Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota yaris hybrid 2015 issue

Irshad04

I have just purchased this and hopefully it comes on Wednesday so I could test the vehicle.

Could anyone guide me on how to use it when I receive it and I’ll post back the results for everyone to view.

Thanks

AC5B6B8C-8D20-4601-95FE-DEEE716BD307.png

On 4/23/2020 at 3:58 PM, Irshad04 said:

Hi,

I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong section as I'm new to the forum.

I have a Toyota yaris hybrid 2015 and I have been having issue with the ready light not coming on and the engine light is on.

Any idea what could be causing these issues.

So I was driving and all of a sudden the car just stopped and there was a vibration sounded like the motor I believe.

The car warrenty from Toyota has just finished and they said they would need to charge us to even look at the fault. I was told £144 per hour which I don't want.

I did explain to them due to the on-going issues with the covid 19 as well but no luck.

I have attached images of the dashboard.

Any help.

Hi Irshad,

Coming in a bit late on this thread but can you be a little more descriptive about the conditions when it stopped? Long journey, short journey, how it stopped etc etc Describe the "vibration" in a bit more detail also? Have you owned this car since new or is it new to you? Do you know for a fact that all of the regular servicing was done by a Toyota Dealer including the Hybrid Health Check? (which should have automatically extended the Hybrid warranty out to 10 years...)

2 hours ago, CPN said:

Hi Irshad,

Coming in a bit late on this thread but can you be a little more descriptive about the conditions when it stopped? Long journey, short journey, how it stopped etc etc Describe the "vibration" in a bit more detail also? Have you owned this car since new or is it new to you? Do you know for a fact that all of the regular servicing was done by a Toyota Dealer including the Hybrid Health Check? (which should have automatically extended the Hybrid warranty out to 10 years...)

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

So I was driving at a roundabout and just then I heard a vibration and the car started shaking. It drove a whole and then it stopped and wouldn’t turn on again. So we tried to jumpstart the Battery but that didn’t work. I didn’t own the car since new and I bought it 2 years ago. Never had a problem since now and the last service that was done by Toyota dealer was in 2017 and the 5 year warranty just expired on 12th March 2020 and the problem occurred on 19th March 2020.

I have included image of the engine and the fuse box and the hybrid Battery.

Also on the fuse box 4 fuse are not working. I have attached an image and circled them in red.

Regrads

335EFB8D-2059-41AF-9B77-3D9C4400033C.jpeg

2C836D19-BCA7-4E8F-9A09-53E606058082.jpeg

FCE19A2C-4B58-44B5-AFD4-0487EDD4E82A.jpeg

5DE34A6C-0FF6-4C7E-9736-D6529B668024.jpeg

39A665C0-CEB4-4A85-8C1F-B0E79DA64010.jpeg

AF82F416-1AF9-4647-9203-26705ADDE14D.jpeg

152F6B22-D747-404D-BDD3-B81C812E6AA4.jpeg

B15CE664-CF0E-4E3F-A9EB-5577889F25B4.jpeg

8F08D336-D686-4D93-9820-97FFA09D231E.jpeg

2314F0FB-D966-4CD0-BD79-2A16A14912B9.jpeg

The fuses are for the head lights

that doesnt sound good, was it on electric or was the engine running at the time ?

have you checked the oil level ??

6 minutes ago, flash22 said:

The fuses are for the head lights

that doesnt sound good, was it on electric or was the engine running at the time ?

have you checked the oil level ??

Hi,

I checked the oil level and they are fine.

It was running via engine at the time.

i would suspect an engine/gearbox issue then, without seeing the car it's hard to tell

Any loud bangs or smoke ?

who did the service ?

Go through and check all the fuses behind the glove box

55 minutes ago, Irshad04 said:

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

So I was driving at a roundabout and just then I heard a vibration and the car started shaking. It drove a whole and then it stopped and wouldn’t turn on again. So we tried to jumpstart the battery but that didn’t work. I didn’t own the car since new and I bought it 2 years ago. Never had a problem since now and the last service that was done by Toyota dealer was in 2017 and the 5 year warranty just expired on 12th March 2020 and the problem occurred on 19th March 2020.

I have included image of the engine and the fuse box and the hybrid battery.

Also on the fuse box 4 fuse are not working. I have attached an image and circled them in red.

