Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2011 Toyota Corolla LE safe to drive with only 3 of 5 lug nuts

I was replacing my brakes and while the replacement went by fine I had a bit of an oopsie and two of my lugs snapped off with part of the bolt inside. I need two bolts replaced they are right next to each other. I only want to know if it's safe to drive because I want to take it to the mechanic first thing in the morning. Don't plan on doing any other kinds of driving until it's fixed.

I can't see anyone saying it'd be safe, thats 40% overstress on the remaining bolts plus asymmetric loading. As a guide when i designed temporary works 35+ years ago we'd use 25% overstress on steel components in short duration scenarios. 

The loading the bolts actually recieved would depend on speed, braking, cornering, pot holes etc. a very unknown combination. 

You msy be fine or the remaining bolts may develop stress fractures & fail on the journey or some later date. Could you ever trust them again? 

You could try removing the part and have that fixed or transport the vehicle on a flatbed. 

@Jiff Thank you for the information. I'm going to do city driving no more than 40mph (about 65kmh) I'm going to one of the closest auto shops which also happens to be a Toyota service center 3 miles (about 5 km) away from my house but yes you're right, potholes are a concern. I plan on going early so that I can drive slower and avoid peak weekend traffic. For the same reason you noted I'm going to ask to replace all the bolts. I don't think I really trust them anymore. I had 4 bolts for about a week and now this 2nd one snapped while removing it leaving me with only 3.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links