Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Driven Gen4 Prius today

Devon Aygo

9 hours ago, PeteB said:

I'm sitting in one now! Can't drive, 12v battery removed. 

Mostly good but rear headroom very poor and I'm only 5'10"!

I'm afraid I think they've killed it's use for taxi work. 

OK, so I've ordered one - the rear space it's not quite bad enough to override all the other things I really like.

Also, I was delighted when the salesman said it was only fuses missing, and he was able to power up the displays, but not let me drive as it was not prepared and 'buried' in the showroom.

Some Toyotas now have a cheap, nasty sounding clicker for the indicators which would drive me (really, really, really) insane, but I'm delighted to report the one in the Prius is fine.

My other big fear was the reduction in interior stowage space - it IS much poorer, and will be a BIG pain for me - another 10% less and I would have lost all interest in the car.  WHY oh WHY to Toyota give us good things then take them away again?  Still no flow controls on the air vents (which the Gen 1 & 2 had) - so it's either fully off or fully on.  Madness and maddening.

Most other things I really like, except there's now appears to be no option to prevent the automatic headlights from working - I nearly crashed the Lexus NX I tested a year ago when someone pulled out as the car turned them on under some overhanging trees because he thought I'd flashed him.

Now I've got to wait until June...

Anyone interested in a March 2012 T3 with Sat Nav and Cruise, white, 54,000 miles, available June? (also has (dealer fitted):

• Steel rear bumper protector
  • Front & rear parking sensors (colour coded)
  • Boot liner
  • Side body mouldings
  • Aluminium scuff plates
  • Velour mats (recently renewed)
  • RoadHawk DC-1 Event Camera (hard wired with override switch)
  • heated front seats

Well drove the Gen 4 this afternoon, well impressed. It is definitely quieter and more responsive, interior is a big improvement . The rear headroom didn't seem too bad to me, there is indentations in the roof to help with the headroom and the seats don't appear to be any higher due to the batteries being under the seat. I love the new colour displays and HUD and the touch screen is also a great improvement on the Gen 3 . Getting rid of the thick A pillar on the front quarter light has greatly improved visibility, and this has improved generally all round, especially to the front.  In fact I was so impressed I ordered the Excel with cool grey interior, though I have to wait until June for delivery .  :blink:

10 minutes ago, diverdave said:

... rear headroom didn't seem too bad to me...

I found the entry into the rear wasn't too bad, but had to sit with my head at about 30° from vertical, even then it was pressing into the headlining.  I wouldn't want to sit like that for very long, and if booking a minicab in future I'll specify it mustn't be a 4th Gen Prius unless it's a very short journey.

Still it was less bad than I feared, and certainly not as bad as the formerly class leading Yaris became from 2012 onwards.  I absolutely can't fit in the back on those, and find it very hard to get in too.

I've ordered the grey leather too - looks very nice in the pictures.  Be interesting to see who gets theirs first!

Strange you have to choose the free optional leather rear armrest, otherwise you get cloth.

Strange you have to choose the free optional leather rear armrest, otherwise you get cloth.

Didnt realise this, I will have to phone the dealer tomorrow, don't want cloth when the rest is leather ! 

6 minutes ago, diverdave said:

Didnt realise this, I will have to phone the dealer tomorrow, don't want cloth when the rest is leather ! 

Same here.

What colour exterior did you go for?

I've gone for white again.

I was torn between the pearlescent white and the Hypersonic red, I went for the red, I think that it looks good with the black alloys with the silver inserts, also gone for the protection pack, and the piano black fog lamp surround, door sills and rear diffuser.

Pah, waiting til June delivery, ordered Rav4 Hybrid and have to wait until the end of July.

PeteB,

I have just spoken to the dealership about the leather rear armrest and they can't understand why you would get a cloth one, they said it would be leather, and if by any chance it did come in with a cloth one they would swop it for a leather one.

29 minutes ago, diverdave said:

PeteB,

I have just spoken to the dealership about the leather rear armrest and they can't understand why you would get a cloth one, they said it would be leather, and if by any chance it did come in with a cloth one they would swop it for a leather one.

Makes no sense to me either.  It's in the configurator (which is not reliable anyway - I could pay extra for SatNav and parking sensors that are already in the spec!).