So, am I right in saying that it has missed two proper dealer services in 2018/2019 one of which would have been a Full (as opposed to Intermediate) Service? Also, if it had have had both of those done at a Toyota Dealer, who should have also performed the annual HSD health check, the drive train would still be under 1 year's warranty till 2021...

As someone has already pointed out, those are the headlamp fuses. Has anyone been messing about with overrated bulbs or such like?

If the car actually started shaking (also as Bob has pointed out) that sounds quite serious and if it were me, I wouldn't mess about, just get it into the Toyota Dealer to get it sorted correctly. Don't mess about with back street workshops...

23 minutes ago, flash22 said:

i would suspect an engine/gearbox issue then, without seeing the car it's hard to tell

Any loud bangs or smoke ?

who did the service ?

That last one is the most important question...

(the hybrids don't have a "gearbox" as such...)

31 minutes ago, Irshad04 said:

It was running via engine at the time.

Are you absolutely certain of this? If you were negotiating a roundabout at lower speed, there would be more of a chance of it running in EV mode for a brief period?

Mind you, I'm a bit concerned by the level of the traction Battery that is showing in one of those photos... (hence my querying the HSD warranty aspect...)

7 minutes ago, CPN said:

That last one is the most important question...

(the hybrids don't have a "gearbox" as such...)

It's a box with gears inside and it allows the changing of ratios between input(s) and outputs  ergo. A gearbox

or you could call it a variable torque vectoring and power distribution module

2 bars on the pack is fine, the engine was more than likely running to charge it

its a craps shoot without seeing the car the scenarios are endless, it could be anything from a blown fuseable link to an engine that's snapped its chain/thrown a rod

tbh i glossed over the vibration part at first

• Like 1

It's a box with gears inside and it allows the changing of ratios between input(s) and outputs  ergo. A gearbox

or you could call it a variable torque vectoring and power distribution module

I was meaning in the conventional sense (hence the "") but I prefer your final description anyway 😉

2 bars on the pack is fine, the engine was more than likely running to charge it

Hopefully, yes

its a craps shoot without seeing the car the scenarios are endless, it could be anything from a blown fuseable link to an engine that's snapped its chain/thrown a rod

tbh i glossed over the vibration part at first

It does sound pretty serious to me tbh...

I see the fuel tank is Full, any chance the car was mis-fuelled with Diesel rather than petrol as the car would drive on until Diesel was pulled through then run rough and likely stall the "engine" drain the Hybrid Battery too far to restart the engine and once powered off its is unlikely the car would go back into ready mode?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

that's a good call - once the op gets a scan of the codes it should clear things up a bit

2 minutes ago, flash22 said:

that's a good call - once the op get a scan of the codes it should clear things up a bit

If it were mis-fuel expect to see a P160# code relating to engine power, engine stall &/or fail to start.

28 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

If it were mis-fuel expect to see a P160# code relating to engine power, engine stall &/or fail to start.

Hi,

Thanks for all your messages. I have read though each of them individually.

The vehicle has missed two proper dealer services in 2018/2019.

I believe that the car was running on the Battery at the time as you @CPN has suggested.

I don’t believe that the vehicle was mis-fulled however I will get the cable delivered tomorrow by Amazon and I will run the scan and post the results. 

Is there anyway I could test the hybrid Battery when I get the tool?

So, perhaps the vibration started as the system attempted to restart the ICE (and failed) as you accelerated away from the roundabout perhaps?

The tool will simply give you error codes but Techstream (which I have) will allow you to check the traction Battery, yes.

17 hours ago, CPN said:

So, perhaps the vibration started as the system attempted to restart the ICE (and failed) as you accelerated away from the roundabout perhaps?

The tool will simply give you error codes but Techstream (which I have) will allow you to check the traction battery, yes.

Hi,

I will have a check today. Could the fault be the hybrid Battery itself as I remember that Battery kept draining quickly and doesn’t have enough power to turn on the vehicle.

Regrads

The hybrid Battery (traction battery) does not "start" the vehicle. It starts the ICE (internal combustion engine) via a complex relationship/linkage between 2 motor generators and the engine itself. The smaller 12v Battery is what brings all of the ICU systems to life or "starts" the vehicle.

