Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

John Walton

I notice there are very few New Prius in the. Dealerships, and used ones seem to be in short supply  why is this, are they being discontinued of so why.

Maybe low demand for Prius at the moment, those been mostly bought by ph drivers and for delivery, recent years many of them switched to full electric cars and Prius las lost its crown been the best seller. There is Corolla now that takes a big part too. 

17 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Maybe low demand for Prius at the moment, those been mostly bought by ph drivers and for delivery, recent years many of them switched to full electric cars and Prius las lost its crown been the best seller. There is Corolla now that takes a big part too. 

Supply of new cars is being restricted by the shortage of "chips" from Taiwan. Owners of Prius cars usually keep them for a long time.

The new Corolla range is exceptionally good.

I have read that the Prius is discontinued and I'm not surprised.  As hybrids and EVs are becoming mainstream they don't need to look quite so "special" to attract buyers.

Just now, Yugguy1970 said:

I have read that the Prius is discontinued and I'm not surprised.  As hybrids and EVs are becoming mainstream they don't need to look quite so "special" to attract buyers.

Where have you read that Guy ?

4 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Like John & probably a few others on this forum, I’d also like to know where you read that the Prius was being discontinued?

Have a Google.  The mpv, the Prius c and the touring are all going and the Prius main will be next.

I meant no disrespect to the cars or their owners but it used to be that hybrids/EVs sold to a certain type of customer and needed to be styled that way.  But now why buy a Prius when you can get a Corolla hybrid?

Well I read completely different article in us site and the info is that a new 2023 Prius gen 5 is coming with introduction of next generation self charging hybrid system and a new slick design similar to Tesla model s,. All rumours but you never know. Prius is a very special car, it’s not just made to look different for specific clients but for aerodynamic purpose and beats Corolla for efficiency. They could had done a bit better though as it’s love or hate game but still a deal breaker if you are about efficiency and reliability. 👍

• Like 1

After my experience of my Priusi & their total reliability I reckon Toyota who I’ve heard are working on an all electric vehicle in collaboration with Suzuki & Subaru, would do well to consider an all electric vehicle based on the Prius design. The aerodynamic qualities alone, which were developed to squeeze extra MPG, would surely also give an all electric version more MPG & an edge when compared with other manufacturers all electric models, many of which seem to have forgotten about aerodynamics with their very chunky designs. Besides this the Prius is an extremely safe & reliable car to drive. If I was Toyota I would certainly consider all the research & development they put into producing the Prius over the years & at least base an all electric car on the Prius, after all if it ain’t bust don’t fix it!

Edited by BhxTrev
Grammatical error due to predictive text being switched on!

The Prius C was discontinued at the end of 2019, though the Aqua (version sold in some Asian markets) was produced beyond this date. The Prius+ ended production in 2020 due partly to low demand for MPVs. It is rumoured a 5th generation Prius may be launched in 2023.

Sales of the Prius have been in decline globally for some time - since 2011 in Europe and since 2013 in the US. New UK sales for January to April 2021 were less than 500 for the Prius and Prius PHEV combined.

As regards electric vehicles, Toyota will be basing their BEV's on the e-TNGA platform being co-developed with Subaru, and the first BEV for Europe will probably be the production version of the BZ4x concept - BZ standing for 'Beyond Zero'. 

Toyota already have BEV versions of the C-HR being produced by two joint ventures in China.

• Like 2

Many thanks FB.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links