Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery light not working. Flat battery

theMarchant

Okay so my sister has a mk1? Yaris and the Battery went flat and she went to Halfords and they replaced her Battery. I wouldn't got to Halfords btw haha. So first port of call was to check if the Battery light works because if it doesn't you have basically no chance of charging without it.

so how easy is it to change this bulb?

any idea what code bulb it is?

where else should i be looking?

i haven't check battery charging voltage yet as I didn't have time or a multimeter one me. 

Any help will be very greatly recived.

Thabkyou, Ryan.

A flat battery/non illuminating Battery light combo would point me towards a fault in the charging system.  Test the voltage at the Battery first with the engine running, it should be towards 14volts.  If it's lower then it's not charging.

Well the fault I was thinking is that if that bulb blows the alternator gets no exciter and doesn't preform correctly.

Yep, could be.  But it's a lot easier to put a test meter across a Battery than it is to strip a dash down.

Bulb failing for Battery shouldn't affect charging system, its only an indicator as to what the charging system is (or isn't) doing.

Okay so I had no luck getting the bulb to illuminate in the dash. The light is very important, if the circuit for the bulb is broken then the alternator will not charge.

Hopefully I will have an alternator tomorrow so I can do some real diagnostics.

Also spotted some missing connections, not sure if you know what they're for? 

On the first picture you can see a connection in the background, also sporting the same wire colours.

image1 (3).JPG

image2 (1).JPG

8 minutes ago, theMarchant said:

Okay so I had no luck getting the bulb to illuminate in the dash. The light is very important, if the circuit for the bulb is broken then the alternator will not charge.

I am with MEP's Yaris GS on this, I don't believe that this is the case. The charging system warning light should indicate a low charging level rather than it all going through it. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links