Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

FROSTYBALLS

I never heard the brake booster noise when I open the driver door.  Maybe because I open the left one and you the right one 😉

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hm, that is strange. Do you think the software is set not to activate brake booster when opening drivers door but only when you seat inside and step on the brake then? 

I think that might be the case.  Of course many parts of a cars operation are just happen without you noticing.  The brake operation in the Corolla was an unexpected noise.  In the Yaris, without specifically check, the brakes seem to activate as I press the pedal and press Start.  

Next time I will do it slowly and check. 

• Like 3

I noticed recently a fiat 500 has the similar electric brake pump because the driver opened the drivers door and the car made exactly the same sound as my car and I was surprised, the fiat was just a petrol manual, not hybrid or electric. Try to make a note on your cars. Unlock and open drivers door. 👂🎧
Anyone else on Yaris or Yaris cross, do you hear a brake pump noise when you open the drivers door or not? 
Let’s see if Toyota did indeed made a change. 

• Like 1

I also don't hear any sound when opening the door

------------------------------

before unlocking the car

image.thumb.jpeg.bbd42bb65ec0dbc550fa39a4ceddf6fd.jpeg

----------------------------------
unlocking the car

image.thumb.jpeg.c0c96bfd11dfc559493106dfb956aa47.jpeg

----------------------------------

opening the driver's door

image.thumb.jpeg.4359df0fcbda59be0110daf381553c24.jpeg

---------------------------------

pressing the brake

image.thumb.jpeg.8e6cad8c2c6aed456b689faa4f37a765.jpeg

---------------------------------

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Dala said:

I also don't hear any sound when opening the door

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

I noticed recently a fiat 500 has the similar electric brake pump because the driver opened the drivers door and the car made exactly the same sound as my car and I was surprised, the fiat was just a petrol manual, not hybrid or electric. Try to make a note on your cars. Unlock and open drivers door. 👂🎧
Anyone else on Yaris or Yaris cross, do you hear a brake pump noise when you open the drivers door or not? 
Let’s see if Toyota did indeed made a change. 

I dont hear the brake servo start up but other stuff comes on ie dash light up plus outside lights come I presume you can turn this off in settings but have not looked sometimes just unlock at drivers door but do not pull it open just open its adjacent passanger door to retrive or insert. items,

• Like 2

Reading this with interest. I live in Spain 40% of the year currently. Just ordered a Yaris hybrid to replace a 20 Yr old Merc I inherited. Only replacing the Merc as I wanted a car that I could rely on when I come over and the Merc was getting a bit long in the tooth (despite it flying through its Spanish ITV test this year). The 10 year (with services) Toyota warranty was my main reason to go Toyota. 

Obviously if I am out of the country 60% of the time the Yaris won't be started weekly, not even monthly at times. 

If I am reading the post here correctly I appear to have two choices to keep my Battery healthy. 

Either a solar charger or a Ctek solution, both of which are a not ideal. 

Solar involves leaving the car in direct sunlight, which kills the headlights and eats trim.

The Ctek charger would mean the car is kept in my garage, but I have concerns about how hot it would get in the summer months being on 24/7 for a month or more. 

I am somewhat reluctant to cancel my order (deposit paid etc), based solely on what has been written above, but I must admit to being somewhat concerned about the cars reliability. 

Are the above solutions my only choice?

I noticed someone mention li-on batteries on Tesla's are these incompatible with Toyota technology. (I'm not Battery tech savvy, so apologies for my ignorance). 

27 minutes ago, Expat_Yaris said:

Reading this with interest. I live in Spain 40% of the year currently. Just ordered a Yaris hybrid 

You can have car in the garage and fit a solar panel outside on a wall or a roof.

A more drastic option is disconnect the Battery but even then if standing for six month it will need recharging before refitting.

Use a ctek charger and set it on bike mode or ctek MXS 3.8 its fully automatic and will run cool as you not pushing 5 amps out of it at any time even in car mode.  (BEST CHOICE out of the three).

Enjoy your new car.

Expat_Yari said

The Ctek charger would mean the car is kept in my garage, but I have concerns about how hot it would get in the summer months being on 24/7 for a month or more. . 

I have had a CTEK 5 for 3 years now, being used on 2 Toyota hybrids, sometimes one straight after the first. I have not had any problem with over heating at all. If you were to leave it plugged in for weeks, once it is up to max charge it will just “tick over”, that is just kick in for a trickle when the Battery depletes to a set limit (set by the CTEX). Sort out the cable run and you could leave the car outside of the garage whilst the CTEX is plugged inside the garage, easy to sort.  You can always make covers for the headlamp (bulbs) using a material (your choice) and double sided tape.

• Like 1

The CTEK chargers are generally well-regarded and will look after themselves. They won't just cook themselves of overcharge the Battery. If Shmee150 can trust his fleet of supercars to them, I'm sure it will be fine.

But you're going from a Merc.... to a Yaris?? :eek: 

I think that alone will take a lot of getting used to!!!! :laugh: 

I think you might be missing the point.  Spain gets hot regardless of the charger.  The solar panel on top of a car port would keep the Battery topped up.  It does not even require direct sunlight to work.

• Like 2

Many thanks for the replies, I'm still positive about getting the car so will find the solution that works best. 

To answer Cyker's concern about moving from a Merc to a Yaris. The Merc is a 20 years old A class, I'm sure El Yaris will more than match it for size and features! 

Roy is correct that the heat and humidity in the garage is my main concern about the Ctek, its been over 40 degrees with 90% humidity at times! However I will give it a test over the winter months next year, assuming El Yaris arrives by then. 

I will probably have to do a mix and match of Ctek and solar charging depending on the time of year and how long it will be left inactive. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Expat_Yaris said:

I will probably have to do a mix and match of Ctek and solar charging depending on the time of year and how long it will be left inactive. 

I got my garage to hard wire a CTEK tail to the Battery with the socket just accessible by the read seat.  This is more convenient than using the clip on connection as that requires removing the appropriate fuse box cover and clipping on the the Positive terminal.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone with a Yaris Crossover 22 having problems with the car not starting?
I have heard  that if you do not do mileage of over 7,000 miles per annum, roughly twenty/thirty miles per day the 12volt Battery will not take enough charge.  Therefore,  not really suitable for low mileage users, (3,000/4000) annual mileage, or around town running. 
Out of the twelve months I’ve had my car, it’s spent three months over this time in Toyota garage. 
The courtesy new car I’ve had for four weeks, guess what, it failed to start! 
On another site I read that it cannot be left for two weeks parking whilst on holiday without a dead Battery on return.

I ask, should I have been informed on purchase that the car may not be suitable for low use mileage? 

I think you'll be ok if you put it in ready mode for 60 mins about once a week.

If you have a driveway or garage, give it a quick charge with a CTEK MXS 5.0 charger. Really easy to connect up, and doesn’t need to be on charge all the time, every couple of weeks in winter, perhaps every month in summer. Charges in around 5hrs and can be left on whilst you go on holiday or leave the car for prolonged periods.