Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is there an obvious risk with this used Auris?

Frasier

Hi all.

New user here, I have always had Japanese cars so want to stick.

I'm looking for a ULEZ-compliant Auris.

I have found a 2016 diesel (under 50k mileage) from a private dealership which meets all my spec but I was worried about a few things:

a) The service book was not with the car but the toyota web shows it was serviced with them until March 2019. Is the lack of a service book a red flag?

b) In the 2017 service the EGR valve was replaced, and in the 2018 service something was done on the EGR again. The 2019 service was clear, but the fuel filter was not changed. Should I worry about the EGR issues?

b) Battery looks like it is aftermarket (no Toyota logo). Should I worry about this?

Are any of these red flags? It is within my budget (Auto trader says low price, but also says high mileage so that's why) so would you guys go for it?

Thanks!

What intervals was the car serviced at? Should be every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurred first. Services are Intermediate at 12 months/10,000 miles, 3 years/30,000 miles, etc, and Full at 2 years/20,000 miles, 4 years/40,000 miles, etc.

If done on the time basis, the 2019 service was Intermediate, which I doubt whether the fuel filter was due to be changed. Next Full service is due this month.

The lack of a service book would mean that doesn't have a full service history when selling the car. May also cause issues if the car is still within its new car warranty, and warranty work is needed.

it was done on the annual basis, not the mileage basis unfortunately. Yes, the 2019 one was an intermediate and didn't have the fuel filter changed because the mileage was only 39k not 40k (technically it didn't need to be done then but tbh they should have).

The garage selling the car said that they did the most recent service and only did an oil change, no fuel filter.

I told them that according to the maintenance calendar the fuel filter should have been changed. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch so I could have missed hundreds of things that should be done in this service.

This is a lot of money and I need things to be done properly if I am expecting it to last a long time.

They said that they would be happy to replace the fuel filter if I would put a deposit down but again, I'd rather do it myself because I wouldn't be able to tell if they actually did it.

Yes, I am pessimistic LOL!

3 minutes ago, Frasier said:

it was done on the annual basis, not the mileage basis unfortunately. Yes, the 2019 one was an intermediate and didn't have the fuel filter changed because the mileage was only 39k not 40k

As said previously, service intervals are every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first

So if the car was at 39K miles at the 2019 service, and this was the third service due at either 3 years or 30,000 miles, then the required service intervals haven't been adhered to.

Just now, FROSTYBALLS said:

As said previously, service intervals are every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first

So if the car was at 39K miles at the 2019 service, and this was the third service due at either 3 years or 30,000 miles, then the required service intervals haven't been adhered to.

You are right, and I agree.

So do you suggest I just walk away from this car then?

Its really your choice, but there are issues with the servicing and the service history. 

Nowadays, due to data protection legislation, when a dealer buys a car they aren't interested in service invoices, and only a stamped service book is proof of a full service history.

I would look elsewhere.

1 minute ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Its really your choice, but there are issues with the servicing and the service history. 

Nowadays, due to data protection legislation, when a dealer buys a car they aren't interested in service invoices, and only a stamped service book is proof of a full service history.

I would look elsewhere.

Thanks.

The dealer did try to say that everything is done online nowadays and that's why he showed me the app screenshots, showing that the services were all on Toyota's systems.

Most manufacturers do record servicing online as well as in the service book.

We've just changed our one car, and dealers now don't want to know about any invoices showing services - they want the stamped service book.

I have spoken to the previous owner who had it for a year (his details were on the binder and 2019 receipts) but he was a very nice guy and told me that he bought it from Toyota maindealer and they didn't give him a service book and he therefore didn't give the dealer a service book.

The service book would have been issued to the first owner when the car was new. Could be possible that the first owner didn't pass the service book on. 

However, without the stamped service book, despite whether there are online details or invoices available, it doesn't have an acceptable full service history. 

Also the selling dealer is in breach of data protection legislation by making available details of the previous owner.

Also there is the fact that the service intervals haven't been adhered to.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links