. I am used to it tho haha! Additionally, i want an automatic and i think i will go with either the Vauxhall or Toyota. I think the Toyota is a bit better quality-wise . Generally, i will think about the auto gearbox, but as a car is it good??

7 minutes ago, iamnicolas said:

Generally, i will think about the auto gearbox, but as a car is it good??

The steering was woolly on ours - and it tramilined a fair bit, and it drifted/floated about at motorway speeds.  It certainly wasn't the car we expected it to be, and it was nowhere near as nice to drive as all our previous and current Avensises.  On the other hand it was soft quiet and comfy, and well kitted.  We only had it a bit over a year and the only trouble I had from it was when it pulled to one side.  I posted a thread about it at the time, but the bottom line is that swapping tyres helped a bit.

• Like 1

The MMT gearboxes can be more problematical, and if issues do occur, your best bet for repairs would be Toyota. Having said that, the Astra of the same era may have a similar gearbox - the Easytronic - and there have been instances of these failing (see  http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/vauxhall/astra-h-2004/?section=good )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The MMT gearboxes can be more problematical, and if issues do occur, your best bet for repairs would be Toyota. Having said that, the Astra of the same era may have a similar gearbox - the Easytronic - and there have been instances of these failing (see  http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/vauxhall/astra-h-2004/?section=good )

Thank you. The Corsa tho does have a proper Automatic gearbox.  I might increase my budget a bit and go for something different 

If you can stretch your budget a bit, look for a hybrid auris, or prius.....superb. 

• Like 1

Or if you could live with a bigger car the 2003-2008 Avensis has a good auto box, but if you want a 1.8 you need one from 2006 or newer, ie the slightly facelift model.

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 7:09 PM, alan333 said:

To give some perspective I have driven autos on and off for over 30 years, and in anything from cars to modern 44 ton Scanias and Dafs with similar 12 speed automated manuals. Our Auris was a low miler 12 plate 1.6 valvematic petrol, and it was a 6 speed, it was the old shape facelifted shape, not the new 2013 on shape.  We also previously had a Citroen C4 1.6 hdi (110bhp version) with their version of the same automated manual gearbox (EGS in Citroen terms) which, although not perfect by any means, was infinitely better than the hopeless Toyota one.  That Citroen had bags of torque tho, so it probably drove better cos it had the power to pull ot through when it chose the wrong gear.

edit... I believe that Smart cars use a similar box, and are equally bad.  The Corsa will probably have a traditional torque converter box and would probably drive ok.

I agree, test drove an MMT and was absolutely amazed that Toyota would produce such a terrible car.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2016 at 9:49 PM, iamnicolas said:

Thank you. The Corsa tho does have a proper Automatic gearbox.  I might increase my budget a bit and go for something different 

Some versions of the Corsa have the Easytronic gearbox rather than a torque convertor gearbox

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Some versions of the Corsa have the Easytronic gearbox rather than a torque convertor gearbox

Known in the trade as the Elastic Band transmission. Avoid.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys for your help. I started looking for either an IQ auto or fiat 500 manual or fiesta auto. The insurance for the Auris is more expensive for me  :/

OP has decided to buy a Ford Fiesta

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links