Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Used hybrid - what to think of?

testbil

Hi! I might buy a used Auris hybrid from 2013-15 and wonder if there anything i should know before buying one? I mean, is a used hybrid a good buy in the long run? 

38 minutes ago, testbil said:

Hi! I might buy a used Auris hybrid from 2013-15 and wonder if there anything i should know before buying one? I mean, is a used hybrid a good buy in the long run? 

We have had an Auris hybrid for 3.5 years now (60 plate), bought with 45k miles, now with 75k. Also got a Prius for 3 years. The hybrid system is solid engineering, you don’t read of problems with it. You need to check other components common with all vehicles, steering, brakes, suspension etc. Particularly rear brakes with Toyota hybrids due to not used a lot and tend to rust and stick. Do remember that if the vehicle has done say 50k miles the engine has only been used approx 50% of that mileage, Battery rest of the time.

we love our Toyota hybrids, so relaxing to drive. Happy hunting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Catlover said:

We have had an Auris hybrid for 3.5 years now (60 plate), bought with 45k miles, now with 75k. Also got a Prius for 3 years. The hybrid system is solid engineering, you don’t read of problems with it. You need to check other components common with all vehicles, steering, brakes, suspension etc. Particularly rear brakes with Toyota hybrids due to not used a lot and tend to rust and stick. Do remember that if the vehicle has done say 50k miles the engine has only been used approx 50% of that mileage, battery rest of the time.

we love our Toyota hybrids, so relaxing to drive. Happy hunting.

Good to hear, thank you! 

Also we aim to buy from an authorized Toyota dealer so that we can get the 10 year or 20 000km warranty. 

33 minutes ago, testbil said:

Also we aim to buy from an authorized Toyota dealer so that we can get the 10 year or 20 000km warranty. 

The extended hybrid Battery warranty is subject to having the car serviced buy an authorised Toyota dealer - servicing would be  12 months or 9,500km, whichever comes first. See extract from Toyota Sweden's website:

"10 year Battery warranty.

We hear that many are worried that the Battery does not measure up. We are not, therefore we give up to 10 years warranty on the battery in our electric hybrids. Provided that you service your car at one of our authorised workshops."

The Toyota GB hybrid battery extended warranty is also subject to having servicing carried out by a Toyota dealer - although in the UK the battery extended warranty can be up to 15 years, rather than 10.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The extended hybrid battery warranty is subject to having the car serviced buy an authorised Toyota dealer - servicing would be  12 months or 9,500km, whichever comes first. See extract from Toyota Sweden's website:

"10 year battery warranty.

We hear that many are worried that the battery does not measure up. We are not, therefore we give up to 10 years warranty on the battery in our electric hybrids. Provided that you service your car at one of our authorised workshops."

The Toyota GB hybrid battery extended warranty is also subject to having servicing carried out by a Toyota dealer - although in the UK the battery extended warranty can be up to 15 years, rather than 10.

Ok. Is this a good thing right? Just so I get it right.. 

Used toyotas in sweden has 10 years warranty if serviced at a toyota workshop. So in hybrids this also includes the Battery?

As far as I'm aware, in Sweden the 10 year warranty is on the hybrid Battery, subject to having the car serviced by an authorised dealer, and the warranty on used cars would be 2 years or 20,000km, whichever occurs first. Have a look at Toyota Sweden's website.

If it were 10 years or 20,000km as you stated, most owners would  have the warranty end at the mileage limit (unless they do less than 2,000km per annum).

Yes definitely get one I had a auris icon+ which had the power fold mirrors although I believe the excel had auto power fold mirrors and smart entry, and auto wipers, auto dimming rear mirror, not sure if it had auto lights.

in someways I regret trading it in for the corolla. The auris was totally reliable as are most Toyota’s I was had a rav 4 and a AA chap I spoke to once said you don’t see these broke down very often.

• Like 1

I bought a used 2015 Auris Hybrid Icon Plus in January this year.

Like the economy, free road tax at the moment in the UK. Drive is smooth and quiet when not booting it and economical. Mine has now covered 30,000miles. Definitely buy from the main dealer for warranty.

I purchased an extra 2 year warranty and 3 year service plan. Only issue I have had is the AC failing in the Summer hot spell. Took 2 months for new condenser as on back order. Thankfully as not stone damage, covered under warranty with Toyota. This the 12 months warranty you get with Toyota Used approved.

Mine is the TS. In Island Blue.

Icon Plus gets.

Satnav,

Heated Front Seats.

Electric folding mirrors. Not Auto. 

over base model. More equivalent to Business Edition.

Good luck in your search.

James👍

Toyota.jpg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Rosgoe said:

Yes definitely get one I had a auris icon+ which had the power fold mirrors although I believe the excel had auto power fold mirrors and smart entry, and auto wipers, auto dimming rear mirror, not sure if it had auto lights.

in someways I regret trading it in for the corolla. The auris was totally reliable as are most Toyota’s I was had a rav 4 and a AA chap I spoke to once said you don’t see these broke down very often.

