Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Parking Brake

rajeshk

Hello everyone,

I have a Toyota Corolla CE 1997. I had its brakes replaced about a week back. I am not sure about all the details of components replaced but I do know that the rear brake shoes and drums and the front rotors were replaced.

Yesterday, I (being a new driver and not very careful) drove with my parking brakes on for about 11 miles - I know, I know, it was the dumbest thing to have done but the deed is done and I am just curious to know how such abuse of brakes affects the car. Does is just reduce the brake life (I had recent new brakes) or does it lead to other gross damage?

Thanks for any comments,

Rajesh

It'll certainly wear the brakes quicker doing this, but shouldn't do any lasting damage.

Fuel economy suffers a lot though.

Don't do it again! :P

Rich

Check the hub centres to see if any grease is showing, the heat generated by leaving the handbrake on can make grease have the same consistancy as water, this will pass the seals and leave your bearings without lubrication-----Very expensive!!!!

Also if you apply your handbrake while rolling slightly and you get a grinding sound, you have lost the friction material----More expense!!

Hope none of the above applies. :thumbsup:

Les

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links