Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance

FROSTYBALLS

On 9/18/2023 at 11:56 AM, Mr Billiards said:

The Corolla GR Sport I have on order will be my first hybrid Toyota.  Having previously always run Honda's or Mazda's.

I'm aware if the car is not used a great deal in order to keep the 12v battery healthy I can set the car in the ready condition in Park and the handbrake on for around 60 minutes to allow the car to charge the 12v battery. I will most likely do this while I carry out the weekly wash and vacuum inside. 

Apologies if this seems a stupid question.

My question is......with the car in the ready condition for 60 minutes or so does the key fob need to be left in the car?

No. It will complain and beep however.

You will find many reasons exist for beeping at you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moleman said:

No. It will complain and beep however.

You will find many reasons exist for beeping at you.

Thanks for the info, my present Mazda 3 also beeps for many reasons!!

• Haha 1

I've not had any Battery issues with any of my three Corolla Hybrids, but I have noticed that my 2023 version is pretty quick to ping the "Battery low" warning if I'm using the accessory setting. It did so today after about a minute as I was checking the map code number. I checked the Battery voltage and it was 12.19v. Is this OK or on the low side? (My car is also fitted with a non-Toyota branded battery as featured in an earlier thread on 12v batteries.)

10 minutes ago, RabButler said:

I've not had any battery issues with any of my three Corolla Hybrids, but I have noticed that my 2023 version is pretty quick to ping the "battery low" warning if I'm using the accessory setting. It did so today after about a minute as I was checking the map code number. I checked the battery voltage and it was 12.19v. Is this OK or on the low side? (My car is also fitted with a non-Toyota branded battery as featured in an earlier thread on 12v batteries.)

Tuning company owner:
"The normal voltage for vehicles with active smart charging is 12.2V maximum, so the Battery is subjected to permanent sulphation, which randomly alternates with overcharging. This is why the batteries of today's new cars last about 3 years instead of the usual 10 years.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 8:15 PM, RabButler said:

I've not had any battery issues with any of my three Corolla Hybrids, but I have noticed that my 2023 version is pretty quick to ping the "battery low" warning if I'm using the accessory setting. It did so today after about a minute as I was checking the map code number. I checked the battery voltage and it was 12.19v. Is this OK or on the low side? (My car is also fitted with a non-Toyota branded battery as featured in an earlier thread on 12v batteries.)

As you say, provided your voltmeter is accurate, its on the low side. I would suggest connecting to a smart charger for long enough to bring the voltage up to around 12.6 volts after it has stood for an hour or two after charging. It would also be worth checking the voltage after a long journey ( timewise ). If it hasn't reached 12.5-12.7 then the car is not charging it properly or the Battery is unsuitable. In my opinion accessory position is not of much use in a hybrid unless you have a strong reason for not wanting the engine to fire up occasionally. 

11 hours ago, roadster-rav said:

As you say, provided your voltmeter is accurate, its on the low side. I would suggest connecting to a smart charger for long enough to bring the voltage up to around 12.6 volts after it has stood for an hour or two after charging. It would also be worth checking the voltage after a long journey ( timewise ). If it hasn't reached 12.5-12.7 then the car is not charging it properly or the battery is unsuitable. In my opinion accessory position is not of much use in a hybrid unless you have a strong reason for not wanting the engine to fire up occasionally. 

Yes indeed. It's rubbish as a covert surveillance vehicle.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Having taken delivery of my first Toyota Hybrid this week, a 2023 Corolla, I thought I would give the 12V Battery some maintenance while washing the car.

I left the car in Ready Mode, in P and Hand Brake on. Was going to leave it in that condition for an hour as recommended by various posts and by Toyota.

However I noticed when I walked around the front of the car the daytime running lights were on, Is this correct or am I missing something regarding the daytime running lights.

I was concerned the daytime running lights would discharge the 12V Battery???  so I turned the car off.

Would appreciate advice on the above. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, Mr Billiards said:

I was concerned the daytime running lights would discharge the 12V battery???  so I turned the car off.

Well it would except that the HV Battery will keep the 12v Battery charged.  The HV Battery however will discharge as it tops up the 12v battery.  No worries, as the car is in Ready more the system will start the ICE to recharge the HV.

Sounds a bit weird but it all works and the ICE will only run for a few minutes at a time.  You can reduce the ICE running time by switching off the radio, the aircon and fan, windscreen wipers, and other lights.

On 10/22/2023 at 11:53 AM, Mr Billiards said:

Having taken delivery of my first Toyota Hybrid this week, a 2023 Corolla, I thought I would give the 12V battery some maintenance while washing the car.

I left the car in Ready Mode, in P and Hand Brake on. Was going to leave it in that condition for an hour as recommended by various posts and by Toyota.

However I noticed when I walked around the front of the car the daytime running lights were on, Is this correct or am I missing something regarding the daytime running lights.

I was concerned the daytime running lights would discharge the 12V battery???  so I turned the car off.

Would appreciate advice on the above. Thank you. 

If you enter the car without touching the gear selector meaning it is in 'P' then start up in ready mode the lights don't come on. As soon as you shift the gear selector the car thinks you are going to move and the lights will come on. If they do light up that's ok though. Just be sure no other systems are on like the aircon etc. But if it's dark or low light the headlights will come on regardless. So I personally don't do ready mode in these conditions.

