Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Road Noise

Icebun

I did some experiments with sound deadening. What worked for the noise from rough asphalt was to put pieces of anti vibration sheets on the rear wheel arch ( from inside of the car ) and on the side metal sheets - the area between tail lights and rear doors. On the wheel arch I also put sound deadening sheets. Although it is at the back of the car it noticeably reduced noise on the front seats.   

• Like 2

Small aside - Primacy's aren't Michelin's eco tyres, the Energy ones are; Primacys are 'normal'/touring tyres (And very good too, if expensive!)

The Primacys are MUCH better for grip in wet and dry than the Energy ones!

Eco tyres are a gimmick anyway - Only slightly more efficient than a normal tyre and often a chunk more expensive. Most of the time you can get a similar MPG improvement by increasing a normal tyre's pressures by a few PSI! :laugh: 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Small aside - Primacy's aren't Michelin's eco tyres, the Energy ones are; Primacys are 'normal'/touring tyres (And very good too, if expensive!)

The Primacys are MUCH better for grip in wet and dry than the Energy ones!

Eco tyres are a gimmick anyway - Only slightly more efficient than a normal tyre and often a chunk more expensive. Most of the time you can get a similar MPG improvement by increasing a normal tyre's pressures by a few PSI! :laugh: 

Sorry, yes they are not the Michelin Eco range, but compared to the Cross Climates, they are made of concrete, perhaps they are designed as runflats!!

Even though the mpg gain is minimal to us, for the manufacturers chasing ever tighter emissions thresholds, every g/km matters so unfortunately volume cars will have the damn things fitted as standard until registration and pdi.  After then it is an open playing field to fit what you want.  The only reason cars aren't registered with eco space savers on is it would be an insurance nightmare!! Changing tyre brand means needing a re homologation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tomv said:

I did some experiments with sound deadening. What worked for the noise from rough asphalt was to put pieces of anti vibration sheets on the rear wheel arch ( from inside of the car ) and on the side metal sheets - the area between tail lights and rear doors. On the wheel arch I also put sound deadening sheets. Although it is at the back of the car it noticeably reduced noise on the front seats.   

Awesome.

Didn't you take some pictures of it?

i am tempted to do the same!

These are pictures from the non drive side of the boot. Drive side is the same, but there are more cables.

First picture - before deadening. In lower left part you can see part of my spare wheel area deadening attempt. IMHO not much of a difference , the metal is quite thick there (compared to side metal sheets) and don't cause much vibration.

second picture- after anti vibrations sheets application. It is not necessary to put it everywhere. Just nock with your finger and you will hear which areas makes vibration/ noise. The side metal sheets are paper like, no wonder it makes such a noise.Toyota was probably aware of it and put one 10x10 cm piece of anti vibration on the side metal sheet (not visible on the picture). I take it as a joke from them or maybe it's a mark that tells you - apply more here 🙂

third picture- after deadening sheets installation.

Also don't forget to wrap cables with some foam seal in the part where they touch the car body. They are source of rattle. Especially the cable to the tank cap.

83B637F0-F454-4928-9F89-426CA90C548E.jpeg

A887163F-67B4-4EEB-AD91-322D032A47B7.jpeg

37F8B7FC-ACF9-490A-82BC-DF68F0A01BAC.jpeg

• Like 4

Where did you buy the sheets? Online store?

Yes, online. There is a lot of shops with this stuff.

On 6/8/2022 at 8:49 PM, Tomv said:

Yes, online. There is a lot of shops with this stuff.

Thanks.

And thanks for the pics also. 🙂 

On 6/3/2022 at 12:27 PM, Gaz Jones 1 said:

I have recently  bought  Toyota  corolla GR 2l with 225 18 40 tyres 

I find there is excessive  tyre  roar with these tyres (Falken)

Has anyone had this problem 

Yes I have noticed too...

Should have gone for the Touring Sport with 17" wheels instead...

Toyota official store sells very nice 16” original Corolla wheels on eBay and often there are vouchers therefore a great deal. Fit  some quality tyres and you will transom your cars to match German brands when cruising on motorways, I did so and couldn’t be happier 🛞👌

6 hours ago, Tech429 said:

Yes I have noticed too...

Should have gone for the Touring Sport with 17" wheels instead...

17" have the same issue...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links