If there was a fault with the traction Battery, it would have been picked up over the last two services that it didn't get since part of those services (at a dealer) involves a hybrid health check.

Your statement "doesn't have enough power to turn on the vehicle" would apply to the 12V battery and not the traction battery.

22 minutes ago, CPN said:

The hybrid battery (traction battery) does not "start" the vehicle. It starts the ICE (internal combustion engine) via a complex relationship/linkage between 2 motor generators and the engine itself. The smaller 12v battery is what brings all of the ICU systems to life or "starts" the vehicle.

If there was a fault with the traction battery, it would have been picked up over the last two services that it didn't get since part of those services (at a dealer) involves a hybrid health check.

Your statement "doesn't have enough power to turn on the vehicle" would apply to the 12V battery and not the traction battery.

I was merely simplifying things the Hybrid battery does start the engine by powering a Motor generator to act as a starter motor. In my scenario the engine has stalled due to diesel fuel, in this instance the car can continue to move under electric power until the Hybrid Battery is fully drained and everything powers down or partially drained beyond the point where the Hybrid Battery will no longer be able to start the engine in both cases the 12v Battery can power the car on but it will never go into ready mode, in this circumstance this isn't a faulty Hybrid battery that would be picked up by a HHC just a drained one.

My reasoning for this is I have seen this exact scenario, a customer mis-fuelled with diesel drove away from the fuel station fine for 3-4 miles before the engine shuddered and cut out whilst going around a roundabout they continued to drive the car off the roundabout and pulled over powering the car off, called the AA who attended but could not get the car to go back into ready mode, at the dealer we had P1604 Startability malfunction P1605 Rough running/idling, realising the car had been mis-fuelled we checked the charge state of the Hybrid battery ( which was too low ) so we drained and refuelled the car and hired the Hybrid battery charger from Toyota, refuelled and recharged the car started fine 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

I was merely simplifying things the Hybrid battery does start the engine by powering a Motor generator to act as a starter motor. In my scenario the engine has stalled due to diesel fuel, in this instance the car can continue to move under electric power until the Hybrid battery is fully drained and everything powers down or partially drained beyond the point where the Hybrid battery will no longer be able to start the engine in both cases the 12v battery can power the car on but it will never go into ready mode, in this circumstance this isn't a faulty Hybrid battery that would be picked up by a HHC just a drained one.

My reasoning for this is I have seen this exact scenario, a customer mis-fuelled with diesel drove away from the fuel station fine for 3-4 miles before the engine shuddered and cut out whilst going around a roundabout they continued to drive the car off the roundabout and pulled over powering the car off, called the AA who attended but could not get the car to go back into ready mode, at the dealer we had P1604 Startability malfunction P1605 Rough running/idling, realising the car had been mis-fuelled we checked the charge state of the Hybrid battery ( which was too low ) so we drained and refuelled the car and hired the Hybrid battery charger from Toyota, refuelled and recharged the car started fine 

Hi,

‘Just received the fault tool. Will do it tomorrow and come with the result.

how much voltage does the 12v Battery need to have?

Regrads

On 4/28/2020 at 7:25 PM, Devon Aygo said:

I was merely simplifying things the Hybrid battery does start the engine by powering a Motor generator to act as a starter motor. In my scenario the engine has stalled due to diesel fuel, in this instance the car can continue to move under electric power until the Hybrid battery is fully drained and everything powers down or partially drained beyond the point where the Hybrid battery will no longer be able to start the engine in both cases the 12v battery can power the car on but it will never go into ready mode, in this circumstance this isn't a faulty Hybrid battery that would be picked up by a HHC just a drained one.

Hi,

I have ran the check on the vehicle and this is what I got;

Please find the attached images.

I removed the 12v Battery and put it back and all the light went off, the engine light and the hybrid light all gone and the ready light came on.

when I start the car it tries to start but then dies after a few seconds. Could it be the 12v Battery due to the codes shown in the images.

Regrads

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

sorry those pictures are too small

Windows 10 ? press the windows key and type snip - click on the snipping tool - click new, select what you want to snip - the preview window then pops up click the save icon

9 minutes ago, flash22 said:

sorry those pictures are too small

Windows 10 ? press the windows key and type snip - click on the snipping tool - click new, select what you want to snip - the preview window then pops up click the save icon

Please check again. I have edited the post.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links