Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 2013 exhaust noise

roks

Hi all,

Viewing 2013 excel 50k on the clock, exhaust sounds louder my old 2004 corolla. Cold start...weather not that cold today...

Let me know what you think please, video attached.

• Like 1

I hope I dont regret it, it was a full leather, 13reg, Excel, 47,300 on the clock, manual petrol, £7k, 3 months AA warranty, fsh but not toyota.

Drove home 20miles local traffic, I got to get used to the 6 grears and weird reverse...I thought these cars had hill start assist....had to resort to old fasion hand break trick

1st doesnt feel the womph as my corolla and seem to rev a lot higher as well.

The exhaust seems to make this horrible resonance while coast to stop at lights....rpm around 2,000, also on low gears. Not sure if any of this is normal.

Sat nav says 'system not installed', I thought excel had that by default.

Awaiting expert feedbacks, not sure how well I did on the deal.

Gearing will be different between the 5 speed on the Corolla and 6 Speed on the Auris.

The exhaust sounds normal for a 1.6 Auris, back in when the 1.6 was newer Toyota acknowledged the exhaust was a bit throaty for some and and only based on a customer complaint offered a quieter option.

Nav was only made a standard fit from 2015 on on Excel 

Thanks Devon Aygo, this is the morning after, everything is coming out now...🙂

There appears to be a puddle of water inside the tailgate light cluster, and quite a few chip marks, not sure what I'll discover rest of this week.

So Roks, you bought the car from the other post you made? - 

As the engine is similar to my 1.8 Valvematic, it uses the same type of engine oil, spark plugs, oil and air filters. If you do your own servicing like I do, you will need a 14mm thin walled spark plug socket and oil filter housing tool. The oil filter tool was from eBay, the socket can be got from Halfords or any where. Mine came from Machine Mart at the time. 
P1000986.jpg

Everything else will be Auris related. 
I adjusted to the 6 speed gearbox instantly and for 6 months still used my old Mk1 Avensis 1.8. It must be me, but I can get into a car and adjust to the differences.

• Like 1

No Konrad, that was little over my budget, although this one is 47k, the full leather seats and it was 2 grand cheaper.

So trusty old 3-claw adjustable oil filter remover wont work? Thanks for the heads up, yes, I will certainly look into getting those.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 2:54 PM, roks said:

Hi all,

Viewing 2013 excel 50k on the clock, exhaust sounds louder my old 2004 corolla. Cold start...weather not that cold today...

Let me know what you think please, video attached.

Sometimes sounds like that can be presented because of the water in exhaust silencers, if the car only driven in town for a short trips. A good motorway run at higher rpm over 3.5k can clean the exhaust of accumulated moisture. Had those issues on another Japanese cars., nothing to worry. 👍

I guess I was expecting a quiter exhaust, this being newer than my Corolla.

Also, looks like oil change will be a challenge.....oh what have I let myself into 🙂

4 hours ago, roks said:

No Konrad, that was little over my budget, although this one is 47k, the full leather seats and it was 2 grand cheaper.

So trusty old 3-claw adjustable oil filter remover wont work? Thanks for the heads up, yes, I will certainly look into getting those.

It may work but you need to be careful not to damage the plastic filter housing. I have different oil filter removal tools, including the one you have, but I use the Toyota one.

I've ordered the socket and the filter wrench.

Is it me or are these cars very light on the steering wheel?

aloso there is this metal to metal clunking noise like when I am manuvering to parallel park or doing 3point turn, is that nornal?

there doesnt appear to be any play on the steer wheel.

1 hour ago, roks said:

Is it me or are these cars very light on the steering wheel?

Yep, they are. Once you get used to it, there's some feel in it.

My car is an Auris 1.6 petrol 2013.  Mileage at the time of purchase was 29k.  I found after a few months that the exhaust had become really loud.  I went to Kwik fit they told me it was blowing and it would cost £275 to replace the back part. I took it to the dealer where I purchased it from and told them about the problem.  Initially, I was told that it made the car sound "cool". I said I didn't like the noise and they changed it free of charge.

Hi Excel,

When did you buy your car and do you think I might be able to do the same?

Also, when I initially turned on the AC it was blowing out white powdery particles, dealer told me it was the cleaning agent dried up, anyone seen that before?

Thanks

12 minutes ago, roks said:

Hi Excel,

Also, when I initially turned on the AC it was blowing out white powdery particles, dealer told me it was the cleaning agent dried up, anyone seen that before?

Thanks

It has been mentioned before. Here is a post on the subject - 

As my car is an Avensis, I have not had this issue, so no experience of the issue. 

Thanks Konrad, will read through that.

Just read that thread, it looks like a big job and although I've not had time to test it properly....its a lot better now....guess it will build up again.

2 hours ago, roks said:

Did you buy from a toyota dealer or indi?

I bought it from Now Vauxhall in January 2018.  I noted the problem in February 2018 as the exhaust started getting louder. If you bought it from a dealer,  I think you can get them to sort it out as it isn't wear and tear.  They are obligated to resolve any issues or you can ask for your money back.  There is a time limit to do this.

I gor mine from a dealer that is part of WMS group, they gave me 3 months warranty with AA, with a limit £1000 per repair, max 7 repairs. I dont know how easy that will be to do in real life, they probably want me to pay for and claim it after.

I will take a look at the details.

Also, Is the Touch multimedia a basic one, no nav as that was optional extra at 650, I understand why the original owner didnt want that. I tried to get the software details but there isnt anything under general settings, or is that for the touch & go.

I have the same Excel model as you... I was disappointed about the Sat Nav button too but I use my phone so it didn't matter much.  From reading the previous threads on this forum, I noted the hardware such as GPS antenna amongst other things isn't there so the button is really a dummy.

But it has other functions which are a lot more useful - speed limiter, cruise control and automatic parallel parking.  In the winter the heated front seats help too!

• 3 weeks later...

Security guard at my work place says "have you got problem with your exhaust", no mate its high perfornce sports exhaust 🤣

I had a quick look with camera attached to my phone, gasket closest to the engine looks ok. The gasket for the back box is in the middle of the car, so not easy to see, but looks worst, not great pictures I know. 

I am going have to pay someone to get on a lift and look at the exhaust.

back box gasket.jpg

back box gasket2.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links