20 hours ago, bigblock said:

If you enter the car without touching the gear selector meaning it is in 'P' then start up in ready mode the lights don't come on. As soon as you shift the gear selector the car thinks you are going to move and the lights will come on. If they do light up that's ok though. Just be sure no other systems are on like the aircon etc. But if it's dark or low light the headlights will come on regardless. So I personally don't do ready mode in these conditions.

Hi, thanks for the info. 

• 3 weeks later...

My new corola hybrid, 5 months old is already causing 12v Battery problems. Regularly dropping to 11+ volts overnight despite using a solar Battery maintainer and occasionally running in ready mode. I admit to being a low mileage user and owning a narrow boat on which I can spend weeks away from the car. This is my 3rd Toyota hybrid, the first no problems with the Battery, the 2nd problems after 3years and now this.

The car is currently at the dealership for a battery check, they will charge the battery overnight ? I have been given a list of do's and don'ts. Use the solar, run in ready mode when cleaning, don't repeatedly open and close the electric tail gate when removing goods unless in said ready mode. Ensure nothing is running, ie radio,air conditioning, heater when using ready mode to charge the batteries and to occasionally dab the accelerater to start the engine. This information was given to me in the form of a printout which they now give to new owners!!

When I sometimes start the car the auxilary socket shows a voltage of 11.7+ volts then I fit my mains charger to it when I return or next day if its raining ar returning late at night.

On 11/14/2023 at 8:45 PM, Brian Mortimer said:

My new corola hybrid, 5 months old is already causing 12v battery problems. Regularly dropping to 11+ volts overnight despite using a solar battery maintainer and occasionally running in ready mode. I admit to being a low mileage user and owning a narrow boat on which I can spend weeks away from the car. This is my 3rd Toyota hybrid, the first no problems with the battery, the 2nd problems after 3years and now this.

The car is currently at the dealership for a battery check, they will charge the battery overnight ? I have been given a list of do's and don'ts. Use the solar, run in ready mode when cleaning, don't repeatedly open and close the electric tail gate when removing goods unless in said ready mode. Ensure nothing is running, ie radio,air conditioning, heater when using ready mode to charge the batteries and to occasionally dab the accelerater to start the engine. This information was given to me in the form of a printout which they now give to new owners!!

I have recently taken delivery of a 2023 Corolla 2ltr GR Sport, I usually cover around 200 miles per week consisting of some very short runs around 10 to 15 minutes each and around four 30 minute runs.  I have also been advised to run in ready mode when cleaning and I switch everything off, I was not advised to dab the accelerator occasionally.

When in ready mode with everything switched off the main central LCD screen remains illuminated. Is there anyway to turn it of?

The reason for dabing the accelerator I am told is to start the petrol engine to charge the hybrid batteries because they will be used to charge the 12v Battery via a DC to DC charging circuit. 

21 minutes ago, Brian Mortimer said:

The reason for dabing the accelerator I am told is to start the petrol engine to charge the hybrid batteries because they will be used to charge the 12v battery via a DC to DC charging circuit. 

There is no need for that as the car will start the engine when the hybrid Battery becomes low and it will get recharged. Only don’t turn power off when engine is working and you have low hybrid Battery, wait the engine to turn off itself and then switch off the car. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2023 at 4:41 PM, Mr Billiards said:

When in ready mode with everything switched off the main central LCD screen remains illuminated. Is there anyway to turn it of?

The power button at the bottom of the screen where the volume buttons are?

16 minutes ago, McGeoch said:

The power button at the bottom of the screen where the volume buttons are?

Have tried that.

The power button turns off the radio, however the screen remains illuminated. 😂

• Haha 1

On 11/19/2023 at 1:52 PM, Mr Billiards said:

Have tried that.

The power button turns off the radio, however the screen remains illuminated. 😂

Go into Settings -> display … you will be able to turn off the screen from there

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DC_Ms said:

Go into Settings -> display … you will be able to turn off the screen from there

Thanks for the info 👍

• Like 1

If we visit family in Australia for 4/5 weeks, I always leave car connected to Ctek Smart trickle charger, via the + terminal under the bonnet.

on return the maintenance lights are all green on the charger, and the car all sweetness and light 

• Like 2

On 11/26/2023 at 2:15 PM, DC_Ms said:

This my be a silly question. If I turn the display off and the screen is blank, how do I turn the display back on?

When it used to work on mine the power switch just toggled between off and on.

Now it just reboots when I press the power button.

On 12/7/2023 at 9:00 AM, Mr Billiards said:

This my be a silly question. If I turn the display off and the screen is blank, how do I turn the display back on?

Just simply tap the screen and it will come back on 👍

13 hours ago, DC_Ms said:

Just simply tap the screen and it will come back on 👍

Thanks for that, much appreciated. I will give it a try next time I wash the car and leave it in ready mode for an hour.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 4:34 PM, barrycoll said:

If we visit family in Australia for 4/5 weeks, I always leave car connected to Ctek Smart trickle charger, via the + terminal under the bonnet.

on return the maintenance lights are all green on the charger, and the car all sweetness and light 

When you use the Ctek via the + in the fuse box terminal under the bonnet , where do you connect the negative lead to.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links