What don't you like about your Corolla over the Auris? Is it BHP. Corolla 122hp Auris 136bhp. Or something else. Corolla all you need really is Icon Tech or Design trim.

To buy a Corolla I would be looking at an extra 13k extra over the Auris. Some things like park assist/ Lane assist I wouldn't use. I would use Adaptive Cruise. Over the BHP difference probably go with the 2 litre version.

I would have Scarlett Flare or Denim Blue.

James.

15 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As far as I'm aware, in Sweden the 10 year warranty is on the hybrid battery, subject to having the car serviced by an authorised dealer, and the warranty on used cars would be 2 years or 20,000km, whichever occurs first. Have a look at Toyota Sweden's website.

If it were 10 years or 20,000km as you stated, most owners would  have the warranty end at the mileage limit (unless they do less than 2,000km per annum).

Dont know if this will help clarify but this is from the Swedish site about used cars: 

“The car warranty is valid until the car is 10 years old, or until it has traveled 20,000 miles. The car warranty is valid provided that maintenance service and any repairs have been carried out every 1,500 km or at least once a year at an authorized Toyota workshop. With this, Toyota has the most comprehensive customer safety package for used cars on the market. ”

The car warranty is valid up to 10 years or 200.000km (not 20.00 as I said).. 

And then there’s this bit: 

“5 year hybrid warranty

Toyota's hybrid cars also have a 5-year or 100,000-kilometer warranty on the following four hybrid components, high-voltage Battery, high-voltage Battery ECU, hybrid ECU and voltage converter / rectifier (PCU / Power Control Unit). "

So five years or 100.000km warranty on the Battery etc. 

So if I buy a car from 2014 there’s no warranty left on the battery? What’s the cost for a replacement if something happens? Is this an issue? 

You would need to check with Toyota Sweden as costs may vary from country to country.

In the UK the cost of a replacement hybrid Battery for an Auris hatchback is currently £1213.03 including VAT but excluding fitting (Touring Sport £1,281.89).

• Like 1

You don’t really need to worry about the hybrid Battery, except to make sure the filter for it is kept clean of debris. As has been said, the hybrid Battery in the U.K. has been extended to 15 years IF you have it checked annually which is now included with the Toyota service. Glad you clarified the Swedish warranty mileage, 20,000km was not a lot, 200,000km sounds more reasonable.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As far as I'm aware, in Sweden the 10 year warranty is on the hybrid battery, subject to having the car serviced by an authorised dealer, and the warranty on used cars would be 2 years or 20,000km, whichever occurs first. Have a look at Toyota Sweden's website.

If you buy a used Toyota car in Sweden from a Toyota dealer and that car has a TKG (Toyota kvalitetsgaranti) then you have a garanti that covers almost every vital thing for the total of eight years since the cars production. For hybrids it is ten years if it says TKG. We had bought our Toyota Aygo that was four years old and had TKG. Two big things were repaired free under the TKG. First the water pump and then the actuator?, the expensive thing that changes the gear in the MMT. The little extra that you pay for the used car with TKG from the dealer is quickly made up by the first big repair. The down side is that you will have to service your car at a much higher cost at the dealer for those years. Unfortunately the difference in service cost between a Toyota garage and a local garage is quite high in Sweden, unlike UK. There is no fixed price set by Toyota here for the service.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Rosgoe said:

Sound like a good car! I'm looking for a reliable car thats somewhat friendly to the enviroment.. 

9 hours ago, Auris James said:

I bought a used 2015 Auris Hybrid Icon Plus in January this year.

Like the economy, free road tax at the moment in the UK. Drive is smooth and quiet when not booting it and economical. Mine has now covered 30,000miles. Definitely buy from the main dealer for warranty.

I purchased an extra 2 year warranty and 3 year service plan. Only issue I have had is the AC failing in the Summer hot spell. Took 2 months for new condenser as on back order. Thankfully as not stone damage, covered under warranty with Toyota. This the 12 months warranty you get with Toyota Used approved.

Mine is the TS. In Island Blue.

Icon Plus gets.

Satnav,

Heated Front Seats.

Electric folding mirrors. Not Auto. 

over base model. More equivalent to Business Edition.

Good luck in your search.

James👍

Toyota.jpg

Sounds like a solid car! And that mileage is impressive. Nice colour too. Never had any issue with the Battery

Do you know what models there are thats above base model? Business, comfort, ?

Thank you! 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

You would need to check with Toyota Sweden as costs may vary from country to country.

In the UK the cost of a replacement hybrid battery for an Auris hatchback is currently £1213.03 including VAT but excluding fitting (Touring Sport £1,281.89).

Will do! Sounds somewhat expensive but also something that won't totally ruin you.. 

