Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bye Bye Dunlop rubbish!

Rav Rob

This week thankfully those spiteful Dunlop Grantek PT30's on the front wore out so I could get something better (lease car so don't have much control of it)

Got some nice Continental Sport Contact 5's. Very nice, not the sharpest turn-in but way grippier and not any noisier.

It was a right muppet at Toyota that chose the Dunlops, 'C' rated wet weather tyres on a heavy £37K car? joke! They squealed like a pig if you tried to have the teeniest bit of fun in the car.

OK the Continentals will wear out quicker from reviews but are 'A' wet weather rated and are actually cheaper than the non-stick Dunlops, which only lasted 20K even so.

Sorry, needed to get that off my chest, I so hate crappy OEM tyres!  .....so you can tell I am delighted!

Hi Rob

How many miles did you get out of the original tyres?
Waiting for my Rav 4 Excell still

I had a Smax until recently that would do about 12000 on a pair of continentals on the front.

Put Hankook ventus on it and they looked like they were going to outlast the continentals by a lot when I sold it.

regards Terry

2 hours ago, Terry10 said:

Hi Rob

How many miles did you get out of the original tyres?
Waiting for my Rav 4 Excell still

I had a Smax until recently that would do about 12000 on a pair of continentals on the front.

Put Hankook ventus on it and they looked like they were going to outlast the continentals by a lot when I sold it.

regards Terry

Hi Terry,

I don't think they are still putting the Dunlop PT30's on from what I heard so you will probably get something different on yours. But mine did exactly 20,000. 

Not brilliant.

Hi I am new to this forum but i have looked at it for around 5 months now. I got my RAV4 Dynamic in April and i got Bridgestone Alenza which are brilliant and super quiet. so i wonder if different models of the RAV4 have different tires?

Nope, I got my  Excel AWD June last year and it came with Bridgestone Alenzas and I too have found them fine.

I also bought a set of Vredestein Quatrac 5 SUV All Season that I'm using as winter tyres until the Bridgestones wear out.  My dealer will swap them twice a year until then.  I've been happy with thse too so far, but the first winter didn't provide any weather to test them properly.  Assuming I experience some bad winter weather before the Bridgestones are gone I'll make a decision whether to stick with the All Season tyres all the time or swap to winter tyres and continue changing them twice a year.

As an aside, I chose Dunlop Sport BluResponse (Eco B Wet A 68 dB) for my Gen 3 and Gen 4 Prius and was very happy with them.  They were super quiet and performed well.

• Thanks 1

Hi Rob

if I can get 20,000 out of the fronts I certainly will not complain.

Loved the Smax to bits ( actually had 2 from new total 11 years )

The big issue was the front tyre wear but apart from that I couldn’t knock it.

Terry

1 hour ago, Terry10 said:

Hi Rob

if I can get 20,000 out of the fronts I certainly will not complain.

Loved the Smax to bits ( actually had 2 from new total 11 years )

The big issue was the front tyre wear but apart from that I couldn’t knock it.

Terry

I'm currently on my second RAV4 - actually I've had two from new over the past 11 years. I'd expect to get over 40,000 miles out of a pair of fronts - over 50,000 miles from a set of four if appropriately swapped front and rear. I guess Toyota may have 'broken' the 4.5 ... 😉

Of course that can be a bit of a problem if you don't like the tyres that you currently have!

20 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

Hi Terry,

I don't think they are still putting the Dunlop PT30's on from what I heard so you will probably get something different on yours. But mine did exactly 20,000. 

Not brilliant.

My wife just got a new Rav4 with PT30s on (dynamic), I got a Excel two or three weeks later and that had Alenzas on, quite a lot of new cars coming through on Autotrader are wearing PT30's.

15 hours ago, 182_blue said:

My wife just got a new Rav4 with PT30s on (dynamic), I got a Excel two or three weeks later and that had Alenzas on, quite a lot of new cars coming through on Autotrader are wearing PT30's.

I guess they picked them (PT30) because they are B rated efficiency (but low rolling resistance = low grip usually) for the best MPG and have quite a low noise figure to make the best of an inherently quiet hybrid car.

But I prefer grip, especially on Winter motorways soon. My new Continentals are only E rated for efficiency so I know they will wear quick, I can live with it. Curiously they are supposed to be a few decibels noisier too but I can't detect it at all, if anything seem quieter. Certainly quieter now not squealing around roundabouts.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links