I put a link to a PDF of my configurator spec here (and pasted in a screen shot too as it didn't list everything - glad they're a bit more mprofessional with their cars!):

http://biwel.com/pmb01/Petes 2016 Prius Excel spec - 1TUHWUD.pdf

Also, under Interior Styling in the configurator is "Fabric rear armrest".

As you say, as long as the dealer's got it covered (so to speak!)...

You two guys are making me jealous!! I will be interested to hear from you when you have your new GEN 4s. I cannot justify ordering one as our Gen 3, 2014 model T Spirit is as new and only done 5,000 miles. The dealer would have to give a fantastic offer for me to P/X at the present time. Maybe next year??? Everything I read about the Gen 4 seems to be good. I am pleased it has a HUD. As you point out Pete I am also not too sure about the auto lights.

14 hours ago, PeteB said:

Most other things I really like, except there's now appears to be no option to prevent the automatic headlights from working - I nearly crashed the Lexus NX I tested a year ago when someone pulled out as the car turned them on under some overhanging trees because he thought I'd flashed him.

PeteB, I have read the 2016 Prius owners manual regarding the lights and it says this :- The headlights can be operated manually or automatically.

Headlight switch Turning the end of the lever turns on the lights as follows: X Type A The headlights, front position lights, daytime running lights (→P. 278) and so on turn on and off automatically. (When the power switch is in ON mode.) The front position, tail, license plate and instrument panel lights turn on. The headlights and all lights listed above (except daytime running lights) turn on. The daytime running lights turn on. (→P. 278) The headlights can be operated manually or automatically.

On the stalk there were only three settings, whereas other cars I've drive with Auto Lights (including Lexus) had four:

1. Off (DRLs on when in READY mode)
  2. Auto
  3. parking/side/position lights
  4. Headlights

The 2016 Prius only had 2, 3 and 4.

By manual, I think it means you can switch to parking or head if only the DRLs are on, but I don't understand from your quote how you can leave it off (not Auto) with just the DRLs on.

I hope there's a way of disabling the Auto option.

I'd have preferred a warning on the dash if the car thinks I should have lights on and I haven't, with an optional full Auto choice for those that like it.

1 hour ago, Chris Dance said:

... I cannot justify ordering one as our Gen 3, 2014 model T Spirit is as new and only done 5,000 miles...

it makes no sense to me either - my 2012 Prius has done nearly 54k, so it's barely run in!

But the 2016 has so many things I've craved for (+20 years for adaptive cruise)...

Yay, I've placed my order for a solid white Excel with protection pack, chrome pack. Due in the country on 19th March and should be ready for collection from the dealer on 6th April (or maybe a little before that date).

I had to plump for the black leather interior, apparently I'd be looking at July/August if I wanted the cool grey leather. The only other early Excel model available was in Silver.

I've gone for the sexy 17" piano black wheels which should look good against the white. But they don't sell a 17" spare, you only get that option if you go for 15" wheels. So I will have to have the gunk pack.

Watch the configurator. If you go for an excel, it automatically comes with the parking pack. You don't have to pay £495 extra. It also has Touch 2 with Go PLUS navigation (which accepts voice commands) so you don't need to pick that option either.

I did add cloth floor mats, side mouldings and a centre console cover.

I'm well excited :biggrin:

6 minutes ago, thecaretaker said:

Yay, I've placed my order for a solid white Excel ...

I've gone for the sexy 17" piano black wheels ...

I'm well excited :biggrin:

Congrats Paul (and to Dave) - looks like you'll be reporting back before Dave or me!

You aren't on company car tax or planning trips into London Congestion Charge zone, presumably?

Don't forget to make sure you dealer knows if the rear armrest is leather if that matters to you.

15 hours ago, PeteB said:

You aren't on company car tax or planning trips into London Congestion Charge zone, presumably?

No, private buyer and have no plans to drive in London.

Thanks for the tip about the arm rest. That's why I love this forum. :wink:

I had a sit in one yesterday. It looked very impressive indeed from the outside..

Apparently it hadn't had its PDI check, so although it could be switched on, it couldn't be put in reverse so I was unable to check for the existence of dynamic guidelines. The salesman hadn't been on Prius training, but thought that it wasn't included. That was on the business model, so I guess it might be included with Parking Assist on the Excel. I would like to know, because I really miss them from both my Prius.