So it's 5 years or 100 000 km on the hybrid components. The cars i'm looking at is a bit older so that warranty won't apply. But we will get the Toyota 10 year or 100 000km warranty on the rest, i think! 

Do you think the technology will feel old in say five years? My worry is that we will buy a car with a quite new technology. The plan is to have this cars for 10 years to come.. 

Thank you for your help! 

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

You don’t really need to worry about the hybrid battery, except to make sure the filter for it is kept clean of debris. As has been said, the hybrid battery in the U.K. has been extended to 15 years IF you have it checked annually which is now included with the Toyota service. Glad you clarified the Swedish warranty mileage, 20,000km was not a lot, 200,000km sounds more reasonable.

Good to hear! We will buy from authorized Toyota dealers with the used car warranty so i guess it has been checked annually! 

Yes i didn't think the mile vs. km/mil thoroughly through.. 

34 minutes ago, rajivrattna said:

If you buy a used Toyota car in Sweden from a Toyota dealer and that car has a TKG (Toyota kvalitetsgaranti) then you have a garanti that covers almost every vital thing for the total of eight years since the cars production. For hybrids it is ten years if it says TKG. We had bought our Toyota Aygo that was four years old and had TKG. Two big things were repaired free under the TKG. First the water pump and then the actuator?, the expensive thing that changes the gear in the MMT. The little extra that you pay for the used car with TKG from the dealer is quickly made up by the first big repair. The down side is that you will have to service your car at a much higher cost at the dealer for those years. Unfortunately the difference in service cost between a Toyota garage and a local garage is quite high in Sweden, unlike UK. There is no fixed price set by Toyota here for the service.

Thank you for clarifying that to me! I think i'll rather pay a little extra to get that warranty for a few years. Are you sure it's not for then years from production even for ordinary by the way?

I see, then you might have to drive a bit to get to a authorized workshop with the best price.. 

Always check any vehicle has had its correct services within the correct time. In the UK, from new with Toyota hybrids its very 12 months or 10,000 miles whichever is sooner. and goess intermediate-full-intermediate-full etc. You can keep the cost of replacing the hybrid Battery in your mind, but remember that Toyota have been marketing hybrid vehicle for over 20 years. When I was looking into buying our first hybrid, the Auris 3 years ago (was 7 years old then) I did research similar to what you doing noe, some of that was done on USA forums. I didnt read of anyone having to eplace the hybrid Battery, maybe an odd cell or two (individual cells can be replaced, not recomended for the home mechanic-dealer only). The fact in the UK Toyota will guarantee the hybrid Battery for up to 15 years (subject to service and health check) tells you they have confidence in hybrid battery life. And as there is no clutch to fail, nor alternator nor starter motor (items on "standard" cars), big expenses in those areas are saved.

Have you test driven an hybrid yet????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

Always check any vehicle has had its correct services within the correct time. In the UK, from new with Toyota hybrids its very 12 months or 10,000 miles whichever is sooner. and goess intermediate-full-intermediate-full etc. You can keep the cost of replacing the hybrid battery in your mind, but remember that Toyota have been marketing hybrid vehicle for over 20 years. When I was looking into buying our first hybrid, the Auris 3 years ago (was 7 years old then) I did research similar to what you doing noe, some of that was done on USA forums. I didnt read of anyone having to eplace the hybrid battery, maybe an odd cell or two (individual cells can be replaced, not recomended for the home mechanic-dealer only). The fact in the UK Toyota will guarantee the hybrid battery for up to 15 years (subject to service and health check) tells you they have confidence in hybrid battery life. And as there is no clutch to fail, nor alternator nor starter motor (items on "standard" cars), big expenses in those areas are saved.

Have you test driven an hybrid yet????

Thats reassuring, thank you! Yes i have, we rented one over the weekend and liked it. At first we thought we wanted an Avensis but the hybrid is to appealing så we will go for that! 

Is there any easy giveaway when looking for a model that is above base equipped? 

Testbil,

When I bought my Aygo a few years ago the TKG was for 8 years but checking it now in the "blocket", I see that it has now become 10 years garantee for both hybrid and non hybrid cars. Worth every penny IMHO.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rajivrattna said:

Testbil,

When I bought my Aygo a few years ago the TKG was for 8 years but checking it now in the "blocket", I see that it has now become 10 years garantee for both hybrid and non hybrid cars. Worth every penny IMHO.

Good to know, thank you! Also think it's worth the money. 

The funny thing is that a 2 year old toyota with TKG has a better guarantee than the new toyota (only 3-5 years guarantee). I am sure there is a difference in the fine print of the pakage.

Yeah that seems a bit strange. Must include something more for new cars or something like that!

Believe UK trim spec for Auris was:

Icon. Icon Plus.  Business edition, Design and top Spec Excel.

No issues with the car other than AC condenser replaced. Passed it's hybrid test a few weeks ago when serviced at Toyota dealer. 

James👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links