There is a switch on the lower dash, between steering wheel and door that looks like an on-off switch for the auto lights. Not an intuitive position, but probably no more weird than some others.

What I really didn't like were the white bits round the gear stick, the steering wheel, and the centre console. I can just about live with these, however SWMBO most definitely can't. So much as I would like to have one as I could live with it, I think the white bits may be a deal breaker. However well finished it is, the expanses of white just manage to look seriously tacky in an otherwise much improved interior. 

Internal storage seems a bit limited, with just a single, fairly small glove box, and a smaller box in the centre console that bizarrely hinges on the passenger side, rather than the back.

I'm still going to have a test drive as soon as I can get to a demonstrator, The tacky whiteness might grow on us, but I really don't see it.

25 minutes ago, Ancient Nerd said:

...dynamic guidelines...

There is a switch on the lower dash, between steering wheel and door that looks like an on-off switch for the auto lights...

What I really didn't like were the white bits round the gear stick, the steering wheel, and the centre console... 

Internal storage seems a bit limited, with just a single, fairly small glove box, and a smaller box in the centre console that bizarrely hinges on the passenger side, rather than the back...

I've seen reverse, it has lines and arcs, I've been told they're static - this has also been said by a Toyota lady on their blog.

I believe the switch cancels the auto Main Beam function, but I'll try to read the manual when I get a test drive.

I do like the white bits myself, especially with the "cool grey" leather seats - there's bound to be differing tastes, of course.

The internal storage was nearly a deal-breaker for me - WHY do they have to make some things worse???

I finally got a test drive in the new Prius yesterday. Based on this, we ordered a red Excel with 15 inch wheels, the protection pack and side protection strips. Delivery was quoted as June, but might be earlier.

The really good thing is that the dynamic reversing guide lines are back. Sounds like Toyota GB are on the ball as always. Have any of them actually looked at the car? I've really missed them on the Auris, which has been a bit of a disappointment.

Another excellent thing from my point of view is that when driving, my left arm completely hides the front seat toilet. Unfortunately SWMBO is not quite so happy as she doesn't want to hold her right arm up all the time without a steering wheel to support it. I've had to promise to try and get the toilet seat cover that is available in the USA. Surprise, surprise, this isn't available in the UK where the cover won't be seen because it will be underneath my phone while it's charging. .

Prius_2016_LowerConsoleApplique_ShifterA

Also, in the UK the side protection moulding is plain black rubber, whereas the US version is body coloured, with a nice bit of piano black at the leading edge. At least on reading the UK documentation, I've just found that the black rubber can be painted to match the car, so back to the sales guy to get that sorted.

Edited by Ancient Nerd
added missing information.

6 hours ago, Ancient Nerd said:

...hides the front seat toilet.

Prius_2016_LowerConsoleApplique_ShifterA

Huh??

On 28/02/2016 at 6:30 PM, Ancient Nerd said:

...There is a switch on the lower dash, between steering wheel and door that looks like an on-off switch for the auto lights...

Found it - p 281 the switch is for the Auto high beam.  Push the light stalk away with the rotary switch in Auto (lights) or headlights on and it switches between High Beam on and Auto Highbeam.

Apparently, the dealer can switch off the auto wipers (looks like it reverts to speed sensitive variable intermittent [p 676]) but I can't find anywhere that says the auto lights can be turned off (yet!)

Do the mirrors auto park, AND are the mirrors adjustment controls illuminated....unlike the Gen 3 one hopes

One other thought....is the roof a smooth surface or is it creased as per the gen 3....if it is smooth, there is a chance of an after market Webasto electric roof, as per the one I had fitted in my IQ

Hi Barry

1 Rocker switch in drivers armrest for mirrors: closed/auto/open - so yes, if you want

2 Can't see in daylight if illuminated, but new switch doesn't really need it IMHO. It's a rotary knob on the armrest, easy to find without looking.  Rotate - centre=off, left=left mirror etc.  Works as four directional joystick.

3 Didn't notice roof, but my test drive is Monday morning - I'll try to remember to check

[ps Barry - tried to PM you but couldn't - have I upset you?]

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links